Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Is Canelo the toughest opponent Floyd has faced since weighing more than 140?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes, He Is.

11 40.74%
  • No, Oscar De La Hoya Was.

10 37.04%
  • No, Miguel Cotto Was.

4 14.81%
  • No, Ricky Hatton Was.

2 7.41%
  • No, Juan Manuel Marquez Was.

0 0%
  • No, Shane Mosley Was.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

Fellow Saddos - what's your take?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

There's a good argument that he is:

1. He's undefeated. Other than Hatton, every other fighter Mayweather faced since joining the ranks at junior welterweight and welterweight had lost previously.
    2. He's young. Every other fighter Mayweather faced, other than Marquez and arguably Hatton (Guerrero & Ortiz too) was passed his prime.
    3. He's coming off his biggest victory. No other fighter that faced Mayweather went into the match at the peak of their confidence as a fighter.
    4. He's at a weight class above where Mayweather typically fights. Mayweather had his toughest fights against Oscar De La Hoya and Miguel Cotto, and those fights were at 154. Marquez came up in weight for Mayweather. Hatton didn't look as good at 147 against Collazo, as he had at 140 previously.

There's also a good argument that he isn't:

1. He's too green. He's had one great victory, over Austin Trout, but he hasn't faced enough different styles, and hasn't been in with enough champions, to pose too much of a threat.
    2. They are fighting at a catch-weight. Canelo is a big kid for 154. Will the two pounds affect him negatively? He already has been criticized for his stamina. It's quite possible another two pounds could make him even more lethargic.
    3. Styles make fights. He's not fast enough, or as adept at defense, and too deliberate, to trouble Mayweather.
    4. He's overrated. Sure he beat Trout, but what else has he done? Jose Cotto had him reeling.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

The thing with red headed fuck is that he improves with every fight, he's always getting better.

I do think that Oscar was the most dangerous and toughest opponent for Floyd in years. Tougher even than Canelo will be on paper, but since Canelo is ever improving and a big bastard with underrated defense, and a whole country behind him (why I don't know cus he's a prick), well all that adds up to him being potentially a very rough night for Floyd.

I think Floyd will win, but he cannot sleep on the ginger bastard.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've said yes. I'm most intrigued by Canelo as an opponent because he's young, he's undefeated, he improves with every fight, he is a natural 154lber and Floyd is older and doesn't have as much speed in the legs as he used to. In think on paper, it could be one of his hardest ever challenges.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    The thing with red headed fuck is that he improves with every fight, he's always getting better.

I do think that Oscar was the most dangerous and toughest opponent for Floyd in years. Tougher even than Canelo will be on paper, but since Canelo is ever improving and a big bastard with underrated defense, and a whole country behind him (why I don't know cus he's a prick), well all that adds up to him being potentially a very rough night for Floyd.

What makes him 'a prick'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Y all the hate towards Canelo haha?!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post

His smug arrogance, beating up on tomato cans his first 30 or 40 fights and his sense of entitlement fighting for his first belt against MATTHEW HATTON.

Not to mention assaulting some lil bantam weight for supposedly hitting on his girlfriend.

He's a bully and he likes to jerk off fancy horses or artificially inseminate them or something of the sort.

I do not like him Sam I am, I do not like red headed fuck and ham.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post

His smug arrogance, beating up on tomato cans his first 30 or 40 fights and his sense of entitlement fighting for his first belt against MATTHEW HATTON.

Not to mention assaulting some lil bantam weight for supposedly hitting on his girlfriend.

He's a bully and he likes to jerk off fancy horses or artificially inseminate them or something of the sort.

I do not like him Sam I am, I do not like red headed fuck and ham.
    He speaks very highly of you .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I've said yes. I'm most intrigued by Canelo as an opponent because he's young, he's undefeated, he improves with every fight, he is a natural 154lber and Floyd is older and doesn't have as much speed in the legs as he used to. In think on paper, it could be one of his hardest ever challenges.
    Really WOW his legs and speed looked as fast as hes ever been in his last fight in fact i think floyd is going to get even better and sharper as these next 5 fights go on, because hes fighting 2 times a year and will be basically training non stop. So think about it no more fighting having long lay offs hes only going to be better and sharper hes going to destroy canelo i bet any1 he stops or makes canelo quit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the version of Dela Hoya Floyd fought was probably about where Canelo is now. The other intangible factors (+/-) make it about even also, however I have to go with Oscar simply because of the proven element of his stock.

Cotto is one heck of a fighter but he is also a battered one.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Really WOW his legs and speed looked as fast as hes ever been in his last fight in fact i think floyd is going to get even better and sharper as these next 5 fights go on, because hes fighting 2 times a year and will be basically training non stop. So think about it no more fighting having long lay offs hes only going to be better and sharper hes going to destroy canelo i bet any1 he stops or makes canelo quit
    See I think Guerrero didn't have a plan B. Floyd pretty much stood in the middle of the ring and just beat Guerrero to the punch, he didn't really have to get away. Compare his footwork in the Marquez fight, which was exceptional for a 2 year layoff. I think he has naturally lost a step, which will favour Canelo. He's still quick on his feet, just not as quick as he was IMO.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ODH is probably the hardest because Floyd had never gone up that high in weight but we know that was an old Oscar and this version of Canelo is dangerous.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say DLH, Mosley and Hatton were tougher opponents stylistically.

To me, all Canelo has in his corner is size and the possibility that Mayweather might suddenly "get old" overnight.

I think anyone who thinks Canelo is Floyd's toughest test above 140 is either severely over rating Canelo or is playing a little bit of revisionist history with Floyd's opponents.

DLH, Mosley and Hatton were acknowledged as "over the hill" a few short years after Floyd fought them, but when he DID fight them they were considered serious threats.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's a quick break down of the betting odds on a few of Floyd's previous opponents and the odds in the Canelo fight (these are approximate):

Mayweather vs. Marquez - odds were -360 favoring PBF
    Mayweather vs. Ortiz - odds were -600 - -800 favoring PBF
    Mayweather vs. Guerrero - odds were -750 favoring PBF
    Mayweather vs. Cotto - odds were -800 favoring PBF
    Mayweather vs. Mosley - odds were -450 favoring PBF

Mayweather vs. Canelo - odds are -200 - -300 favoring PBF

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I'd say DLH, Mosley and Hatton were tougher opponents stylistically.

To me, all Canelo has in his corner is size and the possibility that Mayweather might suddenly "get old" overnight.

I think anyone who thinks Canelo is Floyd's toughest test above 140 is either severely over rating Canelo or is playing a little bit of revisionist history with Floyd's opponents.

DLH, Mosley and Hatton were acknowledged as "over the hill" a few short years after Floyd fought them, but when he DID fight them they were considered serious threats.
    Or both. I will say this. I think it is pretty much agreed that out of those opponents, Cotto and De La Hoya actually gave Mayweather the toughest fights. Both those fights were at 154. At least with Cotto, I think he outperformed what most people thought he was going to be able to do against Floyd. Then in his next fight, he was completely dominated by Austin Trout. Therefore, an argument can be made that Floyd has been less effective at 154.

This fight isn't at 154 though, it's at a catch weight of 152, and how the catch weight affects Canelo's shot is critical if you are considering betting on the fight.

So, I take it you don't really rate Canelo as a good win in comparison with Floyd's wins over Hatton, Mosley and De La Hoya? Would you rate it over Guerrero, Ortiz and Marquez? Or right in the mix there?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 06-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Thread Information