Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Broner

This jr lightweight is a mirror image of Floyd mayweather in the ring and he surely had the skill to get the job done but here's the problem he believes he can do what he's done at 130lbs again at 135,147,and 157 what are u guys thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Broner

I think he can definitely run the table at 135. Gamboa is the only true challenge there. 140 is where he might start running into some trouble, depending on how his power holds up there. He's definitely got more raw talent than anyone between 126 and 140 though. 147 is obviously a different ballgame, but the the big guys there will be long-gone by the time Broner's ready to move up that far (if ever). No comment on "157."

He's still super-young and has yet to face any elite competition though, so this could all go out the window. A fight against Gamboa would be the best way to judge things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm looking forward to watching him again looks a class fighter, just dont like him when he opens his mouth.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa will clean his clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can do a Pacquiao and win a middleweight belt fighting a welterweight at a catchweight - 157lbs

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Word is he failed to make weight on the first attempt for his fight this weekend, coming in at 133.5. That's actually a far way off from 130. He's probably better suited to 135, as it is. Note that Broner is missing Uchiyama, the man at 130, if he goes up to 135 now. Uchiyama is a puncher too. Now, I understand Uchiyama isn't well known so I see the business reasons for not facing him. I'm just pointing it out so to see if he makes a habit of missing guys on his way up the weight class ladder. Also, Gamboa is the man at 126, by moving up, is Broner moving away from a fight with Gamboa? There's a decent amount of quality guys at 135 for him to face. Let's see where he goes from here.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner not making 130 is not surprising. In all honesty I was beginning to wonder how he managed it. He looks like a full on welter at fight time and fought much earlier in his career as high as 140 and hung out in the 135 area.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Word is he failed to make weight on the first attempt for his fight this weekend, coming in at 133.5. That's actually a far way off from 130. He's probably better suited to 135, as it is. Note that Broner is missing Uchiyama, the man at 130, if he goes up to 135 now. Uchiyama is a puncher too. Now, I understand Uchiyama isn't well known so I see the business reasons for not facing him. I'm just pointing it out so to see if he makes a habit of missing guys on his way up the weight class ladder. Also, Gamboa is the man at 126, by moving up, is Broner moving away from a fight with Gamboa? There's a decent amount of quality guys at 135 for him to face. Let's see where he goes from here.
    Gamboa has said that he is still moving to 135, regardless of the fight with Rios not having happened. So hopefully he and Broner meet there. I'm sorry we didn't get Donaire/Gamboa at a lower weight but Broner/Gamboa at a higher weight has the potential to be even better IMO.

Pretty lame missing weight by that much though. I hate when guys do that. His quote, undoubtedly true, is that he's "clearly outgrown 130 lbs." The obvious response is, he should have moved up before this fight then.

They are apparently in negotiations about a "cap" on how much weight he can put on overnight, Rios-style.
    Last edited by shza; 07-21-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another pushed product interested more in being a loud mouth character than actually making weight and honoring a contract. We need less of this bullshit. Right now he's more "Big Brother" and less "World Championship boxing", pretty sure I watched him lose to Daniel Ponce de leon too. Other than that I'm sure he's a great guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Gamboa has said that he is still moving to 135, regardless of the fight with Rios not having happened. So hopefully he and Broner meet there. I'm sorry we didn't get Donaire/Gamboa at a lower weight but Broner/Gamboa at a higher weight has the potential to be even better IMO.

Pretty lame missing weight by that much though. I hate when guys do that. His quote, undoubtedly true, is that he's "clearly outgrown 130 lbs." The obvious response is, he should have moved up before this fight then.

