Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default May 10, 1971 ~ Boxing Triple Bill Extravaganza

Monday ~ May 10, 1971

George Foreman vs. Gregorio Peralta ........ Oakland Coliseum ~ Oakland, California

Ernie Terrell vs. Luis Pires ........................ International Amphitheatre ~ Chicago, Illinois

Jimmy Ellis vs. George Chuvalo ................ Toronto Maple Leaf Garden ~ Toronto, Canada

Boxing Triple Bill Extravaganza on Closed Circuit.

What was at stake. The fighter who was the most impressive, was supposed to get
    World Heavyweight Champion - Joe Frazier next

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: May 10, 1971 ~ Boxing Triple Bill Extravaganza

Indeed, welcome to the insanity of the 21st century, Bill. I know you won't believe it, but all these fighters are now retired! Shocker, eh?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Extravaganza Promoters

KO Inc. {New York, New York}

The opening bout > {9:15 PM at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois}

Ernie Terrell {USA} vs. Luis Pires {Brazil}

Ernie Terrell {Chicago, Illinois}
    Age........... 32 years, 1 month
    Height ...... 6' 6"
    Reach........ 82"
    Weight...... 219 lbs.
    Record...... 42-7-0 {19 KO's}
    Rank......... #8

'Big' Ernie Terrell was coming back. Ernie said he was now stronger at {219 lbs.}, and had developed a better right-hand
    to go along with his 'telephone-pole' length left jab.

Ernie Terrell >
    "I'm back. This will be my 4th-Bout since coming back. I'm out to impress, and then get a chance at 'Little Joe' later this year.
    This guy {Luis Pires} better look out for my right-hand, because now it is a weapon instead of a shield."

"I came back because the Heavyweight Division is a mess. I had been out of the Ring for 26-Months, and then I came back
    in December 1970. I saw who was fighting out there, and I had to laugh at the lack of talent in the division. Who would ever
    think that Little Joe Frazier would still be Champion after 3 years."

Ernie was guaranteed a Fight Purse of $12,000.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luis Faustino Pires {Sao Paulo, Brazil}
    Age............ 32 years, 8 months
    Height........ 6' 2"
    Reach......... 77"
    Weight....... 215 lbs.
    Record....... 18-6-1 {11 KO's}
    Rank.......... #14

Luis Pires was a strong South American fighter, who in September 1970 was a legitimate Challenger {#10 WBA-ranked}
    for the World Heavyweight Championship. Luis was mentioned as a possible opponent for Joe Frazier after scoring '5' upsets
    in a row.

Manager - Abraham Katzenelson >

"Luis is one of the toughest guys around. Nobody in America wants to fight him. He hasn't had a bout in 5 1/2 months."

"They say that he's been stopped '5' times. Well, Luis has never been floored. All '5' of his stoppage losses were by cuts
    not Knockouts. Luis can hang in there with the best Heavyweights out there today, and he can withstand anybody's punch.
    He's lost only '1-Bout' in his last 9 fights, and that was to Oscar Bonavena in Argentina. After he beats Terrell, he'll be right
    back in position."

Luis Pires is to receive a Fight Purse of $3500.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Indeed, welcome to the insanity of the 21st century, Bill. I know you won't believe it, but all these fighters are now retired! Shocker, eh?
    You need to learn R E S P E C T !

Boxing Today............. S U C K S !

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ernie Terrell vs Luis Pires

International Amphitheatre ~ Chicago, Illinois

Attendance...... { 630 }
    Gate Receipts....{ $4100 }

Pre-Fight Skinny

Ernie Terrell was listed as a {4-1} Betting-Favorite over the tough 'Brazilian Brawler' Luis Pires. It was expected that
    Ernie would use his 'telephone-pole' left-jab to pile up the points, and to drop in long range right-hands from the
    outside during the middle-Rounds.

