Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adonis Stevenson... Where did that come from?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Adonis Stevenson... Where did that come from?

How good was he against Cloud?

Man vs boy. He demolished him.

Great, great fighter, not just a left hand.

I really underestimated Stevenson, BADLY.

Becoming one of my favorite fighters.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Adonis Stevenson... Where did that come from?

I'm a Stevenson fan but we need to be careful when analyzing the fight. Cloud was absolutely flat and almost looked broken before the bell rang to start the first round. I dont know what his punch out put was but it was dismal. He almost made Abraham look like a busy fighter. I think Bellew will put up a much better fight. If Bellew passes on the mandatory then bring on Pascal. That is a massive fight in Quebec

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think people rate cloud far abov what he is.

Stevenson vs dawson - yes great result - demolishing him in a round - although Dawson is beginning to become exposed I still think he's a top B level fighter

But cloud - I did pick him to lose handily against hopkins and he did - I don't know why he's rated anyway - I would expect any decent puncher to end him and at least beat him via an easy UD

Fair play to adonis and I think he will probably stop bellew but I dont think he belongs with the top level fighters

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1 View Post
    I think people rate cloud far abov what he is.

Stevenson vs dawson - yes great result - demolishing him in a round - although Dawson is beginning to become exposed I still think he's a top B level fighter

But cloud - I did pick him to lose handily against hopkins and he did - I don't know why he's rated anyway - I would expect any decent puncher to end him and at least beat him via an easy UD

Fair play to adonis and I think he will probably stop bellew but I dont think he belongs with the top level fighters
    I disagree.

He's whiped out 2 world champions in 4 months.

Ok maybe you don't rate them, but they were champions for a reason.

I think he'll stop Bellew in a few rounds, then I don't see many testing him, Kovalev, maybe.

GGG would need to jump up weights so I don't think he'd be as powerful.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 09-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think fighting Bellew is a borderline waste of time, that's not even a fight to me. Agree Cloud looked a bit flat, but he's still a good fighter and just couldn't get in range to let his hands go. He was trying to jab his way in, but Stevenson showed he has some slickness, he is certainly not the kill or be killed fighter I expected. For 36 he looked very fresh, has quick feet and can measure distance quite well. I think he and Kovalev would be a tremendous fight and I doubt old man Hopkins wants anything to do with either one, it's the premier fight at 175 for sure imo.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I think fighting Bellew is a borderline waste of time, that's not even a fight to me. Agree Cloud looked a bit flat, but he's still a good fighter and just couldn't get in range to let his hands go. He was trying to jab his way in, but Stevenson showed he has some slickness, he is certainly not the kill or be killed fighter I expected. For 36 he looked very fresh, has quick feet and can measure distance quite well. I think he and Kovalev would be a tremendous fight and I doubt old man Hopkins wants anything to do with either one, it's the premier fight at 175 for sure imo.
    Stevenson had a great reply when they asked him about Kovalev.

"He needs to step up, I've stopped 2 champions in 4 months"

Shows how little respect he has for Cleverly, even though Kovalev got the title, the title he got belonged to a nobody at the time.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actually more impressed with Stevensons mentality and approach more than actual execution. I over estimated what Cloud could do post Hopkins when he frankly had the look of a Pavlik in his eyes half way through that one. Stevenson showed top patience and a full package and resisted the selling out for power, but was a guy who had previously been shut down and gone to school on by Campillo and Hopkins.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion, Cloud was thoroughly outboxed by Campillo and Hopkins, before he got in the ring with Adonis. And although Adonis beat up George, I thought George actually got to him a couple of times. Dawson had been knocked out by Ward prior to his fight with Adonis. All I'm saying is that he hasn't beat a Hopkins or a Kovalev yet, or even a Pascal.

Big win for him though and he appears to be on a great trajectory.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cloud didn't embarrass himself against Hopkins though, he was in the fight and able to get inside and land now and then with the same approach he tried the other night. As you say Stevenson showed patience and guile, which I really didn't think he had any of. Any kind of those wrinkles combined with his being a rangy southpaw KO puncher makes him a very interesting fighter at the least imo.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    In my opinion, Cloud was thoroughly outboxed by Campillo and Hopkins, before he got in the ring with Adonis. And although Adonis beat up George, I thought George actually got to him a couple of times. Dawson had been knocked out by Ward prior to his fight with Adonis. All I'm saying is that he hasn't beat a Hopkins or a Kovalev yet, or even a Pascal.

Big win for him though and he appears to be on a great trajectory.
    Didn't see this before I started typing, but I mostly agree. I thought Campillo actually beat Cloud a good deal more clearly than Hopkins did, aside from being in trouble early. The LHW division has really been shaken up over the last year. Pascal fought like an idiot the other night imo, and that was the only time he'd been in the ring for almost 2 years I believe. I think Stevenson knocks him out easily if Bute doesn't first, which wouldn't surprise me.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have doubts that Bellew will beat Stevenson now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't rate Hopkins in his old age.

Hasn't had a knockout in nearly 10 years.

And in that decade his record is

8(0)-4(0)-1-1

Granted he's won world titles, but he's also lost and failed to win more in that decade.

Stevenson KOs Hopkins, so does Kovalev.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't why people think Bellew is simply going to get knocked out and it's a waste of time fight. Bellew is the mandatory and he's earned another shot at the title. Bellew was more deserving than cloud for this fight and he will put in a much better effort than Cloud. I think Bellew will be the toughest fight Stevenson will have in his career so far.

I also don't see why b hop would be scared of Stevenson either. He might be able to hit hard but I have no doubts the crafty alien will be able to work him out.

If Stevenson does get through Bellew though I think he needs to look to fight B hop or Kovalev. But if I was Stevenson I think he should keep staying busy and take on Bellew and look for the unification fights after that. There's also the massive Canadian showdowns with either Pascal or Bute but I think Stevenson would beat them both.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cloud didn't embarrass himself against Hopkins though, he was in the fight and able to get inside and land now and then with the same approach he tried the other night. As you say Stevenson showed patience and guile, which I really didn't think he had any of. Any kind of those wrinkles combined with his being a rangy southpaw KO puncher makes him a very interesting fighter at the least imo.
    oh it was a complete package. Nothing like a proven puncher showing his grey matter at work and never once forcing the issue, letting it come. I had all three pretty much closing him down, Campillo with the hardest spot to overcome in first few but pulling away after that. Cloud must have felt like he had his face shoved in a plastic fan, robbery to the max. Hopkins gets to the point where he relishes just shifting a guy off balance and making them look foolish, sharpshooting for effect as much rather he does throwing for power, but I only gave Cloud 1-2 rounds in that if I remember. He put his hands in his pockets last two and looked befuddled. Stevenson brought the power and had a willing canvas to paint on.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    How good was he against Cloud?

Man vs boy. He demolished him.

Great, great fighter, not just a left hand.

I really underestimated Stevenson, BADLY.

Becoming one of my favorite fighters.
    No my friend he isn't a great fighter , he just looked good against Cloud , styles make fights.
    he was impressive but he isn't a great fighter. he will beat Bellew easily.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information