Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

'White' - Bret Easton Ellis

Bret Easton Ellis has enthralled before with 'Less Than Zero', 'Rules of Attraction', and 'American Psycho' but this book is quite different as it's set in reality and ponders how we've come to be at this place where there is authoritarian corporate control over emotions and you're supposed to express your approval or disdain over everything and anything in lockstep with the masses. Bret has ruffled a few feathers in the past, 'American Psycho' was banned for a while, although he's gay himself GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) banned him from attending their awards ceremony one year. He's a social commentator in this book and explains a lot of how millennials whom he calls "generation wuss" came to be as they are. He was seeing a millennial at the time of Trump's election, he has lived in the liberal elite bubbles of LA and New York and explains how Trump supporters out there are closeted due to how 'cancel culture' impacts EVERYTHING and just how high and mighty these coastal elites believe they are at one point an unnamed man at a dinner Bret is attending shouts that "Yes LA and New York should choose the President over some rural know nothing!".

It's been an interesting read.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blueprints for Mind Control by James True

El Kabong Guest

'Kitchen Confidential' - Anthony Bourdain

Bourdain was an interesting guy and I'm somewhat sad he's not around anymore. His book is what I figured it would be, it's debauched, erratic, loving, hating, glamorizing and shocking about the food service industry at the highest level. Some of what he writes are universal truths to the industry others are specific only to the highest levels of the craft. It is a fun read so far.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reading one of Roy Kean’s autobiographies, I do not ordinarily read footballers books but have always admired him as a footballer, which was about the end of his career and management. He had a physical fight with Peter Schmeichel where he gave him a black eye. He was let go by Utd because he criticised the players for their 4-1 loss to Middleborough on their in-house channel.

He could have gone to Everton, Real Madrid but chose Celtic as his boyhood club. His management stories were boring but he got Sunderland promoted, messed up Ipswich and did some punditry which he does not enjoy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Just finished up 'Ball of Collusion' by Andrew McCarthy. Ok book, not much new information for me

El Kabong Guest

Just started 'Devil in The White City' by Erik Larson so far so good, intriguing from the get go!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have just finished Hannibal Rising which was my first fiction in a while. Next is Douglas Murray's new one. Something about about crowds and how bonkers they are which is one reason I tend to avoid large groups of mentally ill people. One Hannibal is fine, but a crowd of Sociology majors in masks is best avoided.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reading this again:

Green Book Book by Muammar al-Gaddafi. I would encourage people to read it.
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Just started 'Devil in The White City' by Erik Larson so far so good, intriguing from the get go!
    So just to let people know the premise the book is about Chicago's 1893 World's Fair, the architects who built the White City namely Daniel Burnham and Francis Davis Millet ; mentally ill Patrick Eugene Prendergast who was to become the assassin of Chicago's Mayor Carter Harrison Sr. at his home right after the fair; and H.H. Holmes America's first notable serial killer, vicious that one.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 11-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Started this again: What Soldiers Do: Sex and the American GI in World War II France.
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

I'm currently in the middle of David La Vere's 'The Tuscarora War: Indians, Settlers, and the fight for the Carolina colonies.

It's really well done. It wastes no time on SJW lamentations looking at history through the prism of today. It's straightforward, it provides definite answers when able and plausible hypotheses otherwise. I'm finding that the culture clash between Indians and Settlers the most intriguing. Indians were very cagey and shrewd in their trade practices and they were very open to people of other cultures marrying their women and surprisingly some big wig colonizers were cool with this as well. Their idea being that it would be the only way to bring the Indians into a more European society, get them apprenticeships etc.

Another interesting aspect is the naivety on display by both Indians and Settlers. The Indians belief that they could raid villages and massacre people and that the Settlers would just come to the understanding that "Oh, well the Indians are in control. We better mind our p's and q's" instead of responding in kind. And the Settlers who would too often treat Indians very poorly and then when attacked get all "Well what the hell did we do to deserve this?" ....in the hindsight of some 300 years I'm sure this is much more amusing than when things were actually going down.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reading the Jefferson files which was written by an author in my state who published his first book at 75. Takes place in 1806 with a secret society infiltrating the US government. It’s fiction but set around historical facts. Interesting book

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Garden of Forking Paths

by Jorge Luis Borges

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im hopeless I have five on at any one time depending on mood. Inside the Firm: The Untold Story of the Krays' Reign of Terror

By Tony Lambriuani. Just finished it: interesting honest read some things debunked some illuminated. EG : I never knew Den from East Enders was an ex crim and had done long stretch for murder and served alongside Tony once.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    The Garden of Forking Paths

by Jorge Luis Borges
    Sort of wish it was by a Chinese author.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information