Luis Pires only chance to win, would be to smother Ernie and work his body with hooks and inside brawling during
    the middle-Rounds, and to try and wear him down so Luis could out-muscle the tall bean-pole later in the bout.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fight Overview

Big Ernie let his long left-jab do the talking during the 1st-Round. Ernie utilized his 4" Height and 5" Reach advantage
    to perfection, as he kept Luis on the outside and at the end of his left-hand.

In Round 2, Ernie landed a 'pile-driver' right-hand to Luis face that nearly closed his left-eye. Ernie added in continuous
    left-jabs to Luis' face as he kept him outside.

Ernie stepped it up in Round 3, and continued with 'rapid' left-hands as he was setting up Luis for a long right-hand lead.
    Then at the {2:00 Mark} Ernie unloaded with a jarring right-hand lead on Luis' head. Luis was stunned and Ernie unloaded
    several more hard right-hands. Luis was in trouble late, as Ernie slammed away. Ernie tried to put Luis away, but came
    just up short.

The tough 32 year-old Brazilian showed that he was game, and could take a punch.

Ernie went back to his long left-hand in Round 4, and speared Luis with continuous jabs to the face, as he piled up the
    points. Luis was unable to close the distance, as Ernie was firing hard left-hands to stave off Luis' forward attacks.

A game Luis came out charging in Round 5, and scored with a few decent body punches as he got in close and forced
    Ernie backwards and into the Ropes. While there, Luis slammed in several good body blows to the ribs.

Luis kept the pressure up in Round 6, and again worked in close and scored with heavy hooks to Ernie's body. When
    they fought inside and tight, it was Luis who got the better of the exchanges. Luis was able to open up a slight
    cut over Ernie's right-eye when he landed a whipping left-hook while inside.

In Round 7, Ernie went back to left-hands from the outside, and he scored with continuous left-jabs as Luis was unable
    to get back inside. Ernie stayed steady with the left-jab, and had Luis a little groggy late in the Round.

In Round 8, both fighters exchanged in close-quarters at Center-Ring during the first-half of the Round. Luis was a bit
    stronger on the inside, where he did his best work. In the second-half of the Round, Ernie moved outside and was better, as
    he let his left-jab do the talking.

In Round 9, Ernie stayed back outside, and scored with several jarring right-hands early. Ernie then slammed Luis with
    a hard right-hand to the mouth which drew blood. Ernie had Luis 'wobbly' during the middle of the session, but he could
    not drop his 'groggy' opponent. Luis slowly got back into the Round at the {2:20 Mark}, and made an aggressive attack
    over the last 30-Seconds as Ernie looked arm-weary at the Rounds end.

In Round 10, with the bout 'well-in-hand', Ernie resorted to 'jabbing-and-grabbing' as Luis tried to slam in a KO Punch.
    Luis tried but could not get in an effective blow, as Ernie grabbed him and tied him up each time that he got in close.
    Ernie scored with some solid pole-poking left-jabs over the second-half of the Round as Luis tired down the stretch.

Scorecards
    * 48-43
    * 50-44
    * 48-43

The Associated Press scored it 48-42 for Ernie Terrell.

After Bout Comments >

Ernie Terrell>
    "I won big. I hurt him badly in Round 3, and he knew that I knew it. But Luis is durable and strong, and he held on.
    You can see why nobody wants to fight him."

"Some of the Boxing Press will still say that I was not impressive. That's OK, I know that I'm not 'dashing'. I just
    have to keep winning, and hopefully I will get a Title Bout by the end of this Year. Though I'd like it sooner than later."

