Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After last night. Cotto vs Alvarez anyone.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default After last night. Cotto vs Alvarez anyone.

They both looked good in my book last night. Cotto would be the next step for Alvarez to get closer to Floyd or Pac. However after last night Cotto does not look like a very easy stepping stone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: After last night. Cotto vs Alvarez anyone.

This was exactly what I was thinking after the fight. Man I honestly don't know who would win this fight now. If you would of asked me yesterday I would tell you Canelo stops Cotto... Now I honestly don't know. I could def see Cotto upsetting Canelo. Hopefully they make the fight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a no brainer to me. Cotto takes him, Canelo is a kid who hasn't fought anyone in the top 10 yet never mind beating the top fighter in the division. Shot Mosley, Shot Cintron, Gomez, Rhodes and 'Magic' Matthew Hatton These are his last five fights, all whilst he was champion or became champion. Those names don't compare to Cotto nevermind thinking of him as a stepping stone towards Floyd or Pacman. The kid will be the top fighter in boxing one day but that day is not until more than a few years time.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a fight I'd love to see.

But then I do constantly forget Canelo is just 21!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cotto walks thru alvarez. miguel's head movement, defense and stamina were impressive against mayweather. whereas canelo was taken to the judges by a old man who threw arm punches all night. alvarez seemed either afraid to throw for a whole round or lacks the fitness level to do so.

cotto ko 7.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said a couples yrs back and I'll say it today.
    Cotto beats Alvarez 9 out of 10 times.

I'd put all my money on Cotto. As good as Alvarez looked he would be troubled by Cottos boxing skills. Cotto is well seasoned and IMO did not show signs of being done as people have claimed him to be since the Margarito loss.

I've been a strong faithfull Cotto fan literally from day 1 and I call it like I see it.
    I really don't see anyone beating him at 154. I just don't...

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This would be a good fight now and it is a tough fight for both. Cotto would be favourite but Alvarez can hurt Cotto.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    This is a no brainer to me. Cotto takes him, Canelo is a kid who hasn't fought anyone in the top 10 yet never mind beating the top fighter in the division. Shot Mosley, Shot Cintron, Gomez, Rhodes and 'Magic' Matthew Hatton These are his last five fights, all whilst he was champion or became champion. Those names don't compare to Cotto nevermind thinking of him as a stepping stone towards Floyd or Pacman. The kid will be the top fighter in boxing one day but that day is not until more than a few years time.
    I agree with this completely. I think Cotto/Martinez would be a better, more competitive fight. Alvarez should fight Kirkland; he is in no way ready for Cotto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez isn't mature enough to deal with a Cotto fighting at a measured pace and is already having problems making 154. His fight against Shane said a lot about him, Shane didn't seem to have any pop on his punches and most of the speed was gone, but Alvarez still took the punches from him and even got into a body shot contest of sorts with Shane. The amount of offense Shane was able to land on him Cotto would be able to get on him at a much measured pace and his shots would be a lot harder especially his body shots.

Now Cotto doesn't like hits to the body and Alvarez may find something there, but the fact that Shane had moderate success going to his body makes me cringe with what body shots from Cotto would do.

It depends on the middle rounds, against Mayweather Cotto seemed to tired during some of the mid rounds when Mayweather committed to his body with his jab which is why Cotto spend half a round being defensive and letting Floyd press him, I feel if Floyd had stayed to the body he probably would have stopped him, but for one reason or another he didn't press in that round or the next few and Cotto came back on strong till the last few rounds. Cotto could also have tired because of the combination of Floyd making him miss in addition to the body shots.

The thing is, Alvarez wouldn't give Cotto the time to regather himself like Floyd seemed to do by not pressing when he had him dead to rights. If Alvarez had Cotto tired and defensive in the middle rounds he'd be pressing and punishing him with more body shots and Cotto would be stopped late.

