Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Do pro fighters ever spar with fight gloves for timing ? (8 or 10 oz)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do pro fighters ever spar with fight gloves for timing ? (8 or 10 oz)

My Dad seems to believe that Pacquaio and others preparing for a world title fight MUST at some point begin sparring with the same size gloves they are to fight with. He claims otherwise their timing would be off terribly and thinks that the face saver headgear means that sparring with fight gloves would be possible without risking cuts, serious injury, etc.

I've never heard of any pro fighters, boxers or mma, sparring with 8 oz gloves, or the same gloves they are to fight with.

The general rule for sparring is that you use 16 oz gloves, or in some gyms 14 oz.

Am I right ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do pro fighters ever spar with fight gloves for timing ? (8 or 10 oz)

In the old, old days, when they used to fight with four ounce gloves, they sparred with eights. I don't think they ever do any more. The last time I really watched a pro prepare for a fight, it was the guy that fought DeLeon on the undercard of Marquez/Barrera...his name escapes me...but I watched him train 8 or 9 times over three weeks and he always sparred with big gloves.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do pro fighters ever spar with fight gloves for timing ? (8 or 10 oz)

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    In the old, old days, when they used to fight with four ounce gloves, they sparred with eights. I don't think they ever do any more. The last time I really watched a pro prepare for a fight, it was the guy that fought DeLeon on the undercard of Marquez/Barrera...his name escapes me...but I watched him train 8 or 9 times over three weeks and he always sparred with big gloves.
    Thanks I was hoping you would respond as you one of the most knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to actual boxing.

At the few gyms I've trained at (3 mma gyms & 1 boxing gym) it has always been 16 oz gloves, or in one case 12 oz with no head gear cus the mma guys don't know any better and are sort of assholes

At a SAL boxing gym in Delhi, CA where the trainer had a couple top young amatuers including one Jr. Olympic champion, he was almost offended when I asked if they sparred with 16 oz and headgear.

"ALWAYS 16 oz and headgear. You don't wear headgear you don't spar."

Unfortunately I only got to go there twice and never got to spar. I was the oldest and only white boy.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I lived in Phoenix, there were (and are) a lot of gyms there,and there were several guys that were looking to turn pro and were close in weight. They were having trouble getting fights so, on Saturdays after the 6 or 8 kids I had went home, they'd set up matches. There would be a few bouts and they'd go 4 rounds, fighting, not sparring, but with headgear and big gloves.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I lived in Phoenix, there were (and are) a lot of gyms there,and there were several guys that were looking to turn pro and were close in weight. They were having trouble getting fights so, on Saturdays after the 6 or 8 kids I had went home, they'd set up matches. There would be a few bouts and they'd go 4 rounds, fighting, not sparring, but with headgear and big gloves.
    Sounds a lot like a smoker, but tougher and more vicious due to being 4, 3 min rounds with near pro level boxers.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were some pretty good matches. The one guy had been the #1 ranked amateur in his weight class, and was 13-3 as a pro last time I checked. He has 1 DQ loss, but has only been fighting every 12-16 months for some time now. One of the other guys was a 5'10" 140pounder. He was real tough, never got tired and then somebody taught him to turn his punches over and he started knocking guys out. He got to 5-0 with 4 and gave it up.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried on some light gloves recently, have only ever wore big 16oz ones (have never had a real fight)

When I put the big gloves back on again they felt awful! So big and heavy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were some pretty good matches. The one guy had been the #1 ranked amateur in his weight class, and was 13-3 as a pro last time I checked. He has 1 DQ loss, but has only been fighting every 12-16 months for some time now. One of the other guys was a 5'10" 140pounder. He was real tough, never got tired and then somebody taught him to turn his punches over and he started knocking guys out. He got to 5-0 with 4 and gave it up.
    Whats his reason for stopping grey?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Whats his reason for stopping grey?
    I don't know. I know he was knocked down in his last bout, which he won by unanimous decision anyway. By that time my health adventures had begun and I was no longer in the gym 6 days a week.

Thread Information