Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightbulb Tweaks & Solutions to the debacle of judges in boxing

There have been quite a few threads about this issue on this forum and on many other sites. There have been countless radio discussions and the general solution has always been to create a league and a boxers union.

One would make sure that the integrity of the game is pristine and the other would prevent promoters to rob boxers blind as well as a retirement fund, medical and disability, etc..

Since this would only really work if somehow the Nevada, California and New York Commission all suddenly become decent and work hand in hand with the money bringers of all divisions, I somehow doubt this will happen.

I was researching to see how the judges actually get paid and who decides which judge officiate what fight. To my horror it is indirectly the promoters. This is as indirect as an open secret mind you. The promoter pays for the travel ticket(s), the hotel, the expenses, and most important one of all. The promoter will make sure you get hired again.

Every man has a right to work but that system ensures if you, the judge, want to work then you must do whatever you can to make your employers happy.

So scratching my head I decided since the overall system can't be changed why not just change the employer from the promoters to the two boxers. They pay sanctioning fees and all these other expenses. But I believe if an equal fee from the boxers pay cheques would go to the judge’s then judge would have no hesitation or qualms about making the right call since he’ll be paid again and again regardless of the promoters.

He would get paid if the money maker gets upset by a less than exciting fighter. He would get paid if a house boxer gets dominated by a foreigner (looking at you Cloud.) Not only that but since the boxers both have to agree on the judges they would pick the ones that they know would make the right call because boxers believe they’re going be victorious so why not go with the one that would judge right?

In summery let the fighters pay an equal amount to the judges the same way they would for their trainers and cornermen.

All this said and done I know that every system has its flaws as I'm sure this one does too but I am looking forward to any input anyone else has.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tweaks & Solutions to the debacle of judges in boxing

Seriously? The promoters have a hand in hiring the judges? How much say do the promoters get exactly?

Can you explain exactly how the process works because that's disgraceful if that's the case. Certainly makes the robberies a lot more explainable..Maybe I'm just late to this party..

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tweaks & Solutions to the debacle of judges in boxing

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    There have been quite a few threads about this issue on this forum and on many other sites. There have been countless radio discussions and the general solution has always been to create a league and a boxers union.

One would make sure that the integrity of the game is pristine and the other would prevent promoters to rob boxers blind as well as a retirement fund, medical and disability, etc..

Since this would only really work if somehow the Nevada, California and New York Commission all suddenly become decent and work hand in hand with the money bringers of all divisions, I somehow doubt this will happen.

I was researching to see how the judges actually get paid and who decides which judge officiate what fight. To my horror it is indirectly the promoters. This is as indirect as an open secret mind you. The promoter pays for the travel ticket(s), the hotel, the expenses, and most important one of all. The promoter will make sure you get hired again.

Every man has a right to work but that system ensures if you, the judge, want to work then you must do whatever you can to make your employers happy.

So scratching my head I decided since the overall system can't be changed why not just change the employer from the promoters to the two boxers. They pay sanctioning fees and all these other expenses. But I believe if an equal fee from the boxers pay cheques would go to the judge’s then judge would have no hesitation or qualms about making the right call since he’ll be paid again and again regardless of the promoters.

He would get paid if the money maker gets upset by a less than exciting fighter. He would get paid if a house boxer gets dominated by a foreigner (looking at you Cloud.) Not only that but since the boxers both have to agree on the judges they would pick the ones that they know would make the right call because boxers believe they’re going be victorious so why not go with the one that would judge right?

In summery let the fighters pay an equal amount to the judges the same way they would for their trainers and cornermen.

All this said and done I know that every system has its flaws as I'm sure this one does too but I am looking forward to any input anyone else has.
    Great idea. My only suggestion would be that purses can sometimes be dramatically different for a name fighter and his opponent that perhaps an equal percentage be taken from their purse to pay for judges instead of an equal amount when the disparity is so big between the two fighter's paychecks.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good idea if there's a very large difference between the boxers payday

Thread Information