Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Deontay Wilder is now the top HW in the U.S.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I think Deontay Wilder is now the top HW in the U.S.

He is still quite raw, but he's young, he's big, he's rather athletic and he's just blown Kerston Manswell (who took former WBA titlist and Klitschko opponent Ruslan Chagaev the distance earlier this year) out in one round without breaking a sweat and barely taking a shot. He started off popping out the jab early in the round before stepping it up once he had his range and easily taking out Manswell.

I think the high hopes some have for Seth Mitchell in the states are quite far fetched, but this guy for me could be the real deal. In fact that is the kind of fight i'd like to see Wilder in next.

Last night he improved to 24-0-0 (24KO's) and is yet to get past the 4th in what has been a steadily brought on career admittedly. That can be forgiven though as he is only 26 and he had a short but successful amateur career in which he took a national Golden Gloves Championship and was U.S. Amateur HW champion in 2007 only 2 years after taking up boxing. He then qualified for Beijing and took Bronze but it may be worth noting earlier in 2008 he actually beat the eventual gold medalist Rakhim Chakhkiev.

I see this guy as a potential superstar if he can be looked after well enough and he keeps getting into the shape he has been in his early career. I now look forward to seeing where he goes next, as I said earlier I'd like to see him in with Mitchell but I'd also love to see him in with Tyson Fury who I really do think would be put to sleep by Wilder. Wherever he goes I think America may finally have an HW worth watching!

jon09 Guest

Default Re: I think Deontay Wilder is now the top HW in the U.S.

He needs to fight a live body before he reaches the top.

jon09 Guest

Franklin Lawrence would be a good first step for Wilder or Mitchell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    I agree he needs to fight a slightly better opponent next but I was impressed at how easily he despatched Manswell. No he isn't a top class fighter but he's put in decent displays against decent fighters in the past and Wilder just toyed with him. I'm not trying to say he's ready for a fight with a Klit but he's certainly the brightest star in the U.S. Heavyweight scene right now for me and if managed right he could really put the Heavyweights back on the map over there. That for me is what boxing needs right now.

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    I agree he needs to fight a slightly better opponent next but I was impressed at how easily he despatched Manswell. No he isn't a top class fighter but he's put in decent displays against decent fighters in the past and Wilder just toyed with him. I'm not trying to say he's ready for a fight with a Klit but he's certainly the brightest star in the U.S. Heavyweight scene right now for me and if managed right he could really put the Heavyweights back on the map over there. That for me is what boxing needs right now.
    A young ko artist is always good for the heavies. Its a shame that we have undefeated fighters in D Rodriguez and Scott but they seem to be hiding behind their 0 until they are 50 or the K brothers retire. But I have always liked Wilder and hope he can bring new life into the U.S heavy seen. We defiantly need it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A young ko artist is always good for the heavies. Its a shame that we have undefeated fighters in D Rodriguez and Scott but they seem to be hiding behind their 0 until they are 50 or the K brothers retire. But I have always liked Wilder and hope he can bring new life into the U.S heavy seen. We defiantly need it.
    The whole boxing world thrives when you lot have a top HW.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is still quite raw, but he's young, he's big, he's rather athletic and he's just blown Kerston Manswell (who took former WBA titlist and Klitschko opponent Ruslan Chagaev the distance earlier this year) out in one round without breaking a sweat and barely taking a shot. He started off popping out the jab early in the round before stepping it up once he had his range and easily taking out Manswell.

I think the high hopes some have for Seth Mitchell in the states are quite far fetched, but this guy for me could be the real deal. In fact that is the kind of fight i'd like to see Wilder in next.

Last night he improved to 24-0-0 (24KO's) and is yet to get past the 4th in what has been a steadily brought on career admittedly. That can be forgiven though as he is only 26 and he had a short but successful amateur career in which he took a national Golden Gloves Championship and was U.S. Amateur HW champion in 2007 only 2 years after taking up boxing. He then qualified for Beijing and took Bronze but it may be worth noting earlier in 2008 he actually beat the eventual gold medalist Rakhim Chakhkiev.

I see this guy as a potential superstar if he can be looked after well enough and he keeps getting into the shape he has been in his early career. I now look forward to seeing where he goes next, as I said earlier I'd like to see him in with Mitchell but I'd also love to see him in with Tyson Fury who I really do think would be put to sleep by Wilder. Wherever he goes I think America may finally have an HW worth watching!
    Wilder is a big, tall, strong, athletic, HW who looks to be in great shape, he also has the attitude and/or bad intentions he'll need to become a champion. He'll definitely make some noise in the Heavyweight division.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Wilder is a big, tall, strong, athletic, HW who looks to be in great shape, he also has the attitude and/or bad intentions he'll need to become a champion. He'll definitely make some noise in the Heavyweight division.
    He's also got time on his hands. He's learnt a lot since turning pro and each time I see him he just looks a bit smoother than the time before. One fight that could potentially be a huge fight in years to come could be David Price vs Wilder. Both were Bronze medalists in 2008 and for me are the best prospects in the division right now.

