3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tomasz Adamek -vs- James Toney Deal in Place For Sept. 8

Tomasz Adamek-James Toney Deal in Place For Sept. 8 - Boxing News

By Keith Idec

Sources have confirmed an agreement is in place for Tomasz Adamek to fight James Toney on Sept. 8 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
    The heavyweight bout will take place in the afternoon so that the independent pay-per-view main event can air in prime time in Adamek’s native Poland. The afternoon start also will help avoid competing with HBO and Showtime cards scheduled to air that night.

The 43-year-old Toney (74-7-3, 45 KOs, 2 NC) beat Bobby Gunn by technical knockout after five rounds in his last fight, a heavyweight encounter April 7 in Southaven, Miss. Gunn (21-5-1, 18 KOs, 1 NC), whom Adamek stopped after four rounds in a cruiserweight title fight nearly three years ago at Prudential Center, said he suffered a broken hand during the fourth round of his fight against Toney.

The victory over Gunn marked Toney’s return to the heavyweight division. The trash-talking former middleweight/super middleweight/cruiserweight champion, far removed from being one of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world, suffered a lopsided loss to Russian cruiserweight contender Denis Lebedev (24-1, 18 KOs) in his previous fight, a 12-rounder Nov. 4 in Moscow.

The 35-year-old Adamek (46-2, 28 KOs) most recently defeated Philadelphia’s Eddie Chambers by unanimous decision in a 12-round fight at Prudential Center (116-112, 116-112, 119-109). The former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion has won two bouts by decision since WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (44-2, 40 KOs) dominated him en route to a 10th-round TKO win Sept. 10 in Wroclaw, Poland.

Chambers (36-3, 18 KOs) suffered a torn tendon in his left arm during the first round against Adamek, which essentially left him to compete with one arm for 11-plus rounds. He was scheduled to have surgery Monday to repair the injury, which will require several months of rehabilitation.

An official announcement of the Adamek-Toney fight is expected later this week, once contracts are finalized. Tickets to Adamek’s ninth fight at Prudential Center, where the Kearny, N.J., resident has regularly drawn large crowds since December 2008, will go on sale shortly thereafter.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tomasz Adamek -vs- James Toney Deal in Place For Sept. 8

This would have been a good fight in another time, but Toney is shot and thus I see a total mismatch.

Polish fighters seem to be enjoying beating up our old legends lately what with Roy Jones last outing and future fight with that Polish WBC champ.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha - just saw this and was about to post it myself. Agree with Hulk that Toney at 44 years old, fat, and lazy, will lose this fight. But I wouldn't call it a total mismatch because I don't think Adamek is very good -- he's extremely lucky Chambers had to fight that last fight one-handed; he definitely would have lost. Adamek will just win on activity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garbage fight , toney shouldn't be in any major fightts for the last 5 years or so, ill probably still be catchin a stream of it tho

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be honest. As much as the bad decisions burn me on the sport I feel the same lately seeing these shot to shit once quality top guys clinging to shadows and worming into the spotlight-rankings on name alone. Enough already, this sport needs to move on.

I hope Toney gets sparked. Jones jr too. Again.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

poorPoor Toney, he'll get totally mangled and will always be one second too late for everything.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Ha - just saw this and was about to post it myself. Agree with Hulk that Toney at 44 years old, fat, and lazy, will lose this fight. But I wouldn't call it a total mismatch because I don't think Adamek is very good -- he's extremely lucky Chambers had to fight that last fight one-handed; he definitely would have lost. Adamek will just win on activity.

Yeah this. Adamek looked like garbage his last fight and I completely agree he would've lost if Chambers had been able to use his left at all. This isn't even close to a mismatch, it's just a crap fight at this point. Still not out of the question Toney wins imo, if he can manage to throw 10 punches a round I see almost no way he wouldnt, even being such a wreck. James Toney of years past could have beat Adamek blindfolded.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A shameful fight to make.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post

By Keith Idec

Sources have confirmed an agreement is in place for Tomasz Adamek to fight James Toney on Sept. 8 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
    The heavyweight bout will take place in the afternoon so that the independent pay-per-view main event can air in prime time in Adamek’s native Poland. The afternoon start also will help avoid competing with HBO and Showtime cards scheduled to air that night..

The timing couldn't be worse for Adamek-Toney on Sept. 8:

Also being shownom Sept 8th is:

At Oakland, Calif. (HBO): Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson, 12 rounds, for Ward's WBC/WBA super middleweight title; Antonio DeMarco vs. John Molina, 12 rounds, for DeMarco's WBC lightweight title
    At TBA (Showtime): Randall Bailey vs. Devon Alexander, 12 rounds, for Bailey's IBF welterweight title
    At Moscow: Vitali Klitschko vs. Manuel Charr, 12 rounds, for Klitschko's WBC heavyweight title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shame on Adamek's promoter. Find an opponent who's not just a shot fighter with a recognizable name. Toney has no business in the ring, period, let alone with someone like Adamek.

I would've loved to see these guys fight each other at their best. Would've been a great fight at light heavy or cruiser. But those days are long gone.

El Kabong Guest

April 1st again already Jesus what a horrible matchup! I get it that Adamek is a smaller heavyweight and all but FFS is there no other option?!?!? Povetkin is free, Rahman just got injured, that would be a great match or at the very least a more interesting one.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post

By Keith Idec

The heavyweight bout will take place in the afternoon so that the independent pay-per-view main event can air in prime time in Adamek’s native Poland. The afternoon start also will help avoid competing with HBO and Showtime cards scheduled to air that night..

The timing couldn't be worse for Adamek-Toney on Sept. 8:

Also being shownom Sept 8th is:

At Oakland, Calif. (HBO): Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson, 12 rounds, for Ward's WBC/WBA super middleweight title; Antonio DeMarco vs. John Molina, 12 rounds, for DeMarco's WBC lightweight title
    At TBA (Showtime): Randall Bailey vs. Devon Alexander, 12 rounds, for Bailey's IBF welterweight title
    At Moscow: Vitali Klitschko vs. Manuel Charr, 12 rounds, for Klitschko's WBC heavyweight title.
    They're going to be in the ring about 4pm so that they can sell a PPV of the fight in Poland.

El Kabong Guest

You know what would have been a great fight? Prime v Prime Adamek vs Jirov

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This would have been a great fight at the lower weight when they were at their best. Adamek is too small for the big heavyweights but I really admire his grit, skill and effort. I think he needs an easier fight otherwise he will burn himself out and this is an ideal opportunity for him to win a prestigious fight against a name and he can move on. Toney is lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Iff'in ya ask me Adamek should have gone after Dimitrenko or Povetkin, both are there for him to beat IMO

Thread Information