Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My training log

Well not long been in from another skipping session. At the end of 10 minutes I didn't feel that exhausted. So I went onto 15 minutes. I'm still not able to skip continuously with out going wrong. I am able to skip just under a minute with out going wrong.

I did some research on jumping rope yesterday. On boxing sites. So today I decided to do 1 minute rounds of skipping with a 30 second rest between rounds. Which seemed to work better for me! Better than I thought it would work. My usual type of skipping is running in place. Sometimes I mix it up with a double hop on one leg and alternate from leg to leg. I also mix it up jumping with both legs together. Like a double under. But not that good yet! Have tried. My cordination isn't good enough. I did today practicing moving forwards and backwards whilst skipping. I also after a lot of practice managed to go around the clock. Skipping on the spot rotating 360 degrees. Took some practice. You have to turn very slow. And watch the rope. If it flexes to much, you will catch yourself.

Anyway the stats. Time 15 minutes and 4 seconds. Average heart rate 122bpm, I stayed in my target zone of 150-175bpm 63% of the time. I burnt 122 calories.

Came in side, warmed down, half a can of soup, glass of water.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just got back from doing a 4.6 mile jog according to google. I ran 4.6 miles in 33 minutes and 40 seconds. My average heart rate was 126bpm. I stayed in my target heart rate zone of 150-175bpm 65% of the time. I burnt 250 calories.

On the last long steep hill, near the end of the 4.6 mile circuit which I mentioned in an earlier post on interval training. I ran faster from one lamp post to the next, then resumed my normal jogging pace to the next lamp post. Then upped the pace to a sprint again. I did this for about the last 3/4 of a mile, to my house.

Then I cooled down outside. Came in did the stretches. Then a glass of semi skinned milk.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well not long been back in, from doing an hours boxing. Started off by doing 3 two minute rounds of shadow boxing. With 30 second rests inbetween round. Practing 1-1, 1-1-2, ect.
    I then went on the heavy bag for 2 minute rounds. Practicing left and right hand jolt, double jabs, hooks, shovel hooks, and occasionally uppercuts. Upto 6 punch combinations, mainly using hooks as Dempsey suggests. I even practiced doing left hand jolts to the solar plexus, followed by an striaght right or right hook. It feels and seems more powerful following with an hook. I very occasionally practiced counter punching. I'd bob down, on the way down I'd strike with a left jolt, weave to the right, and finish with an right hook.

Then I had 30 second rest. Then 2 minute round on the speedbag. I alternated between the speedbag and heavy bag upto the hour with 30 second rests. One thing I noticed today is. I am now staying on the ball of my right foot most of the time now.

I finished off with 10 minutes skipping. I definately felt the burn in my biceps. My skipping is improving.

Came inside, warm down stretches, glass of milk, and relax.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not long been back from a 4.6 mile jog. Obviously running 4.6 mile runs with in two days, with mixed in interval training the same as yesterday. Is going to have an adverse effect on my running performance. But since I'm a boxer and not a runner I don't care to much about that. I'm currently trying out the old pro's advice on running. Everyday...

It was definitely a harder run today. My stats are 36 minutes and 9 seconds. My average heart rate was 124bpm. I stayed in my target zone of 150-175bpm 64% of the time. I burnt 275 calories.

Come in, did warm down stretches, had porridge oats, herbal tea, and banana.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got side tracked yesterday. So didn't do any skipping or boxing.

Just got back from doing a 4.6 mile run. Finished with interval training for the last 3/4 of a mile home. Did it in 35 minutes and 39 seconds. My average heart rate over the run was 105bpm. I stayed in my target zone of 150-175bpm 54 % of the time. I burnt 122 calories. Either I didn't push as hard today or my cardio performance has got better... Time will tell. As you can see from the stats. But I still sweat loads. One of the reasons I didn't push hard today. Is because I will be down the boxing gym tonight. So didn't want to risk an injury.

Came in, did warm down stretches, glass of semi skinned milk.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been boxing tonight at the gym, did skipping and shadow boxing for warming up. Then we did some strenght and stamina building exercises. Then we did more pad work.

I'm not so sure I agree with some of the training there teaching at the new gym. Don't agree with the stance, and the technique for Hooks. There teaching methods which are completely different from what I learnt at my old gym. Not only that it does go against Dempsey aswell. It feels wrong to me. Which is like learning from day 1 again. Which means my technique is then rubbish. Which frustrates the crap out of me. I might just carry on, and do it my way, next session...Which probably wont go down to well. I'm a payed up member for another 4 weeks. Then I may go back to my old gym. Which concentrates solely on boxing, no other discipline.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just got in from another training session. Changed the order of this work out to fall more in line with the old school train of thought. Started off with 15 minutes skipping with my new rope. Then I shadow boxed 3 rounds. Then with my new gloves. I did a couple of rounds on the bag. Then took my gloves off and did a round on the speedbag. Then back on the heavy bag. I did this for 50 minutes. Then I went through my circuit training routine. I did three two minute rounds of skipping for warming down.

I had swapped out army style sit ups and twisted sit ups with calisthenics. Both the straight up, and twisted.

Came inside, and did my warm down stretches.

My new rope is a Taurus Henry Cooper Rope. Which is so much better than my Everlast. The rope doesn't twist as much and it will go as fast as you can. It a lot more consistant in performance over the Everlast. A much better product. My skipping has already improved.