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

He's also got time on his hands. He's learnt a lot since turning pro and each time I see him he just looks a bit smoother than the time before. One fight that could potentially be a huge fight in years to come could be David Price vs Wilder. Both were Bronze medalists in 2008 and for me are the best prospects in the division right now.
    I would leave the young bucks in Price, Mitchell, Fury and Wilder alone and not fight each other until they have major straps. I think they all should fight some old war horses and real veterans for the experience and name build up. It could be good to see them in a Super six type tournament in the future one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love Wilder. Good jab and his defense is based on movement which is good for a HW with athleticism. I think he's doing just fine. He(handlers) is attempting to turn the heat up a bit, but shit falls through. He needs a true test; no doubt. Hope it comes soon. God, I thought Kevin Johnson was gonna be the next big HW. What the hell do I know

El Kabong Guest

I have always thought Wilder should take his time but right now I think he needs rounds. Lots and lots and lots of rounds. Dominick Guinn (who has never been KO'd or knocked down) would be a good solid fight for Deontay. I like that DW has filled out a little bit, he doesn't look as fragile now. I like how he uses his height, I like the working the jab early and he has very quick hands with that long reach too.

I still have faith in Joe Hanks as well, but the point being is we should see a resurgence of American heavyweights after the Klitschko's retire.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruslan Chagaev weighed 242.5 for Kertson Manswell.

Ruslan weighed 224¾ lbs for Wlad klitschko!

Manswell is shit, ustinov and stiverne both knocked him out early, perez outclassed him too! Chag is done as any serious force in the division, has been since klitschko! Mitchell imo is a better US prospect than wilder and jennings looks to have the goods too...the best americans at the minute are chambers, thompson and kingpin johnson. Out of the 4 best prospects mitchell, hanks, jennings and wilder, wilder is the least talented...triangle theories are meaningless, to judge wilder on his fight with manswell and then bring a fading former champ like Chag into it is silly....Chag beat felix savon ffs, wilder lost to Clemente Russo.

Bummy 10-11 ART CARD went the distance with larry holmes and was then kayoed in 1 by corrie sanders in his next fight! Norton pushed holmes all the way and was then kayoed in 1 by cooney, rodriguez went the distance with holmes and was then kayoed in 1 by bruno etc....

I saw a sparring vid of wilder recently and he truly is terrible. Pulev and boystov would put pay to the burgeoning hype train, believe...

Wilder hasn't even fought anyone on the level of i.e dimitrenko yet ffs!

Take David Price for example. He beat Sam Sexton (14-3, 6 KOs) last time out, and Sexton had only been beaten previously by Derek Chisora, yet Price was criticized by some on this site for taking on a spent force. When Wilder takes on a guy that has lost majority of his last few fights and has not fought in years i.e owen beck he’s considered to be taking on a “dangerous threat.”

If I was Wilder, I would want to prove I deserve to be in the heavyweight elite. I would want to face the best. I would be looking at taking on the loser of the Haye/Chisora fight as both have been in with world champions.

However, I see Wilder struggling against any of those, the gap in class between what he is used to and what he should be ready for is that between night and day. His promoter has been feeding him opponents he will learn nothing from for too long. At least with Fury experiments against his opponents. For example, in his fight against 40-year-old Martin Rogan recently, Fury fought out of the Southpaw stance the entire fight. Wilder seems to just be knocking out bums for the sake of it.

Wilder is living a protected existence. He is fighting fighters who he knows.

Owen beck was on an 8 fight losing streak ffs! lol
    Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 08-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post
    Ruslan Chagaev weighed 242.5 for Kertson Manswell.

Ruslan weighed 224¾ lbs for Wlad klitschko!

Manswell is shit, ustinov and stiverne both knocked him out early, perez outclassed him too! Chag is done as any serious force in the division, has been since klitschko! Mitchell imo is a better US prospect than wilder and jennings looks to have the goods too...the best americans at the minute are chambers, thompson and kingpin johnson. Out of the 4 best prospects mitchell, hanks, jennings and wilder, wilder is the least talented...triangle theories are meaningless, to judge wilder on his fight with manswell and then bring a fading former champ like Chag into it is silly....Chag beat felix savon ffs, wilder lost to Clemente Russo.

