Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gennady Golovkin - Is He Currently the Most Avoided Fighter in Boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin - Is He Currently the Most Avoided Fighter in Boxing?

Is Gennady Golovkin the real deal? Thus far, Golovkin's professional accomplishments have been limited. However, that is not entirely his fault, as Proksa is the only top ten middleweight to have the guts to step in the ring with him. Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, Felix Sturm, and now Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin have refused to face him. Basically, their point is risk/reward. He's the riskiest fighter at middleweight, and he is relatively unknown among casual fans. What should Golovkin do? How can he gain exposure if he can't land a fight with a known commodity? The only available, and worthy, option might be Dmitry Pirog, if he is not injured or retired.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin - Is He Currently the Most Avoided Fighter in Boxing?

Yes he is a quality fighter the title he has he can earn some money but think he has to take a chance and take the low end of a purse to fight a Martinez to get the break he needs.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin - Is He Currently the Most Avoided Fighter in Boxing?

He's certainly one of them

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think in this day and age, if you're one of these avoided fighters you REALLY have to run your mouth and make noise. Make the public notice you. In our modern world of social media, it's much easier than it used to be.

I know a lot of guys don't have it in their personality, but if you don't make yourself known and you're a guy who can fight like Gennady, you're going to be waiting a LONG time for a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I read in fightnews Golovkin was/is mandatory for Daniel Geale,but Geale was allowed to do an inbetween fight with Mundine...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is a danger man, I feel not many fancy facing him,! he can box and he has KO power to burn,
    so is he a complete fighter I think so.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKickAss View Post
    From what I read in fightnews Golovkin was/is mandatory for Daniel Geale,but Geale was allowed to do an inbetween fight with Mundine...
    So, the winner of the Mundine/Geale must face Golovkin? That's a solid fight. Hopefully, HBO/Showtime picks it up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plus I had read somewhere that he and his camp had asked hbo or showtime or anyone to set aside december date they didn't, hbo set one in march. Judging on his last performance you'd think hbo couldn't wait to get back because of the way he fights. He just needs to stay busy knock everyone out probably talk some borderline smack and hell get the big fights.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say eyebrow raised but not avoided. Get in the way, then be avoided. I don't know about most but frankly he's new to me. Like his approach, confidence and compact punching but it is in fact his case to make when it comes to exposure. Keep busy, capatalize off mainstream view last out but don't start reading the press clippings. And slip left hooks! At this stage he is indeed a risk-reward ratio but cannot say at all that a Quillin for one lacks 'guts' and is losing sleep about him just yet. Not yet. Last out he was arguably stealing the show on a quadrupel Show card himself.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 10-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'd say eyebrow raised but not avoided. Get in the way, then be avoided. I don't know about most but frankly he's new to me. Like his approach, confidence and compact punching but it is in fact his case to make when it comes to exposure. Keep busy, capatalize off mainstream view last out but don't start reading the press clippings. And slip left hooks! At this stage he is indeed a risk-reward ratio but cannot say at all that a Quillin for one lacks 'guts' and is losing sleep about him just yet. Not yet. Last out he was arguably stealing the show on a quadrupel Show card himself.
    With respect to Sturm and N'Jikam, there is no doubt that Golovkin was avoided. If the winner of Geale/Mundine is ordered to face Golovkin, the winner should face Quillin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKickAss View Post
    So, the winner of the Mundine/Geale must face Golovkin? That's a solid fight. Hopefully, HBO/Showtime picks it up.

Well...you know how it is with mandatories...nothing set in stone...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Go onto YouTube, and see him KO Bute nasty outstanding amateur he's a bit special he's one of them
    very deceptive fighters, you look at him what's all the fuss next thing you no the fights over, hell he
    can punch.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say John Molina (154 lb.) and Erislandy lara belong on this list.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    I'd say John Molina (154 lb.) and Erislandy lara belong on this list.
    Has anyone ducked Molina? I'm not sure that is the case yet. Vanes stepped up against Lara so same there, right? Paul Williams also got in the ring with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

imo golovkin has a nice record mostly kos and a awesome amature backround im sure most Champs feel they worked too hard to give him a shot at everything that from 1 tv apperance. Golovkin will get a real shot as a mandatory lol BUT i would love to see him fight all top guys in a fantasy world.

Thread Information