"I used this bout as a Pre-Fight Tune-up for Floyd Patterson and Jerry Quarry. I want both of them, before I take
    on Joe Frazier."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-24-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jimmy Ellis vs. George Chuvalo

Maple Leaf Gardens ~ Toronto, Canada

Jimmy Ellis
    Age......... 31 years, 2 months
    Height..... 6' 1 1/2"
    Reach...... 76"
    Weight..... 191 lbs.
    Record...... 29-6-0 {14 KO's}
    Rank........ #3

George Chuvalo
    Age......... 33 years, 8 months
    Height..... 6' 0"
    Reach...... 75"
    Weight.... 218 lbs.
    Record..... 63-16-2 {55 KO's}
    Rank........ #7

In the 2nd-Bout of the Triple Bill.

Former WBA Champion - Jimmy Eliis was listed as a {5-3} Betting Favorite over the Canadian Toughman George Chuvalo.

But, George would have the advantage in fighting in front of his Canadian hometown fans, and with a 'nothing-to-lose'
    game plan.

Jimmy was in a 'must-win' situation, as a loss or bad performance would knock him off a second chance with Champion
    Joe Frazier for later in 1971. Jimmy was coming off an 'impressive' {KO 10} over #10 WBA-ranked 'Irish' Tony Doyle
    only 2-months earlier {March 2, 1971}.

Angelo Dundee {Jimmy Ellis' Manager} >
    "The Boxing Press are still saying that Jimmy showed a 'glass jaw' when he fought Joe Frazier. That's crazy talk, as Joe
    landed some of the most vicious left-hooks that no man on earth could have taken without going down. If anything,
    Jimmy took a lot of those left-hooks without going down. Jimmy's mistake was in trading with Joe, and not boxing him."

"You'll see a sleek {191 lbs.} and 'smart man' boxing when Jimmy fights Chuvalo. Left jabs, counters, quick right-hand
    leads, and fast combinations will be on the Menu. There will be no slugging here, as we're using speed and footwork."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Chuvalo has not fought in 5-Months {since December 11, 1970}. George is coming in a bit 'bulky' at
    218 lbs.

George won '4-Straight' bouts in the second-half of 1970, after getting 'demolished' {L TKO 3} by George Foreman
    on August 4, 1970 at Madison Square Garden. A win here, and George is right back in the Heavywieght picture.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both fighters are to receive a Fight Purse of $15,000.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Attendance { 6000 }

The Fight

Jimmy Ellis wasted little time in going to the left-jab, as he boxed and moved smoothly to thwart off any
    aggressive attack from George.

Jimmy scored at will in Round 1, and gave George a sound boxing lesson by clubbing him continuously with
    right-hand hooks to the face, as well as opening a slight cut over George's right-eye.

In Round 2, Jimmy opened up with several combinations, and dropped in several more right-hand leads to
    the head which rocked George. Jimmy landed some sharp left-hands, and opened up a cut over George's
    left-eye.

In Rounds 3 and 4, Jimmy continued with his barrage, and easily scored on the slow-plodding style of George.
    Jimmy opened up a cut over George's left-eye, and had him bleeding over both eyes in Round 4, as he
    continued to score easily.

George tried to bull his way inside during the first-half of Round 5, and was able to neutralize Jimmy's fast hands
    with short power punches to the body. But again, Jimmy landed some crisp punches on the forward pressing plodder,
    and scored well over the second-half of the session, including opening another cut over George's left-eye.
    Now George had '4' bleeding cuts.

In Rounds 6 and 7, Jimmy continued with fast left-jabs and right-hooks into George's face. George tried to make a
    go of it during the second-half of each Round, but he was to slow to counter and was out-sped by Jimmy's hand-speed.
    Jimmy opened up a '3rd-Cut' over George's left-eye as he built up an insurmountable points lead.

Jimmy slowed some in Round 8, and he fell back off his guard. George then made a strong attack, during the second-half
    of the session. George landed his best punches of the fight, as he rocked Jimmy badly with several good hooks to the
    chin late in the Round.