But honestly that's the only scenario I can see Alvarez beating him with. I can take much more from his performance against Mosley that tells me that Cotto probably beatsh him than I can take from Cotto's performance against Mayweather to say that Alvarez would beat him.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Alvarez isn't mature enough to deal with a Cotto fighting at a measured pace and is already having problems making 154. His fight against Shane said a lot about him, Shane didn't seem to have any pop on his punches and most of the speed was gone, but Alvarez still took the punches from him and even got into a body shot contest of sorts with Shane. The amount of offense Shane was able to land on him Cotto would be able to get on him at a much measured pace and his shots would be a lot harder especially his body shots.

Now Cotto doesn't like hits to the body and Alvarez may find something there, but the fact that Shane had moderate success going to his body makes me cringe with what body shots from Cotto would do.

It depends on the middle rounds, against Mayweather Cotto seemed to tired during some of the mid rounds when Mayweather committed to his body with his jab which is why Cotto spend half a round being defensive and letting Floyd press him, I feel if Floyd had stayed to the body he probably would have stopped him, but for one reason or another he didn't press in that round or the next few and Cotto came back on strong till the last few rounds. Cotto could also have tired because of the combination of Floyd making him miss in addition to the body shots.

The thing is, Alvarez wouldn't give Cotto the time to regather himself like Floyd seemed to do by not pressing when he had him dead to rights. If Alvarez had Cotto tired and defensive in the middle rounds he'd be pressing and punishing him with more body shots and Cotto would be stopped late.

But honestly that's the only scenario I can see Alvarez beating him with. I can take much more from his performance against Mosley that tells me that Cotto probably beatsh him than I can take from Cotto's performance against Mayweather to say that Alvarez would beat him.

That is the blueprint for Alvarez and I think its a given that he can accomplish it. Alvarez does great work to the body and has the power to hurt Cotto. As we seen last night Cotto did have a back peddle round when Floyd was pressing him (I think it was in the 5th) The only reason Cotto didnt tire was because he stopped doing that but against a strong preassure fighter like Alvarez he would start doing that around the 4th round and be finished around the 9th.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes and Matthew Hatton and a shot Mosley went the distance with him.

For all the devastating power puncher propaganda HBO gives us about red headed fuck, he is not a KO puncher.

He's a hard puncher sure, and he looked good, but what was coming back at him ?

Patty cake.

With Cotto it would be another story, also I doubt Cotto would tire as he did last night since Alvarez fights at a very measured pace, a bit like he's sparring sometimes.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think mosley looked shot at all. He was throwing punches all the way through the fight and was being hit left, right and center but still managed to get to the end and look reasonably fresh. His opponenent before Alvarez was Pac and unlike Cotto got to the end of the fight.
    The danger I see for Cotto in this fight would be Alvarez waring him down like Margarito did with punches. I think Cotto probably has better technique and definately better defence.
    Who has the power, I would probably say alvarez. They both have good speed.
    I would say over all a good close fight. Possibly leading towards Cotto but would not be suprised either way.
    Overall much more competitive than Cotto Floyd.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ill say it again, the lad is just 21!

Most fighters are not even pro yet, let alone having 40 fights under their belts. He's bound to have some failings and he is working up through the different skilled fighters nicely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Yes and Matthew Hatton and a shot Mosley went the distance with him.

For all the devastating power puncher propaganda HBO gives us about red headed fuck, he is not a KO puncher.

He's a hard puncher sure, and he looked good, but what was coming back at him ?

Patty cake.

With Cotto it would be another story, also I doubt Cotto would tire as he did last night since Alvarez fights at a very measured pace, a bit like he's sparring sometimes.
    Exactly. There is no way he is ready for the likes of Cotto, Mayweather and Pacquiao.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo beats anyone at 154. MONEYGRAM!!! Mayweather(and I'm a big fan of PBF boxing skills), Cotto, Pacman and Martinez. All by KO.

Cotto next fight should be Alvarez for that is worth a PPV buy. Not Kirkland!!! But if Cotto dont fight Alvarez here a few other good fights for Cotto . . .
    Molina
    Lara
    K-9(trained by Manny Steward and have a title)

Thread Information