Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: champs with broken jaws...

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Abraham fought the full 12 with his jaw broken in 2 different spots, Ali went the distance with Norton with his jaw hanging off, sorry I've been one of the guys defending Ortiz from the get go but the kid keeps setting himself up for criticism and he's in the wrong business IMO he has all the talent in the world but he doesn't have the mentality or heart of a fighter, he basically fucked his career over IMO last night

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Abraham fought the full 12 with his jaw broken in 2 different spots, Ali went the distance with Norton with his jaw hanging off, sorry I've been one of the guys defending Ortiz from the get go but the kid keeps setting himself up for criticism and he's in the wrong business IMO he has all the talent in the world but he doesn't have the mentality or heart of a fighter, he basically fucked his career over IMO last night
    victor_ortiz_underwear_1.jpg

his fighting career may be shot...

but he'll still have a career staring at his own junk in a mirror.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz had a much worse injury than Ali's fracture. Jump ahead to 45 mins and you can see Ali playing with his sore Jaw like its a loose tooth. Why the hell should any fighter risk permanent injury?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw him quit on his stool. Ortiz actually looked like he could have had Lopez out of their whenever he wanted really, at one point when he hit him behind the head it looked like Lopez actually wanted to quit, but Ortiz encouraged him by giving him some breathing space and backing off of him when he took a few shots. And then he just gave up when he damaged his jaw. Fact is he was up on the scorecards and if he'd just boxed smart for a few more rounds he would have won and been set up for his big pay day against Canelo. But that was never in his mind. As soon as he was hurt he was looking for a way out, and that's the bottom line - he just doesn't have the right mentality to break into that elite group of boxers, though he does seem to have the talent, so it's a shame.
    Last edited by SRR; 06-25-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Malignagi fought most of the fight against Cotto with a broken jaw too.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember Ferdie Pacheco questioning McClellan’s heart prior to his collapse.

Tough cause everyone is different. Liston fought with a broken jaw but could not fight with a dislocated shoulder yet guys like Pascal and McGirt could. I do not think as others have mentioned here and elsewhere that Ortiz has the brain pan of a fighter. It’s almost as if he took it as a second job or hobby and lucked out along the way. The Mayweather fight sealed the deal for me. Ortiz was just plain weird before, during and after the stoppage.

Having said that, boxers are not obligated to be taken out on a stretcher. I’ve never had a broken jaw so I’m not sure how I would react let alone finishing a fight with one. Ali finished and so did Abe but that was after a long break and coaching by the ref. I wonder how many other highly regarded fighters today would fight or flight with such an injury.

I have no desire for another Parent, Owen, Moore, Knox, Johnson, Kim, Sanders or Campbell to name a few. Fighters do not have to die in the ring on my account.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Malignagi fought most of the fight against Cotto with a broken jaw too.
    Malignaggi had a broken cheek bone I believe but still showed heart going on

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Ortiz had a much worse injury than Ali's fracture. Jump ahead to 45 mins and you can see Ali playing with his sore Jaw like its a loose tooth. Why the hell should any fighter risk permanent injury?

Ali was just cut from a different cloth than Ortiz, Ali was a gluten for punishment and that's why he was able to shrug off the jaw a lot more than Ortiz, sorry but you're in a must win situation with a huge fight on the horizon and u decide to call it a night when you're already ahead on the cards? you do so then you deserve the label you're given

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

does anyone know the night of weights for the lopez ortiz fight?

lopez weighed in 144.75 and ortiz 146.5... but what was the difference in the ring fight night?

anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Tough cause everyone is different. Liston fought with a broken jaw but could not fight with a dislocated shoulder yet guys like Pascal and McGirt could. I do not think as others have mentioned here and elsewhere that Ortiz has the brain pan of a fighter. It’s almost as if he took it as a second job or hobby and lucked out along the way. The Mayweather fight sealed the deal for me. Ortiz was just plain weird before, during and after the stoppage.

