Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo to face Ortiz

They mentioned this on FNF and the Beavis laugh was instant. Solid fight! Ortiz has the wingspan of a Condor and he should be able to carry 154 at this point no problem. His straight punches and attack mode (minus the head etc) could really tell alot about Canelo. Don't care who wins, only care about the opening bell ringing. Close really but go with Canelo.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo didn't impress me in his fight with mosely. he looked overly tentative against a guy who showed almost no offence, no aggression. it was hard to watch him hold back the whole fight knowing he should have been able to end it anytime he wanted.

the fight could be interesting if ortiz comes out swinging like he did against mayweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    They mentioned this on FNF and the Beavis laugh was instant. Solid fight! Ortiz has the wingspan of a Condor and he should be able to carry 154 at this point no problem. His straight punches and attack mode (minus the head etc) could really tell alot about Canelo. Don't care who wins, only care about the opening bell ringing. Close really but go with Canelo.
    i agree lost alot of respect for ortiz after the mayweather fight, not just the headbut but it felt like he just came in with the mindset that he will lose and make his payday, no heart he was smiling after his contraversial knockout like fuckit im rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ortiz weigh in above 160 in his fight with Floyd? Anyway, I'm leaning on Canelo on a late stoppage even if Ortiz manages to climb up to 154 well. Quite a long ways til September but with Gonzales and Ponce in the under card, should be well worth the wait. Judges be damned this time, I don't see either fight going the distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    canelo didn't impress me in his fight with mosely. he looked overly tentative against a guy who showed almost no offence, no aggression. it was hard to watch him hold back the whole fight knowing he should have been able to end it anytime he wanted.

the fight could be interesting if ortiz comes out swinging like he did against mayweather.
    Thought the Mosley version in the Canelo fight was tons better than the one that showed up against Manny. He got wobbled I think twice, but he never lost composure and contrary to what you're saying, I think he showed spurts of measured offense.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by arcanum26 View Post

Thought the Mosley version in the Canelo fight was tons better than the one that showed up against Manny. He got wobbled I think twice, but he never lost composure and contrary to what you're saying, I think he showed spurts of measured offense.
    i'm not really concerned with mosely...he's retired.

i'm concerned with how poor canelo's showing was. didn't show much confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big props to GBP for getting this fight done.
    There matchmaking has been phenomenal recently.
    I'm leaning towards Ortiz on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, but what I meant was I thought Mosley's performance was the reason why Canelo didn't look all that spectacular as we thought he would be. So either we underestimated Mosley that night, or overestimated Canelo. I'm going with my first assumption.
    Last edited by arcanum26; 06-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kind of disrespectful to Lopez no?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

El Kabong Guest

Wait a damn minute....I know full well that certain posters on here were saying "Canelo would destroy Cotto" not too terribly long ago, and now Victor Ortiz is "Going to hurt Canelo".....Victor Ortiz hasn't been tested at 154 yet. Sure in theory he can carry the weight, but hell in theory Paul Williams could have been a light heavyweight (no disrepect to PW). Alvarez hasn't been tested yet, that is true, but I doubt someone like Victor Ortiz will be the best to do it because Victor doesn't have layers to his game he just has an all out frontal attack and that's it, he can't box, he can't stick and move, and who knows how his chin will handle Canelo's punches or how the weight will affect his speed and power. Just because the kid can crack at 140 and 147 doesn't automatically mean he can blast guys out at 154.

I think this is an easy fight for Canelo, I don't think at this point in time that Ortiz is any more dangerous than Kirkland or Angulo who are proven at the weight. Carlos Quintana would be more difficult for Alvarez because he can box.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz is fast, a big puncher (Mayweather is the only opponent not to hit the deck) has experience and is a southpaw!

If Canelo was hesitent against Shane he will shit himself against Ortiz

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to disagree. I was impressed by Canelo's composure after being cut and think he will handle Ortiz easily. Early KO for the cinnamon kid.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz has a fight scheduled on 6/23. Apparently he is completely discounting Josesito Lopez.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    I have to disagree. I was impressed by Canelo's composure after being cut and think he will handle Ortiz easily. Early KO for the cinnamon kid.
    Agreed...having a cut and being in vs a veteran fighter like Mosley is a difficult ask for anyone. Shane sat on his punches and couldn't budge Canelo, I doubt Ortiz will do better.

I just see this as a total mismatch and Canelo will out muscle and land at will vs Victor....no disrespect, but psychologically Canelo has the big advantage, size wise he's bigger, and he's not yet tasted professional defeat....I'm calling TKO 5 Canelo over Ortiz.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Agreed...having a cut and being in vs a veteran fighter like Mosley is a difficult ask for anyone. Shane sat on his punches and couldn't budge Canelo, I doubt Ortiz will do better.

I just see this as a total mismatch and Canelo will out muscle and land at will vs Victor....no disrespect, but psychologically Canelo has the big advantage, size wise he's bigger, and he's not yet tasted professional defeat....I'm calling TKO 5 Canelo over Ortiz.
    They are both 5,9" and Alvarez only weighs 3 pounds heavier on fight night. Shane isnt a puncher anymore, hes too concerened with lasting the distance. As long as Ortiz wins his next fight I think Golden Boy will end up regreting putting him in with Ortiz.

Thread Information