Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Lamont Peterson still IBF champ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Lamont Peterson still IBF champ?

Not that it matters, but just saw on fightnews that there was a purse bid for his next defence. Didn't realize he somehow hung onto the belt in losing to Matthyse, why wasn't it on the line for that fight anyone know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't they fight at 141 so that their belts weren't on the line?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Lamont Peterson still IBF champ?

Oh could be, don't remember that. This was the description on boxrec(which doesn't display fight weights anymore for some reason), sounds like a crock of shit thats why I made the thread.

"Counted as successful title defence by Matthysse by the WBC although the title was not on the line for Peterson, and Matthysse would have been stripped had he lost the fight.
    "

So Matthyse fights another champion at 140, it counts as a defence for him but neither man can win the others belt and Matthyse would've been stripped instead of being in the same position Peterson seems to be having lost. Yaay boxing.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's so pathetic it's brilliant.

The IBF wont allow unification fights with interim titles. So Golden Boy said OK lets make it a 141 catchweight, the winner fights Garcia and the loser keeps his belt. The IBF clearly found it more acceptable to have a losing fighter as champion than let a unification happen. Nuts.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Ibf does not have interim champions. The reason they did it at 141 is so Lucas would not lose his place in line for his shot at the Wbc. If the title was on the line it is Lucas that would have lost his # 1 ranking as Wbc interim champ and his massive payday with Garcia.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why am I still scratching my head, now that you guys have explained it? LOL

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    aids
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Its a tad long winded.

All you need to know is that the end justifies the means with these Orgs. You know situational ethics. That way, less is surprising to you.

The Wbc has an unwritten mandate that they will not accept unification. However there are exceptions to the rule and they are solely based on the whims of the Wbc president. From this fans point of view that's morally reprehensible but from an economic standpoint it makes perfect sense. Problem is, for many fans including myself boxing utopia is an undisputed champion and this guy selectively can’t even manage to accept a 2 belt unification. As I said he breaks his own rule when it could work in his favour and it’s usually based geocentric or nationalistic reasons.

Case one. Prior to Trout/Alvarez Jose went on record saying that the winner would have to toss one of the belts 2 or 3 weeks after the fight. However because Alvarez won that rule was not enforced and he took both tinpots to the Mayweather fight.

Case two. Garcia fought for the vacant title against Morales. He won it and then unified against Khan with not a peep from Jose. Odd I thought because both Garcias parents are Puerto Rican. He won the fight and surprise, surprise is re-matching Morales and again not a peep being spoken by the WBC kingpin. Of course he never said a thing in the Judah fight…., why would he? My dogs could have picked the winner in that one.

Case three. They strip Andre Ward of his 168 title right about the time when it was clear Chavez’s 160 days were pretty much over. They then sanctioned a vacant title match between Sako Bika and Periban who lives down the street from Jose. Not sure if you recall but there was a thread on this specific situation in which a few of us predicted that in short order Chavez would be challenging Bika for the title. Well the corruption I speak about is now more then obvious in this case. Chavez has one fight at 168 against a career middle, cant make weight, they change it to 173, he wins and then finds himself in the #2 spot as recently announced by Jose.

In the case with Lucas and Peterson, it was conveyed to Lucas that if it was a title fight and he won the fight, that he would lose his mandatory spot which would have amounted to a triple unification with Joses gravy train in Garcia. Lucas worked hard for that position by winning the interim title which simply means number one contender. They made it 141 to escape the horseshit even if the fans got jobbed.You see the rules are only applied if his monopoly is threatened or national interests weigh in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They didn't even take his title off him when he tested positive for PEDs and was banned from the sport so why take it off him just because he loses a fight?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Politricks essentially. Peterson is the drunken I forgot her name at 2am but it'll have to do booty call of champions in a weight range filled with many more marketable and appealing contenders and champs. He's just keeping it warm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that it's ridiculous that Peterson still has a belt for more than one reason. He fought Matthyse at a catch-weight, 141!!!, so Matthyse didn't lose the mandatory for Garcia's belt or something, total bullshit. Catch-weights are another trend that is becoming far too prevalent at the mo'..

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan-B-Howell View Post
    I agree that it's ridiculous that Peterson still has a belt for more than one reason. He fought Matthyse at a catch-weight, 141!!!, so Matthyse didn't lose the mandatory for Garcia's belt or something, total bullshit. Catch-weights are another trend that is becoming far too prevalent at the mo'..
    Agree and when a catchweight happens for this reason as a fan you almost feel violated. I've always liked the Peterson brothers but he defines paper champion based solely on the Lucas fight.

As to the steroids well he tested under the allowable limit by the IBF and others for injury rehab and had documentation for the injury and regiment. Not his fault a couple of half wits from his camp neglected to inform those who should have been.

But that's all academic. Like I said he's a paper champ.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd argue that this situation shows why catchweights are necessary. A couple of pathetic alphabet outfits, that choose and influence who becomes their "world" champion, nearly prevented a fight between two genuine world-class fighters because of technicalities in their pathetic rules.

Every hardcore/nerd boxing fan knew Peterson (although a drug cheat) and Matthysse were top of the tree 140 pounders. We didn't need a belt people.

If the best have to fight the best outside the apparent gospel designated weight limit, so be it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another blaring example of how meaningless these alphabet soup belts are.

Yeah, you're world championship has a lot of credibility when your beltholder just got blown out in 3 rounds.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny thing is everybody knows how ridiculous the entire situation is and nobody does anything about it. This was written on the wall when the Wbc was formed after the split from the Wba and then the Ibf, Wbo and about 10 others today. Add to that the division expansion and the watering down becomes a torrential rain fall. Then catchweights start to creep in drenching the plant even further. 17 divisions turns into who knows how many. Not only do they add catch's they allow them in title fights. Look just throw out the weight classes all together.

Thread Information