Bummy 10-11 ART CARD went the distance with larry holmes and was then kayoed in 1 by corrie sanders in his next fight! Norton pushed holmes all the way and was then kayoed in 1 by cooney, rodriguez went the distance with holmes and was then kayoed in 1 by bruno etc....

I saw a sparring vid of wilder recently and he truly is terrible. Pulev and boystov would put pay to the burgeoning hype train, believe...

Wilder hasn't even fought anyone on the level of i.e dimitrenko yet ffs!

Take David Price for example. He beat Sam Sexton (14-3, 6 KOs) last time out, and Sexton had only been beaten previously by Derek Chisora, yet Price was criticized by some on this site for taking on a spent force. When Wilder takes on a guy that has lost majority of his last few fights and has not fought in years i.e owen beck he’s considered to be taking on a “dangerous threat.”

If I was Wilder, I would want to prove I deserve to be in the heavyweight elite. I would want to face the best. I would be looking at taking on the loser of the Haye/Chisora fight as both have been in with world champions.

However, I see Wilder struggling against any of those, the gap in class between what he is used to and what he should be ready for is that between night and day. His promoter has been feeding him opponents he will learn nothing from for too long. At least with Fury experiments against his opponents. For example, in his fight against 40-year-old Martin Rogan recently, Fury fought out of the Southpaw stance the entire fight. Wilder seems to just be knocking out bums for the sake of it.

Wilder is living a protected existence. He is fighting fighters who he knows.

Owen beck was on an 8 fight losing streak ffs! lol
    Who said he was taking on a "dangerous threat" in Beck? I certainly didn't. Wilder would kill Mitchell mark my words. I'll bring this thread back up to mock you when the time comes don't worry!

I've said Wilder is a work in progress that needs to step it up a bit now. Not one person in this thread has tried to say he's been taking on good fighters, yet you jump all over it. As for him losing to Russo, there is no shame in any fighter who has only been fighting 2 1/2 years making the semis of the Olympics and being beaten by Russo. He's shit to watch but he's effective. If Wilder fought him again now he'd kill Russo.

As for the sparring video that you've "seen" that proves how shit he is, I've seen sparring videos of Floyd Mayweather not looking great (to say the least) against Paul Spadafora, does that mean Mayweather is shit?

Wilder is a young lad that made Bronze with very little experience, turned Pro and has since been carefully (rightly too) brought along and is now starting to fight people with names that boxing fans recognize. No one has said he's ready for a Klit fight or anything of the sort, yet you jump all over the thread trying to knock the kid down before he has even had chance to make a name for himself. He's had 24 fights and has won them all by KO. That's not a bad record for a lad who has still only been in the game 6 1/2 years including his amateur career.

No one starts boxing as a great you know? It's something that has to be worked towards and I think Wilder is heading in the right direction. Like Lyle said earlier someone like Guinn could be a good move next. I've said Wilder is the top HW in the U.S. because the HW's over there are total total shit and I do think he could beat the rest.

El Kabong Guest

Listen, dude...Wilder had a good showing that's it end of discussion. "Wilder is fighting fighters he knows"....Manswell was a last minute replacement. Nobody is saying Wilder is elite right now, they are saying his stock has risen on account of a good showing and perhaps he can reach a good potential, he's young & has time & given the piss poor state of US amateur boxing I would suggest he keep taking his time & get experience in.

Boytsov, Dimitrenko, Chagaev, all had top notch amateur careers....however. Dennis is always injured & very small, Dimitrenko has very little if any power and no chin, & Ruslan ain't getting any younger.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder has yet to go over 4 rounds and he's going into his 25th fight. 4 rounds! Off the top guys could be called ko artist, or depending on what they are facing, bs artists. He has not faced any adversity or taken a serious heavyweight punch from anyone who was literally brought in to fall over from what I've watched...natas. He looks tense, stiff and pulls out head high.

He has tools, he does have desire and -potential- but I think he is seriously being protected for whatever reason. Guys like this run the risk of having their foundation built on top of a house of cards and don't correct or sure up the basics before they find themselves in a major acid test and have an implosion. Not saying he's a paper tiger at all but if he's as good as he thinks he is he needs to demand better. Screw for the fans but for himself mainly. The way he was spouting off, putting Wlads name in his mouth etc, after dispatching a one week replacement was a bit empty. 4 rounds. I really miss having U.S hvy players on the scene. In all fairness after 24 bouts I have no idea at all if Deontay is that or could be.

Thread Information