Default Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter

Who would you pick and why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman by stoppage but not without having to walk through some heavy barrages by Porter. That's just my take and I wouldn't be shocked by an exact reversal. I do think Thurman has a slight edge though. I don't memorize vitals but wouldn't Thurman have a nice reach adv? I'll have to look that up but at first glance that's my choice.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First, I'm saddened this fight hasn't happened already. It made perfect sense instead of a Paulie fight.

Second, I'd pick Thurman on size, power and ability to adjust. But I lose confidence in that every time Porter gets in the ring. Kid keeps getting better.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter

Sensible answers. I agree with you guys. As of right now, I'm going to have to lean towards Thurman because he's shown me more but its pretty much an even bout imo.

I need to see more of Porter before I judge him cuz as I stated in another thread, I don't consider Paulie as a real test due to his zero firepower.

I still haven't forgot about how my boy Julio Diaz schooled him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's great is we have seen improvement on both. Thurman showed ring maturity pacing with Soto Karass. Porter is finding that balance of heavy front and riding the hard jab in..he cannot smother. Right now, I'd actually pick Porter. The fact he came down from high 160's and stocky jab would suit him well and I think negate overall 'size'. The temptation and pattern of Thurman coming with uppercuts would be massive, but equally open him up. Absolutely outstanding match!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's too early to have these guys fight each other.

This has the makings of a superfight after Floyd retires.

Then the winner will attempt to call Floyd out of retirement for an even bigger superfight.

I can see this forthcoming.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post

Then the winner will attempt to call Floyd out of retirement for an even bigger superfight.

Lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. These two guy haven't done anything remotely close to great to indicate that they can make a " superfight ".

Calm down..

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It could indeed be too early. If one or both plateaus then it will be an opportunity lost but as long as they improve then there is no rush. I have tended to think of it as winner enters the big stage but maybe neither is yet proven enough to propel the other.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But its also 'early' enough to where its a win win for both. I think we need more of the young guns facing off and thinning out the herd. It may very well be up to them as most of the "established stars" show such hesitation. I'd be equally excited to see this as I would Manny v Mayweather at this stage, if not more If one has bumps next out, take an upset etc we can kiss it goodbye with the division jumping trend, promotion sheltering and spoon feeding. Strike when the iron is HOT!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a treat for sure. You have to figure it won't happen next unless it could co main a huge PPV or something, because it's guaranteed to be awesome, no idea who I'd favour. Both coming into their prime, really talented, dynamic and powerful offensive fighters. Both have shown some really good improvements skill wise over the last couple of years. Thurman did get caught cold some against Soto Karass, but I haven't seen Porters fights against Julio Diaz, which maybe show some weaknesses there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    But its also 'early' enough to where its a win win for both. I think we need more of the young guns facing off and thinning out the herd. It may very well be up to them as most of the "established stars" show such hesitation. I'd be equally excited to see this as I would Manny v Mayweather at this stage, if not more If one has bumps next out, take an upset etc we can kiss it goodbye with the division jumping trend, promotion sheltering and spoon feeding. Strike when the iron is HOT!
    I understand that reasoning. Kinda like Mayweather/Manfredy in '98.

I just believe that they have the opportunity to build these guys up for a short while and let them create their own islands. After Floyd is gone, there's gonna be a huge void to fill. The 147lb 'ers are not as dominantly deep as people think either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think porter would win by KO

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I understand that reasoning. Kinda like Mayweather/Manfredy in '98.

I just believe that they have the opportunity to build these guys up for a short while and let them create their own islands. After Floyd is gone, there's gonna be a huge void to fill. The 147lb 'ers are not as dominantly deep as people think either.
    That's solid yeh. The last thing a network-promotion(s) want to do is cancel out one of its up & coming earners. Porter is established at least in rankings with scalps, Thurman becoming known. As a duo Mayweather and Manfredy were a fat notch above but why wait a guy out in hopes of filling his void when he is still there should you earn attention. Same thing is happening with the heavyweights. Ideally stop waiting for the top dog to die off and begin to sort it out yourselves, though we all know they will build and build and build and etc.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thurman has shown that he has problems with good movement which porter has. he has also shown me that he has heart and can adjust. i think that porter would win some early rounds but that thurman would take it in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shawn Porter for me he beat Alexander and Paulie.

Thread Information