My new boxing gloves are Lonsdale Ultimata Pro Fight Training Gloves, 16Oz. Made in London by the same craftsman as there contest gloves, which pro fighters like Chrish Eubank Junior use. They are very well made. The stitching is very high quality. It makes a very good fist. The impact is very good. It offers loads of wrist support. These gloves are far better than Fairtex all around. By comparison, the Lonsdale have far better wrist support. This is due to a better hook and loop design, and also the more traditional slit down the middle of the glove. Which the Fairtex glove is missing all together, which makes it rigid and therefore not conform to your wrist shape aswell, as it doesn't taper. Both the Fairtex and the Lonsdale are more or less the same size. Which is small for a 16Oz glove, more of a punchers glove. The Lonsdale having a more traditional design glove and wrist support. Is slightly longer than the Fairtex. The foam density feels just right in the Lonsdale, where as the Fairtex feels a little hard. But the Lonsdale cost £100 Vs £75 of the Fairtex..So you'd expect better. Overall the Lonsdale suits me better, and on initial impression is a better glove. Time will tell how long it lasts..
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should post some video snippets of your training Dave!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have thought about doing a video, but decided that I'm going to wait just for now. When I get to a certain stage in my boxing, which I'm happy with. Then I'll post a video.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well just got back from another 4.6 mile jog. This is getting tough going. Not a single day this week that I haven't jogged. My times arn't great but I'm still getting the benefit. Still getting a good sweat going.

The stats, I ran 4.6 miles in 36 minutes and 33 seconds. My average heart rate was 112bpm. I stayed in my target heart zone of 150-175bpm 58% of the time. I burnt 191 calories.

Came inside, did warm down stretches. Glass of semi skimmed milk. And beans on toast.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well yesterday, I warmed up with 15 minutes skipping. I am now skipping 2 minute rounds with an 30 second rest inbetween. Then I did 2 minute rounds of Shadow boxing with 30 seconds rest inbetween. I did 3 rounds. Then I did 3 rounds on the speedbag. The style I worked out on the speedbag is. 12 fast back hand punches on the right hand then 12 fast back hand punches on the left hand. The speedbag rounds were 2 minutes long with 30 second rests inbetween. I then did 3 rounds on the heavy bag. 2 minute rounds with 30 second rests. I practice 1-1, 1-1-2,1-2, 1-2-3, 1-4, 1-6,1-2-5 ect. Paying attention to footwork and body rotation. Then I did another 3 rounds on the speedbag, the same as above. Then another 2 rounds on the heavy bag. Then I did my plyometrics routine which took me just over the hour. Then I did 3 rounds on the skipping rope for warm down.

Came inside. Glass of semi skinned milk. Warm down stretches.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Today, as I have been busy. I only managed to get a 4.6 mile run in. The run took me 36 minutes and 9 seconds. My average heart rate was 107bpm. I stayed in my target heart zone of 150-175bpm 55% of the time. I burnt 186 calories.

Came inside, did warm down stretches. Glass of semi skimmed milk.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Tuesday night I went Boxing at the gym. Which was a really good session. Really enjoyed it. Had a laugh with the instructors.

Wednesday, I did a 4.6 mile run in the morning, and about 2 hours swimming in the afternoon.

Today I got up at 6am, before work, and went for a 2 mile run. Unfortunately it is raining here. And as my boxing equipment is outside. I'm not uncovering it and ruining it. So looks like I wont be able to train tonight.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well earlier today, I went outside and did a 4.6 mile jog. After reading Henry Coopers Tackle Boxing. I have added different exercises to my running. I now mix it up a lot more. I now will now sprint the lenth of three lamp posts (70 metres) then jog, whilst jogging I have started to include shadow boxing. Practice any punch from just a Jab, sometimes I double the Jab up, then I might do 1-2-3-2, 1-6, 1-2-5, 1-4, ect. Then for the steep hill towards the end. I did my normal interval patten sprint from one lamp post( 35 meters) to the next, back down to a jog, then sprint ect. When I got to the top of the hill. I Sprint as fast as I could running backwards from one lamp post to the next(keeping on the ball of my feet),then I would turn around jog to the next lamp post, turn back around and sprint backwards again.

Doing all this extra activites whilst running, did open my time upto 38 minutes. But then as Henry wrote, your running time over the overall distance is not important. You should still run fast, but place more importance on what you do whilst running.

PS, don't worry about looking a fool, doing shadow boxing whilst running. Its not like anybody is going to say anything!

So I came in, did warm down stretches, glass of semi skimmed milk.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well did a nice fitness session this afternoon. Started with four two minute rounds of skipping. With 30 second rests. Saw a definate improvement in my skipping today. The strenght and stamina in my legs is definately improving. Whilst jumping with both feet at the same time. I stayed on the ball of my feet, and was skipping quite fast. Was surprised with myself and I was able to keep it up, without going wrong to often. I practiced going backwards and forwards aswell abit this time. This will be incorporated more in the future. I also still practiced doing one leg hops. Which feel slow and clumsy by comparison.

I then went on and did four two minute rounds of shadow boxing. With 30 second rests. Practicing combinations and sometimes slowing it right down. To make sure I was using right technique then very slowly increasing the pace.

I then went on to do four two minute rounds on the speedbag. With 30 second rests inbetween. Doing 12 backhand punches fast and hard then swapping hand.

I then went on and did three rounds of two minutes. With 30 second rest between rounds. I ment to do four. But got rained off. I again practiced my combinations. Including new combinations today. One of which was Henry Coopers Signature. Left jab followed by Left hook. I practiced for awhile real slow, so that I could see and feel the techniques was correct, then I gradually picked the pace up.

Then I moved my work out mat indoors, because it was raining heavy. And did my circuit training routine, once through. I no longer do Eubank style one handed push ups. But I do do Dempsey style sit-ups, and twisted sit ups.

Then I did warm down stretches, glass of milk, and herbal tea.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information