Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think George Zimmerman is guilty of murder?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does anyone think George Zimmerman is guilty of murder?

I think this whole case has been unfortunate. Zimmerman has been screwed by the media (namely NBC) and ignorant celebs who have pounded this idea of a guy just itching to shoot this poor innocent black teenager, but the fact that Treyvon a) (allegedly) initiated the confrontation and b) (undeniably) was beating the hell out of Zimmerman never gets brought up.

Does anyone here think he's guilty, and why? I haven't seen a good reason yet (including what I've heard from the prosecution).

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Does anyone think George Zimmerman is guilty of murder?

I don't think he's guilty of murder. I think the situation was undeniably a tragic one but I don't think there's any intent there for a murder charge. Now in a civil case a wrongful death suit will no doubt have some legs.

I'd just assume this case vanish from my sight. People like Al Sharpton who is 100% dead set of Zimmerman's guilt and Nancy Grace who is just hysteria incarnate will attempt to boost their ratings by going over the top with the coverage from this case.

Zimmerman followed a kid who looked like he didn't belong in his neighborhood. Now for the people watching Sharpton's pathetic show they'll ready that as "he saw a black kid and followed him just because he was black", but when you think about how Trayvon was new to the area and probably didn't know his way around all that well and that he may or may not have been under the influence of a drug so yeah he really could have looked suspicious not just because he's black that IS a possibility that certain people don't want to accept. George Zimmerman seemed over zealous but having been in a neighborhood where there was a spree of break ins and seeing how impotent the Police were in doing anything to prevent it I don't blame him for keeping an eye on Trayvon.

The point of contention is how did the scuffle escalate to the point where Trayvon ended up shot...unless Zimmerman is mentally unstable or a total certified grade A asshole I don't know why he would have instigated any confrontation....Trayvon being followed most likely would have irked him and I completely understand that, I've been in neighborhoods and places where people look at me funny and I can tell they are following my movements more closely, but for whatever reason I have never once been in a fist fight because I was out of place somewhere. Zimmerman says Trayvon jumped him, if that's the case then Trayvon did something incredibly stupid that cost him his life. If Zimmerman initiated the physical altercation (of which signs point to NO) then yes I could see him being convicted, maybe of manslaughter instead of murder just because it would be extremely hard to prove his intention was to murder Trayvon.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 06-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is the trial on soon?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, murder's a bit harsh in this case. If there was a scuffle and the shooting resulted from it, it's a manslaughter charge at most.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even manslaughter would be a terrible miscarrage of justice. Classic self defense instance

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Even manslaughter would be a terrible miscarrage of justice. Classic self defense instance

Gotta be careful with that, Bean.
    Don't want to open the door for all scuffles from now on to be permanently settled because someone has a gun.... and for that to be ok.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That door is already open in Florida with the "stand your ground" act, although I don't think this fits that act.

If you have a license to carry a firearm, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use it if you're in danger.

I say if you decide to physically assault someone, you're taking your chances.

El Kabong Guest

That door is already open in Florida with the "stand your ground" act, although I don't think this fits that act.

If you have a license to carry a firearm, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use it if you're in danger.

Common sense right there....know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, I'm just saying... where do you draw the line regarding "being in danger".

Without getting off topic, I'd be careful with that kind of legislation. What if someone cuts in front of you at a hardware store line? What if you think rightly or wrongly that someone looked a little too long at your girlfriend? What if you complain in either of those cases... and the other guy is armed? Will he feel threatened and in danger? It just opens a whole 'nother can of worms.

If Zimmerman truly shot Trayvon as result of a good old-fashioned scuffle.... a self-defense verdict is walking on some truly thin ice, IMO.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Without getting off topic, I'd be careful with that kind of legislation. What if someone cuts in front of you at a hardware store line? What if you think rightly or wrongly that someone looked a little too long at your girlfriend? What if you complain in either of those cases... and the other guy is armed? Will he feel threatened and in danger? It just opens a whole 'nother can of worms.

If Zimmerman truly shot Trayvon as result of a good old-fashioned scuffle.... a self-defense verdict is walking on some truly thin ice, IMO.
    So you think Zimmerman just shot Trayvon because his feelings got hurt?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The laws of self defense are pretty clear I think. Being in danger would be someone posing a real threat of physical harm. No laws says anyone has to be nice to people or be polite, but there are pretty strict rules that say you can't just beat the shit out of someone.

Zimmerman certainly wasn't a willing participant in the scuffle so I think he should have every right to defend himself. The kid did some real damage, and you never know what can happen. Tons of people have been killed in street fights, you take a punch, hit your head and get a blood clot or some shit.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The laws of self defense are pretty clear I think. Being in danger would be someone posing a real threat of physical harm. No laws says anyone has to be nice to people or be polite, but there are pretty strict rules that say you can't just beat the shit out of someone.

Zimmerman certainly wasn't a willing participant in the scuffle so I think he should have every right to defend himself. The kid did some real damage, and you never know what can happen. Tons of people have been killed in street fights, you take a punch, hit your head and get a blood clot or some shit.

You're at a bar and some guy shoves you.
    You're armed, and you feel threatened, so you shoot the guy dead.
    How should that be legally handled?

El Kabong Guest

There's always the opportunity to remove yourself from that situation UNLESS someone is sitting on top of you and pounding your head into the ground....then yes you can shoot him without repercussion because (and follow me closely on this part) YOUR LIFE WAS IN DANGER.

Zimmerman was getting the shit kicked out of him as one can tell by the broken nose and how the back of his head was fucked up.

But hey what do I know, I'm smart enough not to get in fights

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    There's always the opportunity to remove yourself from that situation UNLESS someone is sitting on top of you and pounding your head into the ground....then yes you can shoot him without repercussion because (and follow me closely on this part) YOUR LIFE WAS IN DANGER.

Zimmerman was getting the shit kicked out of him as one can tell by the broken nose and how the back of his head was fucked up.

But hey what do I know, I'm smart enough not to get in fights

The guy at the bar felt... (and follow ME closely on this part) HIS LIFE WAS IN DANGER.
    AND...... he's got a good lawyer to prove it.

There was only one exit... the guy who pushed him was 6'-8" 380 pounds, and had a tattoo of a dead man who looked just like him. He also took a couple of steps toward him, and he saw his life flash before his eyes.

NOW can he shoot him?

By the way, is this the part where Greenbeanz butts into the conversation and says that I'm condescending?
    'Cause the condescending part begins in post # 10, if we're keeping records here.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 06-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Why are you so hung up on your straw man argument? A push alone isn't life threatening unless there's a long drop involved. Besides Zimmerman wasn't "pushed" he was beaten up.

Thread Information