Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well done Cotto for learning English so well!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Well done Cotto for learning English so well!

This is something that I observe quite closely in fighters who pursue their career overseas. I look at someone like Manny and you can see that his English is at the same basic level it always seems to have been. Cotto on the other hand was someone who clearly didn't know very much beyond 'Hello' and 'Thank you' in his fight promotions and yet is now able to converse and put together fairly well constructed sentences and express himself with a great degree of clarity. You can see the progression over a few years and it always pleases me to see fighters make these kinds of linguistic progressions. On the other hand you get fighters like Mayorga who have never given a hoot about the whole process and that is fair enough too. However, I like to see a fighter make an attempt to become more mainstream by broadening their linguistic palate to some degree.

Cotto speaks better English than Roger Mayweather which says a lot. So, well done Cotto!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Well done Cotto for learning English so well!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    This is something that I observe quite closely in fighters who pursue their career overseas. I look at someone like Manny and you can see that his English is at the same basic level it always seems to have been. Cotto on the other hand was someone who clearly didn't know very much beyond 'Hello' and 'Thank you' in his fight promotions and yet is now able to converse and put together fairly well constructed sentences and express himself with a great degree of clarity. You can see the progression over a few years and it always pleases me to see fighters make these kinds of linguistic progressions. On the other hand you get fighters like Mayorga who have never given a hoot about the whole process and that is fair enough too. However, I like to see a fighter make an attempt to become more mainstream by broadening their linguistic palate to some degree.

Cotto speaks better English than Roger Mayweather which says a lot. So, well done Cotto!
    Roger's muther-fucking vocabulary isn't real muther-fucking extensive, but the muther-fucker do speak afro-english mo-fukin' fluently.

Cotto did a good job learning english, I respect him for that, that's one of the reasons i'm a fan.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Especially considering how difficult it is to learn a second language as an adult. The time to learn other languages is when you're a child. Once you're an adult, the difficulty increases exponentially. So yeah... Cotto should be very proud of that accomplishment. Us fans certainly are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair to Roger....he ain't got no mo'fukkin teeth

y'all don't know shit about speaking english

Cotto does speak very good English. I understand him better than some American fighters...which is kinda sad.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I'm not mistaken Puerto Ricans by default are American citizens. So shouldn't an American citizen be fluent in the English language?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post

If I'm not mistaken Puerto Ricans by default are American citizens. So shouldn't an American citizen be fluent in the English language?
    Not really. With the amount of immigration to the states a large proportion of American's are now functionally illiterate. You have Korea town areas where English is broken at best and then a lot of Mexican immigrants who can barely string collective words together. That's a lot of people who can't really speak English.

Cotto is doing well, I give full props to the man. His English is much better than my Korean. Though I am sure he has received plenty of instruction from his large friend. I wish I had a fat Korean friend who I could share a bed with.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

umm all Canadians are Canadian citizens yet the whole population of Quebec doesn't speak english, we're a commonwealth same as Guam, and again I'm sure that they don't speak if fluently either, Cotto learned english using Rosetta Stone, and has said on numerous occasions that he did it so that he would never have to rely on a translator to speak for him only to go on and misinterpret what he's really trying to say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Cotto tons of credit. A working mans fighter who puts family value 1st. Real Classy guy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is a class act..always has been.

Although give Pac some credit..his English has improved a little. Nowhere near as much as Miguels but it's better than it was. Plus, he's a boxer not a language teacher..so he's just "doing his job"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The issue of U.S. citizenship has nothing to do with the native language of Puerto Rico, which happens to be Spanish. Spanish has been spoken here since the island was first colonized by Spain. Given our current ties to the U.S. and our citizen status, yes... there are many Puerto Ricans who can speak and write English fluently, and English is taught in all schools.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito never learnt to his eternal shame.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See, I've got nothing against immigrants who come to America and don't learn to speak English. Because to be fair, I'm not going to even attempt to learn another language. So I don't blame them.

But Cotto has a lot of my respect. The dude is a pure professional. He learned to speak English better than most Americans just so that he could have good interviews and represent himself. Cotto doesn't mess around.

I don't know if there is a single boxer alive at the moment that I give more respect to than I do Cotto. The guy should be the overall representation of what boxers are when they do the right things with their careers and do the sport right. Screw Floyd.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    LOL

On a side note I think Cotto speaks better English than Sam Peter ever did.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why? English is not the official language of America.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

His Spanish is sometimes hard to understand too. But we love the guy. Tito will never be replaced.

Thread Information