Having said that, boxers are not obligated to be taken out on a stretcher. I’ve never had a broken jaw so I’m not sure how I would react let alone finishing a fight with one. Ali finished and so did Abe but that was after a long break and coaching by the ref. I wonder how many other highly regarded fighters today would fight or flight with such an injury.

I have no desire for another Parent, Owen, Moore, Knox, Johnson, Kim, Sanders or Campbell to name a few. Fighters do not have to die in the ring on my account.
    I get what you're saying, but you've taken it to an extreme here (I believe the phrase is 'reductio ad absurdum); I don't think Ortiz was in any danger of dying at the hands of Lopez last night. He had a simple choice to make between suffering through the last 12 minutes in agony and winning the fight, and going home early and potentially dealing irreparable damage to his reputation. He chose the latter. Worse still, he didn't even look upset about it, he was quite hearty in his congratulations of Lopez for bringing the fight to a premature end. I'm sorry, but that is not a fighter's mentality. Boxing is brutal and if you have want to rise to the top you can't give up just because things get tough - and you certainly don't congratulate your opponent for forcing you to quit. It shows a deeply disturbing psychological fragility tbh, and that's not just something that is applicable to the ring. Of course Ortiz has the right to walk away, he is his own man and I can respect that - but it doesn't change the fact that he is clearly in the wrong business if his gut instinct is to quit when things get hard. I don't say that to disrespect him, it's just an objective observation - he simply can't compete at an elite level with that mentality, and I'm sure his aim is not to be mediocre, or just 'good'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ortiz brings it every time...he might not have the heart of ali but few do. If he was hurt he was hurt I always find it bemusing when people decide to criticize a fighter for being weak cause they didn't want to fight with an injury n then call him soft. Dude went 9 pretty grueling rounds not the work of someone who's soft. he's always in exciting fights and certainly gives us fans our moneys worth when we pay, a lot more fighters would be labeled pansies and pussies if they gave us the sort of fights ortiz does...I do think ortiz could do with a sports psychologists not for his lack of heart but he seems to have lapses where he looses it mentally and goes primal

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post

I get what you're saying, but you've taken it to an extreme here (I believe the phrase is 'reductio ad absurdum); I don't think Ortiz was in any danger of dying at the hands of Lopez last night. He had a simple choice to make between suffering through the last 12 minutes in agony and winning the fight, and going home early and potentially dealing irreparable damage to his reputation. He chose the latter. Worse still, he didn't even look upset about it, he was quite hearty in his congratulations of Lopez for bringing the fight to a premature end. I'm sorry, but that is not a fighter's mentality. Boxing is brutal and if you have want to rise to the top you can't give up just because things get tough - and you certainly don't congratulate your opponent for forcing you to quit. It shows a deeply disturbing psychological fragility tbh, and that's not just something that is applicable to the ring. Of course Ortiz has the right to walk away, he is his own man and I can respect that - but it doesn't change the fact that he is clearly in the wrong business if his gut instinct is to quit when things get hard. I don't say that to disrespect him, it's just an objective observation - he simply can't compete at an elite level with that mentality, and I'm sure his aim is not to be mediocre, or just 'good'.
    Not sure how this is reduction to absurdity.

Fact is...all of those I alluded to felt some calling to carry on. Ortiz is not one of those men. I'll also stick to the question which begs itself. How many fighters in this coddled backwards interpretation of risk and reward would have carried on with a broken jaw? None I say. Not a one.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure how this is reduction to absurdity.

Fact is...all of those I alluded to felt some calling to carry on. Ortiz is not one of those men. I'll also stick to the question which begs itself. How many fighters in this coddled backwards interpretation of risk and reward would have carried on with a broken jaw? None I say. Not a one.

its absurd cause it's a broken jaw, not death in the ring.

as for risk/reward... canelo alvarez money can get you the best surgeons around.

look at arthur abraham...dedicated prize fighter/champion.

surfer vic just wants everyone to like him cause he's got abandonment issues.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Jeff Fenech once went the full 12 with Marcos Villasana with 2 broken hands and a broken orbital bone in his face, and he won.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information