Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who worse? Don King or Bob Arum- and why?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who worse? Don King or Bob Arum- and why?

Arum is now but King in his heyday was overtly ruthless and conniving to the extreme. If King was around he would have maximised his purse by having the Floyd v Pac Man fight 3 years ago with star fights on the undercard. Today we get over priced crap with poor under cards from the amateur promoters in comparison to King.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Arum is now but King in his heyday was overtly ruthless and conniving to the extreme. If King was around he would have maximised his purse by having the Floyd v Pac Man fight 3 years ago with star fights on the undercard. Today we get over priced crap with poor under cards from the amateur promoters in comparison to King.
    This. King would have done a May/Pac fight like 3 years ago. King would have gotten it done. No questions about it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    No. Understand me properly. I'm not saying Arum doesn't have fighters, but the MEGA FIGHTS have been lacking from his stable.

Take for example the Pac/Marquez fight. No one was TRULY interested in that fight series until AFTER they saw the first one, how Marquez got back up to make it a fight and how Pac was stunned by the sheer will power of Marquez.

Those two men made their own fight trilogy... they made their own legacy. Sure, Arum helped to set up the first fight and the subsequent fights, but it was by accident that those two made magic when they did.

That's all I'm saying.
    I do understand but Arum does in house fights to collect a portion of two fighters vs one and covets trinkets. Oscar is coming along the same way. Sauerland and others do the same from the Euro side.
    Thats just the way it is in this risk/reward gone reverse boxing culture. Most of the mega fights over the last five or so years have Arums stamp on it. King has not been a major player for well over a decade unless you consider Mayorga relevant. Have to admit he's probably the richest gate keeper in history.

Like I tried to say in my initial post. I have a hard time telling the difference between two piles of shit. It just so happens Arum is relevant and King is not.

Arum hates Oscar and Oscar hates Arum. Arum hates Floyd and Floyd hates Arum and is affiliated with Oscar. They all have an even hand in any stagnation of the sport. That and the kazillion belts.
    Name a "Mega-fight" that Arum was behind, aside from the Pac/Marquez affair? Be honest now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

King is the devil himself

Name a "Mega-fight" that Arum was behind, aside from the Pac/Marquez affair? Be honest now...
    Hagler vs Leonard, Hagler vs. Duran, Hagler vs. Hearns etc,

I think he was also involved promoting Ali vs. Frazier II and other Ali fights.

Only Don King can be compared to Arum in promoting.
    Last edited by TysonBomb; 12-05-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. Understand me properly. I'm not saying Arum doesn't have fighters, but the MEGA FIGHTS have been lacking from his stable.

Take for example the Pac/Marquez fight. No one was TRULY interested in that fight series until AFTER they saw the first one, how Marquez got back up to make it a fight and how Pac was stunned by the sheer will power of Marquez.

Those two men made their own fight trilogy... they made their own legacy. Sure, Arum helped to set up the first fight and the subsequent fights, but it was by accident that those two made magic when they did.

That's all I'm saying.
    I do understand but Arum does in house fights to collect a portion of two fighters vs one and covets trinkets. Oscar is coming along the same way. Sauerland and others do the same from the Euro side.
    Thats just the way it is in this risk/reward gone reverse boxing culture. Most of the mega fights over the last five or so years have Arums stamp on it. King has not been a major player for well over a decade unless you consider Mayorga relevant. Have to admit he's probably the richest gate keeper in history.

Like I tried to say in my initial post. I have a hard time telling the difference between two piles of shit. It just so happens Arum is relevant and King is not.

Arum hates Oscar and Oscar hates Arum. Arum hates Floyd and Floyd hates Arum and is affiliated with Oscar. They all have an even hand in any stagnation of the sport. That and the kazillion belts.
    Are u freakin serious? You also claimed everyone from 130 to 156 are ducking Donaire. Get a grip man.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty sure Arum has never murdered anyone, so...

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post
    King is the devil himself

Hagler vs Leonard, Hagler vs. Duran, Hagler vs. Hearns etc,

I think he was also involved promoting Ali vs. Frazier II and other Ali fights.

Only Don King can be compared to Arum in promoting.
    Well I should have said as of late... hehehe... ok, maybe I hate Arum a little bit for this BS with May/Pac. But, I have a justification to be angry!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's all I'm saying.

Are u freakin serious? You also claimed everyone from 130 to 156 are ducking Donaire. Get a grip man.
    Yea... and, I should say, anyone from 122 to 147...

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the two of them as being any different than any of the other "super" promoters that have existed throughout the history of the sport. Boxing is a business, always has been and always will be. And the nature of business is to make as much money as possible, and if the easiest way to make the most is by cheating somebody else, it's just business!!
    And King not only got Ali to fight Holmes, he also (according to some) shorted his end of the money by $1million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I don't see the two of them as being any different than any of the other "super" promoters that have existed throughout the history of the sport. Boxing is a business, always has been and always will be. And the nature of business is to make as much money as possible, and if the easiest way to make the most is by cheating somebody else, it's just business!!
    And King not only got Ali to fight Holmes, he also (according to some) shorted his end of the money by $1million.
    Look up what he did to guys like Tim Witherspoon or Hashim Rahman

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

don king from what i remember mostly had a stranglehold on the HW division (tho that was the biggest draw at the time)

arum has fucked over the majority of weight classes that are featured on us television at one time or another, and out of spite he tried to ruin the career of possibly the 2nd best guy in the world right now in donaire

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's like asking which is worse between having full blown AIDS or terminal cancer.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    It's like asking which is worse between having full blown AIDS or terminal cancer.
    Terminal Cancer is worse. You can live for a long time with AIDS nowadays. Having said that I still wouldn't wish it on King or Arum. Developing a conscience or a bad case of flu would probably be enough to finish them off at their advanced stage of degradation.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Terminal Cancer is worse. You can live for a long time with AIDS nowadays. Having said that I still wouldn't wish it on King or Arum. Developing a conscience or a bad case of flu would probably be enough to finish them off at their advanced stage of degradation.
    just pop some tenofovir and you're good to go

Thread Information