Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cruiserweight

This division hardly sets the World alight, it can be like light fly weight you no it's there but
    very few can be bothered to watch.!
    Since this weight division was introduced, you can say it never really attracted a big fan base
    there have been many fine Champions, but everyone loves a HW don't they and Cruiser weight
    is like a poor relative.
    I can't recall a mega fight at Cruiser can any of you, no mega pay days strange but a fact, do
    I wait with baited breath, to watch a fight at this weight no not one bit.!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cruiserweight

True.. CW division has always been like a red headed step child .. Nothing really happens here and I was never into it.

THey need to get rid of this division..

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruiser division must stay it was a natural and necessary idea. It is the natural division of such great HW's as Michael Spinks, Evander Holyfield, David Haye and Tomasz Adamek among others.

Why is it bad to have a 175-200lb division? Seems logical to me. In fact I think SMW should be pushed to 185 and Cruiser to 215 these days given the massive increase in fighter size over the last few decades since its inception.

Let's say Gennady Golovkin fills out to a SMW and dominates. His frame is too small and his steroid requirement too large to stack on 40lbs of muscle just to compete with guys who would be on average still 20lbs heavier than him. Luckily when he had done enough at SMW there is always the Cruiser div.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    This division hardly sets the World alight, it can be like light fly weight you no it's there but
    very few can be bothered to watch.!
    Since this weight division was introduced, you can say it never really attracted a big fan base
    there have been many fine Champions, but everyone loves a HW don't they and Cruiser weight
    is like a poor relative.
    I can't recall a mega fight at Cruiser can any of you, no mega pay days strange but a fact, do
    I wait with baited breath, to watch a fight at this weight no not one bit.!!!!!!!!!
    Evander Holyfields unification bouts were considered pretty big. O'Neil Bell and Jean Mormeck got some attention for there bouts. As did David Haye against Enzo Maccarinelli. Other than those nothing else comes to mind

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mainly follow the heavyweight division but I have to admit some of the fighters in cruiserweight are a bit more exciting than modern day heavyweights where 6 "3 is on the small size and holding and grabbing seem to be the norm. I think its natural that cruiseweights move up a division mainly due to them needing the prestige of the heavyweights but unfortunately the division in recent years hasn't been suited to the smaller cruiserweights.
    Excuse my spelling Hidden Content

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another good thing about this division is because the natural players in it are smaller than natural HW's they are much faster, therefore during their time in CW they develop much faster timing and reflexes which when they step up to the big boys at HW, they have this advantage to kind of offset their general size deficit.

Also another thing I have noticed is since at CW all are approx. the same size and weight limited, these guys are always in top lean shape and condition and usually carry that into HW as well where as some of the natural heavies tuck away extra lbs in the form of flab.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No fear Gents, Cleverly is on the way...cough. I really like the division. The land of the lost for would be heavyweights who didn't know when to stop. Its a transition point now. A rusty Motel at the foot of the interstate on ramp. Holyfield-Qawi...Toney-Jirov...Czyz-Daniels Its a good question Dia and something to ponder, lots of wars in the field. Was convinced Big Truck Braithwaite would be someone. Oops. Al Cole v Orlin Norris was a superfight missed.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never understood how people are fans of a division? I used to work in a gaff where I had boxing on all the time and was commonly asked - "is it the heavyweights?"

There are currently more active fighters in the cruiserweight division than in the supermiddle and lightweight ones.

Anyway... what is the point you're trying to make about Cleverly?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    True.. CW division has always been like a red headed step child .. Nothing really happens here and I was never into it.

THey need to get rid of this division..
    What? This is one of the most entertaining divisions. Some absolute wars at this weight. Huck - Afolabi, Lebedev - Jones, Lebedev - Cox, Wlodarczyk - Chakhkiev, Wlodarcyzk - Green, Hernandez - Ross, Hernandez - Cunningham.

I understand that it mightnt be popular in US/Mexico as they dont produce many fighters at this weight but getting rid of this weight class would be a disaster, particularly with the current breed of super heavyweights

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My point being none of us get excited about a Cruiser weight bout do we, not saying they are bad
    fighters because they are not, the division should stay but some of the fights for some titles have
    been rubbish,!!! have they not just interesting on peoples view on the division.!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    My point being none of us get excited about a Cruiser weight bout do we, not saying they are bad
    fighters because they are not, the division should stay but some of the fights for some titles have
    been rubbish,!!! have they not just interesting on peoples view on the division.!!
    I disagree. Again I think its because there are no US/Mexican cruisers to generate interest. Huck and Lebedev are big enough draws in their countries and are certainly fighters get excited about.

Im really looking forward to this Hernandez - Alexseev fight in a couple of weeks. Cleverly might bring a bit of interest to the division from a UK perspective.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Never understood how people are fans of a division? I used to work in a gaff where I had boxing on all the time and was commonly asked - "is it the heavyweights?"

There are currently more active fighters in the cruiserweight division than in the supermiddle and lightweight ones.

Anyway... what is the point you're trying to make about Cleverly?
    None what so ever your picture looks great in the shit house, next to Bernardo's.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with man above... How ridiculous would it be for a fighter moving up to go from fighting guys limited to 175lbs suddenly up to 240lbs!

I think it's the nationality thing also!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cleverly at Cruiser weight I don't really NO,!!!!!! theses guys are small HW really so will he have
    punch resistance, he could get sparked dangerous times ahead me thinks.

jon09 Guest

Toney vs Jirov was pretty entertaining and so was Tarver vs Green. Huck is pretty entertaining to watch as well. I would figure this division would be on fire considering that the heavies are ruled by the bigger Klitschko's.

Thread Information