Thread: Lucian Bute vs. Carl Froch Saturday fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was the type of fight that brings new people to the sport. A modern classic. Spectacle and excitement and proving the naysayers wrong. From a British point of view, absolutely top drawer. Legend.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lucian Bute vs. Carl Froch Saturday fight thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    It was the type of fight that brings new people to the sport. A modern classic. Spectacle and excitement and proving the naysayers wrong. From a British point of view, absolutely top drawer. Legend.
    Aren't 'classics' usually competitive?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Bute has a rematch clause in the contract? Even in Canada I wouldn't think Bute would fancy it.
    Yeah, but what's left for Bute other then a rematch in Canada? At this point, it's pretty much his main option, and he came back well from what was basically a loss to Andrade and KO'd him in the rematch.

I believe Bute underestimated Froch and gave him an advantage fighting him at home, a rematch in Montreal would be interesting.
    If it was a fairly close fight then I think his people would be champing at the bit to take a rematch. However, if they see it like I do, that is Bute would get battered in front of his home crowd in a similar fashion, then I would look at all other options before committing to a rematch.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Bute has a rematch clause in the contract? Even in Canada I wouldn't think Bute would fancy it.
    Yeah, but what's left for Bute other then a rematch in Canada? At this point, it's pretty much his main option, and he came back well from what was basically a loss to Andrade and KO'd him in the rematch.

I believe Bute underestimated Froch and gave him an advantage fighting him at home, a rematch in Montreal would be interesting.
    He'll go back to fighting a motley collection of cab-drivers, nobodies, and faded former champs in no time while Froch will go on to beat Kessler (again) and lose to Ward (again).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Did Froch win by ko ? Anyone call it a blowout, or solid beat down?

Didn't see shate of it on stream or tv
    Bute was showing some southpaw slick head movement and a glimpse of the left hand but Froch was so damned determined to impose himself with right hands that would make Jim Lampley loose his voice, he just took over the fight from round 3 buzzing Bute almost at will, Bute was all over the place from round 4 and just out on his feet in the 5th. Cracking fight ,so proud of Froch!!
    Thanks bud. I really didn't envision Froch literally steamrolling him. The momentum is diffcult to retain once a guy refuses to let things settle down. Do wonder if they'll rematch though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How many times has Froch been champion now? He keeps losing it then winning a world title back.

Is this the third or fourth time? He's carving himself into legendry status for sure, against many, many doubters.

He has such an odd looking technique and will lose against any pure boxers every time, but anyone who wants to have a war, he'll give them one hell of a fight.

The problem with Froch vs Kessler is that they are both very similar. It's always going to be a close, but brilliant scrap. I couldn't split them last time, so many rounds where they beat each other up equally, it was just a matter of opinion. I've watched that fight so many times now and each time I just cannot decide who to give rounds too.

I'd love to see Froch vs Martinez. Froch could drop weight easy, he looked a weight class lower than Bute I thought tonight. So much so, when they walked to the ring and then when they started the fight, I was worried he would get bullied.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd happily watch Bute vs Froch 2, in Canada. If its anything like this one, I'd be very happy.

For the first 2 and a half rounds, it was a brilliant scrap. The whole fight was brilliant, but in the early rounds they were both landing and blocking with they faces.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Not always. From a British point of view it was a classic performance and in the wider international Boxing sense it was a perfectly executed example of what makes this noble art so exciting, visceral and unpredictable. Classics do not have to be perfectly matched 12 round tit for tat wars. Some times one sided beat downs are worthy of the title.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was very competitive for most the fight, they were both landing, just Froch was doing more damage.

Until the KO, I was still expecting Bute to land a massive shot and wobble Froch at any moment.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not always. From a British point of view it was a classic performance and in the wider international Boxing sense it was a perfectly executed example of what makes this noble art so exciting, visceral and unpredictable. Classics do not have to be perfectly matched 12 round tit for tat wars. Some times one sided beat downs are worthy of the title.
    I disagree entirely. I can't think of a single one-sided beating that I would consider a classic.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    It was very competitive for most the fight, they were both landing, just Froch was doing more damage.

Until the KO, I was still expecting Bute to land a massive shot and wobble Froch at any moment.
    Bute had a couple of moments where he caught Froch with counters, but I can think of only one exchange where he actually got the better of Froch. For the most part, it was total domination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post

Bute had a couple of moments where he caught Froch with counters, but I can think of only one exchange where he actually got the better of Froch. For the most part, it was total domination.
    I just got back from the fight and some comments....

Bute didnt do shit but twitch.
    Froch steam rollered him but his technique is still horrendous...

Bute didnt do shit but twitch...

How Froch continues to win is just odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree entirely. I can't think of a single one-sided beating that I would consider a classic.
    I'm from Nottingham and support Froch to the fullest... but I dont understand... at all...how he wins

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Greenbeanz. A classic can also be an underdog upsetting the odds and smashing their opponent up. Calzaghe/Lazy will always be a classic in that regard. This one should be considered one too. It was intense, exciting and had everyone on their feet. That's a classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I agree with Greenbeanz. A classic can also be an underdog upsetting the odds and smashing their opponent up. Calzaghe/Lazy will always be a classic in that regard. This one should be considered one too. It was intense, exciting and had everyone on their feet. That's a classic.
    I didn't get any of that where I was... It was more a sense of bewilderment around me.

Thread Information