They are apparently in negotiations about a "cap" on how much weight he can put on overnight, Rios-style.
    broner hasn't proven shit as a pro. He didn't face a top 5 guy at 130.

the best opponent he faced was de leon who had been fighting at 126. and he lost.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Another pushed product interested more in being a loud mouth character than actually making weight and honoring a contract. We need less of this bullshit. Right now he's more "Big Brother" and less "World Championship boxing", pretty sure I watched him lose to Daniel Ponce de leon too. Other than that I'm sure he's a great guy.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

does broner have talent? Yes

has he shown much? No. he beat Litzau and Perez (who tested positive or nose candy after the fight).

he didn't face any of the top 5 guys at the top of the division. Are they big names? No. Uchiyama is undefeated. he can fight. he beat salgado who is also highly ranked. Salgado-he can fight. He can punch a little. He is the guy that first stretched Linares in 1 round.

Broner easily could have made a fight with someone better than Perez.

Escobedo is a solid fighter and could possibly give Broner a fight tomorrow night. So what did broner do? came in at 133.5. if he was going to do anything like that they could have started negotiating things a few days ago.

instead he let escobedo go through the sacrifice of getting all the way down to 130. while broner didn't do so. And escobedo has fought some at 135. I would guess the last few pounds to make 130 are far from easy.

so broner knew he wasn't going to make weight and made sure his opponent sacrificed himself to make it. so he can come into the fight not weakened at all by making weight and escobedo will have.

Great job. when you have talent you shouldn't try to gain advantages like that. amateurish.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People make way to big a deal out of the fight with Ponce. What was Broner even doing at 126? Does he have some kind of obsession with Armstrong? I'm not trying to make excuses for Broner but he overlooked him as a man that could not box his way out of a door way.

Arguello got ko'd by Amaya in his fourth fight. Life went on.

We often shit on fighters for not making weight and in many cases such as Guzman for example its justified but not in this case. How can anyone be surprised that Broner failed a 130 weigh in other then those who only see the class he fights in?

The majority of the boxing world considers these titles as meaningless trinkets. There has not been a true unified champ since Bernard Hopkins. Who cares if Broner is 133 for a 130 meaningless title fight? Go back to 8 divisions already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well people you guys are making great points I believe that the gamboa fight is being held off to give both a chance to succeed in moving up let them take different paths and if there still at the top make a super fight if I was a promoter that's what I would do. As for broner skipping fights it's been done time and time again in boxing pacmans done it mayweathers done it a lot of the greats have took the easy road rather than fighting a beast every fight at ther end of the daY u will always have to face who you've ducked!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    does broner have talent? Yes

has he shown much? No. he beat Litzau and Perez (who tested positive or nose candy after the fight).

he didn't face any of the top 5 guys at the top of the division. Are they big names? No. Uchiyama is undefeated. he can fight. he beat salgado who is also highly ranked. Salgado-he can fight. He can punch a little. He is the guy that first stretched Linares in 1 round.

Broner easily could have made a fight with someone better than Perez.

Escobedo is a solid fighter and could possibly give Broner a fight tomorrow night. So what did broner do? came in at 133.5. if he was going to do anything like that they could have started negotiating things a few days ago.

instead he let escobedo go through the sacrifice of getting all the way down to 130. while broner didn't do so. And escobedo has fought some at 135. I would guess the last few pounds to make 130 are far from easy.

so broner knew he wasn't going to make weight and made sure his opponent sacrificed himself to make it. so he can come into the fight not weakened at all by making weight and escobedo will have.

Great job. when you have talent you shouldn't try to gain advantages like that. amateurish.
    Broner is only 22 so he is still very much an immature, self centered, egotistical little asshole. Surprised a little bit he has so many children at such a young age.

His "Free Money May" T-shirt, shit head attitude toward making weight and fake marriage proposal at the end of the fight didn't exactly endear him to the American audience.

But, I figure he wants to go the villain route and piss white America off and what not.

Worked wonders for Floyd in terms of $$$.

Anyway Broner performed well and patiently picked Escobedo apart. Escobedo gave hints he didn't want to be there before the fight and was just there for a paycheck and his corner throwing the towel in so early seemed to confirm that.

Thought Escobedo had an excellent jab and was getting some good body work in, but didn't seem to discourage Broner much.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information