Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Stephen king sucks.
    He's not perfect by any stretch, I've often found that he just doesn't know how to finish a book.

IT is the perfect example of that, The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Salems Lot and many others are really good though.

I've not read all of his books but a fair few of the main ones, like I say he's not perfect but he has done some good stuff.
    Needful things is probably my favourite of his. He has cool ideas for sure, which is why so many of his books became films, but it’s telling that they also became more fun for it.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Stephen king sucks. I just finished reading Our man in Havana, which is terrific. Considering it was written so soon before the Cuban missile crisis, it’s quite prophetic to boot.
    There's a very good movie based on the book.

Some of Stephen King's work isn't so good, for example I hated Pet Sematary, The Dead Zone and Night Shift.

But there are some very good ones like The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption. I also liked The Langoliers which is more sci-fi than horror.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Researching this at the moment. The sacred theory of the earth. This is mind blowing:

https://archive.org/stream/sacredthe...ge/n4/mode/1up
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Researching this at the moment. The sacred theory of the earth. This is mind blowing:

Give me a synopsis please?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Google it you lazy bastard, that's what I did

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Google it you lazy bastard, that's what I did
    That is interesting now that you mentioned it. Keep up that new year's resolution mate.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After seeing he hype about netflixs Birdbox I read the book.Really good read, a lot better than the movie

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Aaughan View Post
    After seeing he hype about netflixs Birdbox I read the book.Really good read, a lot better than the movie
    @Aaughan I read Birdbox a few years back when it first came out, I enjoyed it, felt like a good old fashioned horror very much in the vein as James Herberts stuff like The Dark and The Fog.

At the time when you are reading it the fact that no one in the book knew what the creatures were was really good because it was entirely over to your own imagination.

I think I appreciated the ending a little more than the movie as well, I remember it only took me a day to fly through it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok it's a theory about how the humanity has been reset (possibly several times), and each time it's reset our history from the previous civilization is lost. They are trying to figure out when the world will end, but because they are aware that history has been changed, they are at the conclusion that they have no knowledge of our actual past, so are unable to predict when the end could occur.

When put alongside the history we are aware of, it is quite chilling. I've talked about ghost cities on here previously, and when you think of the foundlings and orphans from the 1800s, the numbers are actually astounding, it seems highly possible that these kids were moved around, with no ties or memories of their parents and taught/ given false histories.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just finished reading this, obviously this is the audio-book version:

They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Hockney By David Hockney - My early years

Brilliant, really enjoyed it. i Think min (from a charity shop) was the unupdated version

Absolute Titan of British Art and a big fuck you to most fake intellectuals who know less about the history and techniques used by the old masters now as old farts than he did as a teenager. Amazing to see how the relationship between Britain and the states have changed, how technology has shrunk the world and quite how full of shite many so called experts always were.

My stepson bought me 'The Secret Barrister: Stories of the law and how it is broken' for Christmas. In the mistaken belief, I think, that i would having worked in the sector find it fascinating. Incredibly dull and very nearly unreadable. It's pretty accurate but a real uphill struggle to maintain the enthusiasm needed to suffer yet another page of witless, humdrum blandness. There are much better ways to remove your will to live.

Love Henning Mankell's Wallander thrillers, after the original Swedish language TV show ( not the Brannagh shite) and just finished 'Sidetracked' which i really enjoyed. Love the character and every time I read it, want to go to Sweden to feel the amazing landscape in which they are set.

Have Carl Jung's 'Man and his symbols' and Steven Pinker's 'The language Instinct' on the go too. Pinker is full of crap like most psychologists, but I like to try and understand why people like him think the way they do.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Randomley found myself starting The Algonquin Project. I've never been big on conspiracy theories and such but it is pretty interesting all that has been recently published about the death of Patton. In a car going 20 mph no less and initial reports by investigators disappearing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ken Bruen--anything by Ken Bruen

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Picked it up and down a few times, but travelling I listened to the audio book all the way through.

Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign

Totally non-bias. No leaning, just a honest look at how the wheels were falling off from the getgo.

From her hiring an Asian midlevel IT guy to do security I.T. IMO wreaks of doing it on the cheap...guy was over his head...and the timing of the FBI looking to see if they were being hacked without letting anyone know...

Paranoia was understandable considering the timing of Mueller I think? reopening the email case , then closing it again made the suspicions legit. Leon Podesta, not sure it was all his fault for clicking on the click bait link...the fool who forgot to type do NOT click...is what made Leon the Peon....he gave the keys over.

Just so many errors. They campaigned in the wrong areas, had money to burn, and went cheap when they should have went long. It was real circus of bad clowns...and no adjective laced insults from the writers...they presented the facts allowing the reader to determine it to be what it was: shattered.

Listening to Roussian Roulette now.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 03-21-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information