Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Frank Bruno really outclassed Lennox Lewis - Lewis not in Top 10

Amazing showing there by Frank. Had only seen clips of round 2,4 and 6 before this. I think this shows how Lewis was only great when he fought smaller guys. Frank Bruno was his size, and Bruno beat him up for 6 rounds before getting careless there in the 7th was it. Also Bruno should have just taken a knee to recover from that uppercut. Lennox Lewis pulled it out and I give him credit for that, but you can see when a guy HIS SIZE with HIS REACH fights him and fights hard, he seriously is undermined, his jab was nil, he was getting double and triple jabbed by Bruno all night long, Bruno rocked him on 3 occasions with rights. Just before Lewis caught Bruno, Lewis had been seriously stunned by a nice left hook/uppercut type punch from Bruno. Amazing to see, I think Vitali had watched this fight well and saw the blue print how to beat Lewis.

Now having seen this fight and remembering Ray Mercer's awesome performance, and Vitali's, and putting in how Oliver and Hasim smoked him with single shots, I really have to take him out of my Top 10 HW Greats. He benefited largely as I have always said from his garganatuan size, and his unnatural reach. I place him at #12 All Time HW.
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 09-08-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Frank Bruno really outclassed Lennox Lewis - Lewis not in Top 10

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was there and yes it looked like Bruno was dominating from my nose bleed seat. But watching it on video later, the fight was close, Bruno was ahead, he was hardly 'outclassing' Lewis.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox was a defeat waiting to happen and he was not with Steward yet and he was performing badly against Tucker and Bruno and eventually lost to McCall. After that defeat he built himself up and became a legend.

Bruno was at his peak in that fight he fought Carl Williams and some decent fighters before the title challenge and gave it his best effort. His stamina let him down as always.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Main thing i remembered was the ending.

Lewis seemed to be holding bruno head with one hand and taking shots at him.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

exactly--Lewis KOed Michael Grant with a blatant hold and hit uppercut too. Rather dodgy ways to win.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sure Lennox will be crushed at this news
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Bruno was gone, Lewis was measuring him for the right, the ref could of arguable stopped it before that as Bruno was 'gone'.

What it does show is that Bruno did not have a soft chin. He may of lacked the instincts when hurt, and only got it right when Francis programmed it into him to hold when hurt, but his chin was sound.

George Foreman

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Bruno was gone, Lewis was measuring him for the right, the ref could of arguable stopped it before that as Bruno was 'gone'.

What it does show is that Bruno did not have a soft chin. He may of lacked the instincts when hurt, and only got it right when Francis programmed it into him to hold when hurt, but his chin was sound.
    Looked brutal though.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's Boxing though ain't it Brock. Personally I don't rate Marciano. Never have. Moore and Walcott were both past their best and they still put him on his arse. He had 40 odd fights against not great fighters before finally fighting for the title in his 43rd fight. Look at the records of a lot of the guys to face him. He stopped fighting at 32? and yet still most people have him in their top ten. Great heart but ATG? I am not so sure. I believe there are a heap of heavyweights who could have beaten him from different eras but that is just supposition and opinion on my part. It's what makes the fight game so great.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that is boxing, yep. Rocky shoulda fought 2 more times Ive always said he needed to smoke Floyd in '56 and 1 more guy maybe Nino Valdez or even Sonny Liston, but no doubt needed to retire by mid-'57 latest. There really wasnt nobody around at that time so you cant fault him, yes he got put on his ass twice, big shots too, but still smoked 'em a few rounds later. He was dwarfed by everybody, and Don Cockell was no pushover, outweighed Rocky by 30 pounds.

this is about Lennox.
    @Memphis yes he will be crushed, he'll read it by this Saturday and I aint hangin around his part of London as he will hunt me down and hold my hed and throw an uppercut but he will need to get down on his knees as I am 166 cm. My cock I mean.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis is top 10

Bruno is number 1

it was a lucky punch
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Lewis is top 10

Bruno is number 1

it was a lucky punch
    Sometimes posts are of such genius, you can only quote them in a stunned awe...

George Foreman

El Kabong Guest

Bruno came to fight and Lewis was lazy for long stretches of the fight. Lewis survived due to his power and his brains.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Bruno came to fight and Lewis was lazy for long stretches of the fight. Lewis survived due to his power and his brains.
    Lewis is just better.

Top 5 heavyweight of all time.

Thread Information