Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why does an American title not matter like the uk rainbow belt or Euro belt?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why does an American title not matter like the uk rainbow belt or Euro belt?

Why isn't there a big belt for the Americas USA, Canada, South America, central Amerca

I always see Uk fans hyped for there title fights like price defending his belt vs wilder would be a big deal

Imagine wilder vs Jennings or Arreola for the American title it makes the fights seem bigger a fight like Judah and Paulie could be for the American title.

Why can't we be hyped about some American champs say pascal vs bute is a domestic title match

How would u like too see a American title and who would be the hw cw and we champs remember up comers gate keepers on the bubble guys would fight for this title NBC fights would seem like the home for this.

A guy like chisora winning the euro title if he fights price for the uk title it would be huge over there we need that here.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why does an American title not matter like the uk rainbow belt or Euro belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingedwards View Post
    Why isn't there a big belt for the Americas USA, Canada, South America, central Amerca

I always see Uk fans hyped for there title fights like price defending his belt vs wilder would be a big deal

Imagine wilder vs Jennings or Arreola for the American title it makes the fights seem bigger a fight like Judah and Paulie could be for the American title.

Why can't we be hyped about some American champs say pascal vs bute is a domestic title match

How would u like too see a American title and who would be the hw cw and we champs remember up comers gate keepers on the bubble guys would fight for this title NBC fights would seem like the home for this.

A guy like chisora winning the euro title if he fights price for the uk title it would be huge over there we need that here.

I hear you @Kingedwards. It seems like boxing slowly erodes on this continent not including Mexico.
    Perhaps there are to many other options available. Not enough poverty or something. The "rainbow" belt you refer to is I assume the Lonsdale belt. That is the father of all other spinoffs.

The NBA followed suit in the USA early in the 20th century and later turned into what we know today as the WBA. The WBC was formed shortly thereafter over a split in that management. For the USA you guys have the Nabf, Nabc, Nabu, Naba,Usba, etc etc. The WBC alone has city titles, provincial titles, state titles, regional titles, continental titles etc etc etc. On a global level I should add. The WBC even has regional silver titles lol

If you tally up all the titles in each weight class across the planet you come up with a figure over 350. I shit you not. Now if you multiply that times 17 divisions and you have over 6,000 titles. And Orgs like the Wbc continue to invent new ones. Part of this there are no losers society. Everybody gets a ribbon and a trophy just for showing up. The culmination of all of this tin circulating around is a sport that has been completely watered down. Adding to this voyage through mediocrity is the fact that all of the big broadcasters concentrate there efforts on about ten fighters.

Hope I didn't sound to cynical.

Welcome aboard btw.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why does an American title not matter like the uk rainbow belt or Euro belt?

Just a point, I think you are referring to the Commonwealth belt rather than the British title (The Lonsdale belt) when you say the rainbow belt. The Commonwealth title is much less valued than the British title.
    The British title does have value, but many fights for it pass by without much coverage outside the boxing hardcore. Only when it's two of the bigger domestic names does it get some wider exposure.

Here is Billy Joe Saunders with the Lonsdale belt and the Commonwealth belt.

billyjoe.jpg

Argh I can't add pictures properly now.
    Last edited by ryanman; 12-04-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have a lot of minor title belts here in the US, but because this is the World's stage, for the most part this gets glossed over. Until very recently most of the big title fights happened here. This has a few effects such as diminishing the local scene as well as diminishing the national identity.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

Because Americans expect to be WORLD champions....being the United States champion is like winning the NIT in NCAA basketball, who cares if you're not THE champ you're not A champ

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Because Americans expect to be WORLD champions....being the United States champion is like winning the NIT in NCAA basketball, who cares if you're not THE champ you're not A champ
    I hear the 'World' series of rounders is quite popular?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I hear the 'World' series of rounders is quite popular?
    You mean what my Boston Red Sox just won with players from Japan, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Venezuela, as well as the United States?

Listen everyone everywhere is invited to play baseball but to put it in soccer terms the MLB is like La Liga/Premier League/Budesliga all rolled into one and the next best leagues in Japan, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Cuba are like the Hyundai A-League in Australia.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's been the World Series since back when you didn't even allow black Americans to play.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    It's been the World Series since back when you didn't even allow black Americans to play.
    Black baseball players had their own league and the guys playing in the MLB were still the "Best Baseball Players in the World" sooooo your point is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really? Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Jackie Robinson weren't among those "best baseball players in the world?" Before the color barrier was broken I think it's common knowledge that some of those "best" were not even in the Majors. Pretty sure that's his point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear y'all Idk I look at the UK fight scene I get jealous.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    Really? Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Jackie Robinson weren't among those "best baseball players in the world?" Before the color barrier was broken I think it's common knowledge that some of those "best" were not even in the Majors. Pretty sure that's his point.
    It's parsing a statement to the point of being ridiculous. Americans are THE BEST at baseball. The last time baseball was an Olympic sport who won gold? USA. They have the WBC but that's not a competition that's respected all that much. ALSO my point was the World Series winners of recent history have players from all nations playing for them much like the Premier League in soccer and the MLB is THE BEST baseball league in the world hands down....you don't see players from the MLB jumping ship to play in Japan for better pay and better teams, they play in Japan when they can no longer hack it in the MLB.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    It's parsing a statement to the point of being ridiculous. Americans are THE BEST at baseball. The last time baseball was an Olympic sport who won gold? USA. They have the WBC but that's not a competition that's respected all that much. ALSO my point was the World Series winners of recent history have players from all nations playing for them much like the Premier League in soccer and the MLB is THE BEST baseball league in the world hands down....you don't see players from the MLB jumping ship to play in Japan for better pay and better teams, they play in Japan when they can no longer hack it in the MLB.

You were doing fine until then. Not "respected all that much"? Says who?
    No offense, Lyle. But Americans have a habit of losing interest in sports they don't completely dominate.
    The WBC has only been in existence a few years, and should've been in existence long ago.
    But it's quickly gaining worldwide acclaim, and has the international flavor the World Cup does.

It's ok to be proud of your baseball. But the Caribbean more than holds its own when it comes to great players (P.R., D.R. Cuba, Venezuela).

Thread Information