Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Teddy Atlas?

Give us your honest opinion, would you enjoy FNF more if Teddy was not announcing? I like Teddy and enjoy listening to his analogies, his preflight analysis of each fighter, his passion for boxing, and most of all his concern for the safety of every fighter. I know he gets carried away and sometimes you find yourself grinding your teeth. Would you want to see Teddy go away for good if you had a choice?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Teddy Atlas?

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Give us your honest opinion, would you enjoy FNF more if Teddy was not announcing? I like Teddy and enjoy listening to his analogies, his preflight analysis of each fighter, his passion for boxing, and most of all his concern for the safety of every fighter. I know he gets carried away and sometimes you find yourself grinding your teeth. Would you want to see Teddy go away for good if you had a choice?

Maybe not go away entirely (at least not yet), but definitely put on some sort of "leash." He doesn't just get carried away...... he gets "swept away by the tsunami" (a little Teddy-ism here).

I imagine Tessitore looking at him off camera while he's on one of his rants and thinking:
    "Are you ever going to shut the fuck up??"

Last night he finished with a flurry (just like Molina), naming every single sport in one sentence AND... adding a reference to courtroom witnesses for good measure.

Was he dropped at birth?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teddy plays the Banjo, at age 15. (he's the one on the porch)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Atlas. He knows boxing and yes he talks too much, but he's entertaining. I especially enjoy his conspiracy theories and some of his exaggerated analogies that barely make sense.

He seems to genuinely want to clean up boxing and that is extremely rare.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Teddy plays the Banjo, at age 15. (he's the one on the porch)

Sure got , a pretty pair of lips there boy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Atlas, he went on a bit about the Olympic rip off but that is what he does. He is entertaining like our Bunce but with more of a brain.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teddy is a trip but I don't mind. In contrast to other blow by blow guys he is what you see is what you get. I can't knock a guy for shit metaphors but more often than not..they work though redundant in spots. Can't believe they ended last night with a "Snyder from One day at a time" and his key ring analogy. I mean, wow

He a free swinger and basically he'll call BS on anyone...the ref, the judges (to the point of confronting them live on camera ) the commission seated beind him, a fighter. Dude just don't care. I think he must have gotten into it with some officials at Olympics because last night he did sound overly po'd, bit bitter or burned. His passion is a double edge sword. I'd rather have him than some network trained chimp stuffed in a suit trying to sell his delivery.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teddy Atlas is sickening to listen to, he's sounds like he has some kind of mental problem. He's the worst color commentator in the sport of boxing.

The ESPN ratings would improve if they replaced Teddy. Bernard Hopkins and BJ Flores did a better job when they filled in. John Scully would be the ideal choice.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Teddy Atlas is sickening to listen to, he's sounds like he has some kind of mental problem. He's the worst color commentator in the sport of boxing.

The ESPN ratings would improve if they replaced Teddy. Bernard Hopkins and BJ Flores did a better job when they filled in. John Scully would be the ideal choice.
    BJ Flores is biased, boring and average. Scully is a nice guy and knowledgeable but rather boring to listen to as well.

He says some outlandish things too, such as "A good amatuer will beat a good professional the first 3 rounds".

Perhaps with Olympic scoring, headgear and big gloves that may be true in some cases, but in a pro fight with 8 oz gloves and no headgear and pro scoring I do not believe that statement holds true for a minute.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess boxing needs its characters, as long as they're knowledgeable. And Teddy certainly knows his stuff. I think Howard Cosell (anyone remember him?) was the first bonafide true character in boxing. He spoke his mind... sometimes pissing off people, but he didn't care. But Howard quit boxing when Duk Koo Kim died following his loss to Ray Mancini in 1982. Since then, I guess the most colorful characters have been Larry Merchant and to an extent Teddy Atlas.

Larry had a penchant for the drunken-sounding soliloquy.... quoting Shakespeare, and enjoying the pauses, as if people were hanging on his every word. He could say some stupid things, too. But people by and large love their characters, so I guess if Teddy wants to talk about "charging the guy for real estate", "moving around like a pitcher moves his pitches", "going in and out like a surfer catching a wave"..... what the hell. As long as they keep a muzzle nearby just in case he goes off on a mega-rant and never comes back..... I guess it should be ok.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teddy can dissect a fight and cant train a fighter.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Teddy is a trip but I don't mind. In contrast to other blow by blow guys he is what you see is what you get. I can't knock a guy for shit metaphors but more often than not..they work though redundant in spots. Can't believe they ended last night with a "Snyder from One day at a time" and his key ring analogy. I mean, wow

He a free swinger and basically he'll call BS on anyone...the ref, the judges (to the point of confronting them live on camera ) the commission seated beind him, a fighter. Dude just don't care. I think he must have gotten into it with some officials at Olympics because last night he did sound overly po'd, bit bitter or burned. His passion is a double edge sword. I'd rather have him than some network trained chimp stuffed in a suit trying to sell his delivery.
    Teddy leaves himself wide open for criticism, so he gets a lot of it. I don't dislike the guy and hope he continues doing FNF. Like you said Spicoli, he may be annoying, and over-opinionated at times, but his hearts in the right place.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great guy. No dispute.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I guess boxing needs its characters, as long as they're knowledgeable. And Teddy certainly knows his stuff. I think Howard Cosell (anyone remember him?) was the first bonafide true character in boxing. He spoke his mind... sometimes pissing off people, but he didn't care. But Howard quit boxing when Duk Koo Kim died following his loss to Ray Mancini in 1982. Since then, I guess the most colorful characters have been Larry Merchant and to an extent Teddy Atlas.

Larry had a penchant for the drunken-sounding soliloquy.... quoting Shakespeare, and enjoying the pauses, as if people were hanging on his every word. He could say some stupid things, too. But people by and large love their characters, so I guess if Teddy wants to talk about "charging the guy for real estate", "moving around like a pitcher moves his pitches", "going in and out like a surfer catching a wave"..... what the hell. As long as they keep a muzzle nearby just in case he goes off on a mega-rant and never comes back..... I guess it should be ok.
    You mean 'ole Humble Howie? Sure I remember that asshole, one thing Cosell used to be good at, was calling a big fight, other then that I couldn't stand the drunken big mouthed muther-fucker.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 08-19-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

You mean 'ole Humble Howie? Sure I remember that asshole, one thing Cosell used to be good at, was calling a big fight, other then that I couldn't stand the drunken big mouthed muther-fucker.
    Talking of drunken big mouths how is Merchant doing?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information