Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Next for Golovkin.

Since 160 isn't a deep division these days, who does he fight? Does Quillin really have any kind of chance? I don't think so at all, and who knows when Martinez will fight again or if he'd want GGG right away returning from surgery and the layoff.

The best opponent I can think of would be Erislandy Lara if he beats Trout I do think Golovkin would get him out of there and he's the bigger man, but at least he'd be fighting someone with real skills and a game plan. Golovkin hasn't really fought a good mover with a jab or good countering ability, my gut feeling is he's actually pretty well suited to that but at least it's interesting. Nobody is going to trade with GGG and get the better of it around 160, he's a beast.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Next for Golovkin.

GGGs weakness seems to be fighting off the back foot. So if he fails to get a big fight they should get an opponent that can help them work on that. If Ward watched tonights fight I'd imagine he would be chomping at the bit. But that would not be a good choice for GGG yet. Froch is interested. He would suit GGGs skillset better. Sergio will still be out for a while and they've said they want a tune up when they come back so he's out. Quillen would have network issues. Considering these factors a quick fight and then Froch if he gets by Groves seems like a good plan.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about Geale or Barker?

Wouldn't mind seein Golovkin beat up Chavez Jr. but I don't see him ever makin 160 again.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez then Quillin .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's tempting to put him in with a big name, the fans have waited long enough. but last fight proved there's a lot his camp can work on. There were holes RJJ could easily identify and having someone as well rounded and apt as Sergio Martinez might be a mistake. If i were to throw a name out there, Carl Froch would be an interesting fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin will reportedly be back in the ring on February 1st in Monte Carlo, Monaco against an opponent still to be determined.

Golovkin to fight next on February 1st in Monte Carlo
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stevens had a go but that punching power, was just to much Golovkin just gave him a calculated
    beating , very impressive indeed I don't see them lining up to face GGG.
    Sergio would take bad beating, and at this stage in his career he may well retire to be honest
    Murray had Sergio over, GGG would knock him spark out, I don't think Sergio would be at all
    competitive to old and not good enough.
    Last edited by Dia bando; 11-03-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG will be tough to beat at 160. He seems to be the type of fighter that is tougher than he looks on tape. He is very effective at cutting off the ring n pitching n countering. His punching power just intimidates guys, much like Roys speed used to.

Ward has a good chance of beating him, but Martinez won't. If Chavez who didn't train had him hanging on in their fight, GGG cuts the ring off n stops him. I think GGG stops anyone currently fighting at 160, including Martinez n Quillin

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Since 160 isn't a deep division these days, who does he fight? Does Quillin really have any kind of chance? I don't think so at all, and who knows when Martinez will fight again or if he'd want GGG right away returning from surgery and the layoff.

The best opponent I can think of would be Erislandy Lara if he beats Trout I do think Golovkin would get him out of there and he's the bigger man, but at least he'd be fighting someone with real skills and a game plan. Golovkin hasn't really fought a good mover with a jab or good countering ability, my gut feeling is he's actually pretty well suited to that but at least it's interesting. Nobody is going to trade with GGG and get the better of it around 160, he's a beast.
    I think he should move up. He is going to be avoided by the rest of the class at 160 and I think Martinez is nearing the end game. I wont hold my breath but I'd like to see him and Ward go at it. 3G's incredible offense and punch selection against Wards defense.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After seeing them both in against Rosado, I'm not sure Quillin is ready for GGG yet. Quillin should grant Rosado a rematch and extinguish any doubt there. I bet after Quillin is kept busy with Rosado and Jacobs for the early part of next year. A healthy Martinez might be a problem for GGG because of his speed, but I don't think we'll see a healthy Martinez again. Also, Martinez has been looking for a big PPV fight against a name, like Cotto, so even if Martinez were to get in the ring against GGG, it wouldn't be until after a fight with Cotto.

Hearns won't let Barker go anywhere near GGG (he's practically said as much) and he has a fight with Sturm lined up already. If Sturm beats Barker, I imagine we'll see a rematch. If Barker beats Sturm, I would suspect Hearns would prefer matching Barker up with Murray, assuming Murray gets by Garth Wood in Australia. Geale is a tempting choice, he and Barker was a close fight, but I just don't see him wanting the risk.

Frankly, after his stay-busy fight in Monaco in February, I don't know where he should go.

He's in a conundrum like Floyd really in that there is no one at his weight available and worthy. The jump between 160 and 168 is huge. I might favor Ward and Froch over him due to size. Can he impose his strength on bigger fighters? If Froch gets by Groves, that's a fight I'd fly to Nottingham from the states to see. Holy crap.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I saw last night, GGG is like a bigger version of Tszyu. He's creates a plan sticks to it and uses his power to make you pay for your mistakes. I did notice what seemed to be a lapse in concentration at one point. Stevens landed, and Golovkin stood there. He didnt seem hurt or wobbled. Just disinterested for a second while stevens loaded up 2 or 3 in a row as Golovkin went straight back. It could have been stevens being effective or Golovkin drawing him in to get him of over commit. Either way Stevens is lamenting being born with arms like a T-rex, right now, because his reach killed him last night.

Not to say I'm not sold on GGG, but i think he is what he is at this point and that's pretty good... but I can seem him unraveling a bit, if you can get him flustered. A younger martinez with a lot of good movement, sting, speed in bridging the distance, somewhat unorthodox style and working the angles could have made him uncomfortable. I think sergios legs are weakening and would probably leave him a sitting duck now.

Ward also gives Golovkin problems by swarming him, using his head, spinning and hitting on the break. It will disrupt his rhythm a little. Golovkin seems like too much of a gent for the likes of ward. Unless Ward gets a little crazy and tries to use his "new found power in both hands" and then gets dropped like early in his career.

Froch has some sting and tries to string his punches together but I think Golovkin has a chance to beat him because of styles. (dropping your hands vs a guy who sets up his offense on a jab can stifle your momentum--Golovkin could turn out to be a younger kessler that uses a jab like Taylor did in the early rounds)

Quillen seems like a good kid, but he's rather one dimension. Explosive, but he's a little limited and with his stiff legs can be negated by a jab and countered by a heavy handed counter puncher who would systematically break him down, I think.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about Floyd versus GGG at a catchweight of 157 or so?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keeping Ward, Froch and the rest of the supermiddleweight division out of it. Is there anyone at 154 -160 that can beat GGG?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol

Thread Information