5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who could beat Roy Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Wanted to bring up this topic again and still say that Spinks would knock out Jones. The more i look into his fights the more i think Spinks is the greatest lhw of all time. His time in the lhw division was considered on of the best of all time and he crushed everyone and was never beat at the weight.
    Rocky Marciano would PIERCE mike spinks
    Rocky would not even land a shot on Spinks and the fight would look like guy who simply could not get clean shot on the other. Rocky looked good against guys who were in there late 30's not young and peak champs Spinks gave Holmes all he could handle which no thought would happen.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Andre Ward would beat Roy, but only if Roy would fight him. Roy looks like an ATG vs the no hopers he fought for the majority of his career. He had the talent to beat anyone, but never proved himself by taking on the biggest challenges. Roy has about the weakest resume of guys he is often compared to. It's great that u studied boxing when u were 8 and all, but to say that beating guys like Glenn Kelly and Tony Thornton prove Roy would Dominate Spinks, Foster, Moore, Conn...etc., is laughable. Roy was a phenom, no doubt. Every truly great fighter came back after a loss, however, and proved their greatness. Roy never did. First good shot he took ruined him. He is basically a larger version of Donald Curry who had the luxury of fighting weak opposition while maintaining his HBO contract.
    Totally disagree that Ward would beat him.
    Agree with everything else.
    RJJ imo the is the greatest talent that didnt test himself. That's the reason he never had large gates to PPV numbers.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy had the natural gifts and unorthodox style to trouble and beat anyone in history. That being said, he feasted on weak competition after James Toney, and that made him seem much more invincible than he truly was. Ezzard Charles knocked out a young, prime Archie Moore. He was boxing Marciano silly both times, prior to wearing down. It's funny to me that people come on here and actually ask the question "could anyone ever have beaten Roy in his prime?" It's asinine and shows a lack of knowledge of the sport.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy had the natural gifts and unorthodox style to trouble and beat anyone in history. That being said, he feasted on weak competition after James Toney, and that made him seem much more invincible than he truly was. Ezzard Charles knocked out a young, prime Archie Moore. He was boxing Marciano silly both times, prior to wearing down. It's funny to me that people come on here and actually ask the question "could anyone ever have beaten Roy in his prime?" It's asinine and shows a lack of knowledge of the sport.
    Good post. He should have tried to make a fight with Britons Fab 4 during his 160-168 run. They also share the blame. All parties seemed satisfied with dominating their portion but not the whole pie. He should have made the Dariusz fight.

You post made me think. I was scoffed at for mentioning Burley and the man beat Charles twice at 160. I forgot about a couple of his stable mates in Holman Williams and Jack Chase.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Good post. He should have tried to make a fight with Britons Fab 4 during his 160-168 run. They also share the blame. All parties seemed satisfied with dominating their portion but not the whole pie. He should have made the Dariusz fight.

You post made me think. I was scoffed at for mentioning Burley and the man beat Charles twice at 160. I forgot about a couple of his stable mates in Holman Williams and Jack Chase.
    Kinda of bummer he never got to fight the russain either at light heavyweight which was not all his fault either just sucks. His best wins are Hop, Tony, Hill and Taver his resume could of looked so much better then it was but that what happens in boxing a lot of time now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great light heavyweights like Foster, Ezzard and Spinks would beat Roy Jones but no one under super middleweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Great light heavyweights like Foster, Ezzard and Spinks would beat Roy Jones but no one under super middleweight.
    Yea i can not really think of anyone that could beat him Monzon get shock by shot he did not see, Hagler had trouble with Leonard movement also Jones is bigger and hits harder. The size of the other heavyweights who also had huge reach and speed them selfs plus great timing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey master besides 175 because you and me both feel there are guys that can beat him at the weight what fighter below 175 do you think has the best chance. Out of all the fighters i would most likely favor Jones but who is the guy that would have best percentage to take it maybe.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Hey master besides 175 because you and me both feel there are guys that can beat him at the weight what fighter below 175 do you think has the best chance. Out of all the fighters i would most likely favor Jones but who is the guy that would have best percentage to take it maybe.
    Joe Calzaghe who handled Roy with ease when they fought way past their best. There were glimpses of what Joe could have done to give prime Jones problems. Joe could adjust to fights as he did with Kessler, had experience to handle the hype of Roy like he did with Lacy, Joe had an engine and punch rate like no other, southpaw nightmare for Roy. I would say 30% chance of winning.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

That's what has always bugged me about his run after Toney. Honestly he was the hbo poster boy and feasted on a handful of guys shoveled into the 168 #1 spot. Then goes up in weight..a catchweight..to short circuit a worn Sosa. Impressive demolitions yeh, but just keeping a trinket but not facing best a division had to offer. Pazienza was like tossing Ikea furniture into a wood chipper and everyone knew it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pazienza would have beaten Gerald McClellan, Joe Calzahge and Ezzard Charles on the same night! Ya'll musta forgot.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones was a phenomenal, freakish fighter. I think we all agree that he would give anyone problems.

His reflexes were uncanny, and that's what won him his fights. His chin was only average and he had glaring faults in his technique ..... but he got away with it because of his athleticism and reflexes. Once they started to go, he became very mortal.

People do think that the history of boxing begins and ends with the period they watched when they were young.

There have been some truly great light heavies, many of whom would probably start as a favourite against Roy. When you are talking about elite fighters, it often becomes a matter of stylistic match ups ..... ie who had the style to trouble Jones the most?

For my money, Matthew Saad Muhammad had the wrong style for Roy. He would have refused to be discouraged, he would walk through walls and he had superb stamina and heart.

Ezzard Charles was supremely accomplished, tough and adaptive. He could fight and he could box, and he cold do both at once.

Bob Foster was a other freak of nature, with numbing power. That great equaliser would make him competitive and dangerous to any light heavy who ever lived.

A young Archie Moore knew more about fighting than Roy would ever do. A consummate pro and technician, intelligent enough to vary his gameplan during a round.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know this will cause waves/drama, but I honestly feel like the Hop of 2001-2004 had a great shot of beating Roy. Not saying it was guaranteed mind you, just saying Hop was at his best during this period, and had morphed his style to deal specifically with Roy's advantages in athleticism and size. Since Roy was so fast and powerful, a Hop win would've required an unaesthetic style/quality, and not played well with the fans, however (much like the rematch when both were well past their primes).

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Is there anyone from 160-175 who could beat a prime Jones?
    He was great great boxer but his chin did not match his other qualities. He relied on freakish speed and reflexes but as he moved up and down in weight and got older the speed lessened and he had to rely on a chin that he did not have.

So I think had he had fought a Gerald McClellan a Nigel Benn or a Julian Jackson they may well have knocked him out cold

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Is there anyone from 160-175 who could beat a prime Jones?
    He was great great boxer but his chin did not match his other qualities. He relied on freakish speed and reflexes but as he moved up and down in weight and got older the speed lessened and he had to rely on a chin that he did not have.

So I think had he had fought a Gerald McClellan a Nigel Benn or a Julian Jackson they may well have knocked him out cold
    As much as I like Nigel Benn, and Benn certainly used to apply ridiculous amounts of pressure, at that time, I would see RJJ being way too elusive and skilful and giving a bit of a masterclass frustrating Benn .
    Like has been said before, there are a few that could beat RJJ, but whether they would is another story.
    Maybe at LHW, but Roy was a MW & SMW in his prime imo.

Thread Information