Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: If I hear "Bad Decisions are Part of Boxing" one more time.....

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If I hear "Bad Decisions are Part of Boxing" one more time.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If I hear "Bad Decisions are Part of Boxing" one more time.....

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Youll huff and youll puff and youll blow your straw house down??
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post

Youll huff and youll puff and youll blow your straw house down??

onix

onix

onix

onix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate that this robbery was committed in the eyes of millions all over the world.
    This gives a current black eye to boxing, as if it wasn't already scarred.
    I love the sport, and though I may not be a Pacquiao fan, I hate to to see this happen to anyone.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bad decisions are part of all walks of life
    Hidden Content

If it's yellow, let it mellow... If it's brown, invite me 'round...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brian its all part of the game, there are alot of bad decisions and this by far hasnt been the worst its just the one on the biggest stage for a while.

But get over it.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand but unfortunately these things are accepted as part of the package and that's probably what makes it so hard to take. If one digs into the historical archives such things have been happening since John L Sullivan put on a pair of gloves. And that's the crux of the problem. There is really nothing wrong with the ten point must system but rather the antiquated way its constantly abused or rather circumvented. I mean look at the Rios/Abril fight. That was ten times worse then this. What pisses me off to no end is the fact that they all know its broken and they all stick their heads in the sand.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

I understand but unfortunately these things are accepted as part of the package and that's probably what makes it so hard to take. If one digs into the historical archives such things have been happening since John L Sullivan put on a pair of gloves. And that's the crux of the problem. There is really nothing wrong with the ten point must system but rather the antiquated way its constantly abused or rather circumvented. I mean look at the Rios/Abril fight. That was ten times worse then this. What pisses me off to no end is the fact that they all know its broken and they all stick their heads in the sand.

This is my basic point, bro. The "bad decision" problem can fixed, like any other problem. The defeatist attitude of "sticking your head in the sand" isn't going to fix this problem, just like it never fixes any other problem. When people accept something that's broken as unavoidable..... we're cheating ourselves.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is my basic point, bro. The "bad decision" problem can fixed, like any other problem. The defeatist attitude of "sticking your head in the sand" isn't going to fix this problem, just like it never fixes any other problem. When people accept something that's broken as unavoidable..... we're cheating ourselves.
    We are on the same page. You have to wonder how systemic it is and yet I see really good judged fights all the time. The controversy always seems to find its way to the higher profile fights. The only reason I can come up with is the judges. Everything else in the sport has evolved except that? Hire the right judge, make the off handed remark, pay for his flight and hotel and it seems you really dont have to request anything.

This is a pretty deep topic so I hope you don't mind my long winded response.

Boxing has become more flawed since it left network tv. What you have today is a small group of fighters making millions, getting all the tv dates and all the rest toil in obscurity. HBO actually decides who fighters fight. Wtf? This trial is completely out of order but we are going to continue anyway. Shit Montiel never even made 6 figures before Donaire and Floyd and Manny could not make it work for 50 million a piece. Leonard and Duran fought twice in one year. Today its a fast food era. I bet half the people that buy these ppvs only do it because they are having a party. Not sure they even care what the event is.

Bit of a silver lining. Once these primaddona poster boy Bieber like stars sail off into the sunset, boxing is going to have to reinvent itself. They will have to.

After watching this sport for 40 plus years I'm going to remain optimistic. I think its going to implode somewhat over the next decade but in the end I believe it will be the better for it. 10 years is a blink in time.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We are on the same page. You have to wonder how systemic it is and yet I see really good judged fights all the time. The controversy always seems to find its way to the higher profile fights. The only reason I can come up with is the judges. Everything else in the sport has evolved except that? Hire the right judge, make the off handed remark, pay for his flight and hotel and it seems you really dont have to request anything.

Boxing has become more flawed since it left network tv. What you have today is a small group of fighters making millions, getting all the tv dates and all the rest toil in obscurity. HBO actually decides who fighters fight. Wtf? This trial is completely out of order but we are going to continue anyway. Shit Montiel never even made 6 figures before Donaire and Floyd and Manny could not make it work for 50 million a piece. Leonard and Duran fought twice in one year. Today its a fast food era. I bet half the people that buy these ppvs only do it because they are having a party. Not sure they even care what the event is.

Bit of a silver lining. Once these primaddona poster boy Bieber like stars sail off into the sunset, boxing is going to have to reinvent itself. They will have to.

After watching this sport for 40 plus years I'm going to remain optimistic. I think its going to implode somewhat over the next decade but in the end I believe it will be the better for it. 10 years is a blink in time.

I certainly hope you're right in that the sport will reinvent itself and survive. People sleep on the fact that boxing has seemingly been around forever, and just assume it always will. So they choose to ignore the problems and write them off as "bad decisions are part of the sport."

But boxing really needs people who care and are willing to work to come up with a fix to the problem. Other sports work with their problems, tweaking the rulebook, making new rules, always looking to make the sport better. Why can't boxing? There's a lot of good minds in this forum. There's also a few closed minds. Let's hope that the open minds will prevail, and the fixes will come. That's why I started the other thread saying: "Maybe what we need is a few more incredibly bad decisions." Sort of trying to force the issue, I believe. Making it so bad that people can't ignore the problem anymore. In the meantime, we continue to wring our hands, and people in and out of boxing laugh at the sport and turn their attentions to other sports, such as MMA.

Apparently, I have to verbally spar with one or two jackasses here while making these points, but the vast majority of the forum cares and, whether they agree or not, they know where I'm coming from. Thanks for being one of those who geniunely cares.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 06-12-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I certainly hope you're right in that the sport will reinvent itself and survive. People sleep on the fact that boxing has seemingly been around forever, and just assume it always will. So they choose to ignore the problems and write them off as "bad decisions are part of the sport."

But boxing really needs people who care and are willing to work to come up with a fix to the problem. Other sports work with their problems, tweaking the rulebook, making new rules, always looking to make the sport better. Why can't boxing? There's a lot of good minds in this forum. There's also a few closed minds. Let's hope that the open minds will prevail, and the fixes will come. That's why I started the other thread saying: "Maybe what we need is a few more incredibly bad decisions." Sort of trying to force the issue, I believe. Making it so bad that people can't ignore the problem anymore. In the meantime, we continue to wring our hands, and people in and out of boxing laugh at the sport and turn their attentions to other sports, such as MMA.

Apparently, I have to verbally spar with one or two jackasses while making these points, but the vast majority of the forum cares and, whether they agree or not, they know where I'm coming from. Thanks for being one of those who geniunely cares.

Forums are all about the argument and not really about boxing. Its why I frequent them less. This is a pretty cool forum for the most part but I don't live here. It makes little difference to me whether some Johnny on the spot shoots me a one liner text message across this medium. I may engage them a bit depending how retarded they are and then just ignore them altogether.

Chavez jr is going to fight Lee this weekend and probably weigh 185. End of story. Its not just last weekend.

Peace bud and thanks for the convo.

Thread Information