Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Seth Mitchell vs. Johnathan Banks

Johnathon Banks : Boxer

Heavyweight prospect Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell is taking on Johnathan Banks, the man who just cornered Wladimir Klitschko this past weekend as a litmus test perhaps for a future showdown with Wlad.

This is the same Banks who was stopped by Adamek at cruiser a few years back, but it appears he's strung together a fairly nice little winning streak since then against journeymen at heavyweight.

Does Banks have a real shot here ? Or is he simply too small and another handpicked opponent for a heavyweight prospect ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Seth Mitchell vs. Johnathan Banks

I like Seth. Banks could tip the cart here as he's pretty slick. I thought I read somewhere that he was going back to cruiser but these guys are really the same size and I think its an interesting style match-up.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont think its "hand picked"

i think its an interesting fight from the point of view of both fighters

a win for either would do a lot for them
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Agreed. It's a fight that makes sense for Mitchell now and it gives Banks the opportunity to get onto the world scene with a win. I see Mitchell by TKO.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Agreed. It's a fight that makes sense for Mitchell now and it gives Banks the opportunity to get onto the world scene with a win. I see Mitchell by TKO.
    yep i see it going the same way

ive seen both fights 2 or 3 times each and it seems like mitchell will have the size and power and banks might have a bit more skill
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

I think Jonathan Banks is a very game under dog, I do not expect him to win but I think he'll test Seth Mitchell enough to get Mitchell ready for he next level. I wonder if Banks' training was hlped or hindered by being the trainer for Wladimir's defense vs Wach. This could be a very exciting fight becausde I expect there to be a stoppage but it's a matter of who gets hit hardest first and can't recover.

If Mitchell wins I expect he'll get in 1 more fight before a showdown with Wladimir. If Banks wins I expect a rematch vs Adamek will be on the cards, he did well the last time albeit in a losing effort. An 8th round stoppage with the scores at 66-67, 66-67, & 65-68 isn't horrible and with the added weight maybe he's better equipped for Tomaz.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Seth Mitchell remind anyone else of Derrick Jefferson or Clifford Etienne ?

I think he may go a bit further than those two, but not by a whole lot. Picked up the sport really late and proved to be a bit chinny against Chazz Witherspoon.

Also on that "2 days in the life of a fighter" business on HBO, Mitchell's manager admitted that Seth isn't passionate about boxing, but sees it as a means to an end for supporting his family.

Seth seems a nice guy, aggressive, athletic and getting better so best of luck to him, but I honestly do not see him ever troubling a Klitschko.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Does Seth Mitchell remind anyone else of Derrick Jefferson or Clifford Etienne ?

I think he may go a bit further than those two, but not by a whole lot. Picked up the sport really late and proved to be a bit chinny against Chazz Witherspoon.

Also on that "2 days in the life of a fighter" business on HBO, Mitchell's manager admitted that Seth isn't passionate about boxing, but sees it as a means to an end for supporting his family.

Seth seems a nice guy, aggressive, athletic and getting better so best of luck to him, but I honestly do not see him ever troubling a Klitschko.
    I like the way he works in the ring, but he's missing the "it" that a fighter needs to really be successful at the highest level. He has a good sporting head on his shoulders, he seems to know what he's doing out there well enough. On the whole I rate Wilder & Hanks better because those dudes are just boxers and they've been in the game longer.

If Banks fights smart, sets some traps he could pull out a win, even a stoppage.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

I like the way he works in the ring, but he's missing the "it" that a fighter needs to really be successful at the highest level. He has a good sporting head on his shoulders, he seems to know what he's doing out there well enough. On the whole I rate Wilder & Hanks better because those dudes are just boxers and they've been in the game longer.

If Banks fights smart, sets some traps he could pull out a win, even a stoppage.
    Yep, Banks is probably a pretty live dog in this one due to his boxing pedigree.

Wilder looks like he could have some real potential as he is very smooth in there and obviously packs a punch.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Yep, Banks is probably a pretty live dog in this one due to his boxing pedigree.

Wilder looks like he could have some real potential as he is very smooth in there and obviously packs a punch.
    He got sparring in with Wlad so it's adding to his experience as well.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Seth wins and gives the Klits a good hard fight. He is exciting and dangerous something we have not had for a long time against the Klit brothers.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cannot get away from seeing Mitchell seriously hurt by a Banks straight right hand down the pipe before he comes back to ko Banks. Hulk, he strikes me as a dead ringer of the two but better stamina than a Jefferson and no where near as wild...and better schooled and boxing smart than Etienne. But he also sponges rights like Clifford. He will be GREAT tv for as long as he goes, but I wouldn't leave the room once the bell rings when he fights. He adapted well with Witherspoon, tore into that body after nearly being stopped really nice!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like to watch Seth fight and root for him. But that is a damning statement, considering this is a sport that requires passion in order to be able to overcome the adversities that will always surface at one time or another.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I like to watch Seth fight and root for him. But that is a damning statement, considering this is a sport that requires passion in order to be able to overcome the adversities that will always surface at one time or another.
    Yes, it is an incriminating statement for sure. There are cases of guys who didn't love boxing really thriving though, like Ken Norton. It was often said that he never loved boxing, but he had a hall of fame career.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally if you don't love boxing, then you are going to get hurt sooner or later and call it quits.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yes, it is an incriminating statement for sure. There are cases of guys who didn't love boxing really thriving though, like Ken Norton. It was often said that he never loved boxing, but he had a hall of fame career.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally if you don't love boxing, then you are going to get hurt sooner or later and call it quits.

I always disliked Norton's style of fighting. He was so-o-o awkward. But he did have his day in the sun, particularly in his first fight with Ali in 1973. I like watching Seth fight, though. And I root for him to succeed. But yeah... if he's not passionate about boxing, it might catch up to him sooner or later.

Thread Information