In Round 9, Jimmy got off to a good start, but he started to show wear from George's aggressive body-attack at the {1:00 Mark}.
    George started to land some good body-punches, and brought his attack upstairs to take the fight to Jimmy. George again
    rocked Jimmy badly with good hooks to the head. Jimmy started to fade late as he took some rough punishment

In Round 10, George bulled his way inside, and worked hard on Jimmy's body. Jimmy dropped his hands to protect his ribs,
    and George brought his punches upstairs and dished out some heavy punishment as Jimmy was wearing down. Jimmy then
    went to dishing out left-jabs while moving away to keep George from getting too close.

But, it was too little and too late for George.

Scorecards
    * 48-46 {Jimmy Ellis}
    * 49-43 {Jimmy Ellis}
    * 48-44 {Jimmy Ellis}
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-24-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

Attendance { 6000 }

The Fight

Jimmy Ellis wasted little time in going to the left-jab, as he boxed and moved smoothly to thwart off any
    aggressive attack from George.

Jimmy scored at will in Round 1, and gave George a sound boxing lesson by clubbing him continuously with
    right-hand hooks to the face, as well as opening a slight cut over George's right-eye.

In Round 2, Jimmy opened up with several combinations, and dropped in several more right-hand leads to
    the head which rocked George, and had him bleeding.

In Rounds 3 and 4, Jimmy continued with his barrage, and easily scored on the slow-plodding style of George.
    Jimmy opened up a cut over George's left-eye, and had him bleeding over both eyes in Round 4, as he
    continued to score easily.

George tried to bull his way inside during the first-half of Round 5, and was able to neutralize Jimmy's fast hands
    with short power punches to the body. But again, Jimmy landed some crisp punches on the forward pressing plodder,
    and scored well over the second-half of the session, including opening another cut over George's left-eye.

In Rounds 6 and 7, Jimmy continued with fast left-jabs and right-hooks into George's face. George tried to make a
    go of it during the second-half of each Round, but he was to slow to counter and was out-sped by Jimmy's hand-speed.
    Jimmy opened up a '3rd-Cut' over George's left-eye as he built up an insurmountable points lead.

Jimmy slowed some in Round 8, and he fell back off his guard. George then made a strong attack, during the second-half
    of the session. George landed his best punches of the fight, as he rocked Jimmy with several good left-hooks to the chin late
    in the Round.

In Round 9, Jimmy got off to a good start, but started to show wear from George's aggressive body-attack at the {1:00 Mark}.
    George started to land some good body-punches, and brought his attack upstairs over the last 30-Seconds to take the Round
    as Jimmy started to fade.

In Round 10, George bulled his way inside, and worked hard on Jimmy's body. Jimmy dropped his hands to protect his ribs,
    and George brought his punches upstairs and dished out some punishment as Jimmy was wearing down.

But, it was too little and too late for George.

Scorecards
    * 48-46 {Jimmy Ellis}
    * 49-43 {Jimmy Ellis}
    * 48-44 {Jimmy Ellis}
    thats 2, where is the Foreman fight? YOu said it was a triple header.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman vs. Gregorio Peralta

Coliseum Arena ~ Oakland, California

George Foreman
    Age......... 22 years, 4 months
    Height...... 6' 3 1/2"
    Reach....... 78 1/2"
    Weight...... 216 1/2 lbs.
    Record....... 27-0-0 {24 KO's}
    Rank.......... #1

Gregorio Peralta
    Age.......... 36 years, 0 months
    Height...... 6' 1"
    Reach....... 77"
    Weight...... 195 1/2 lbs.
    Record....... 82-6-8 {44 KO's}
    Rank.......... #10

This bout was scheduled for 15-Rounds, and was for the Pan American Heavyweight Championship.

This would be a rematch of the 'controversial bout' that these two had back on February 16, 1970 in Madison Square Garden,
    on the undercard of the Joe Frazier - Jimmy Ellis Heavyweight Championship bout.

Fight Purse >
    * George Foreman....... $20,000
    * Gregorio Peralta........ $10,000

George Foreman >
    "I know that Gregorio cannot knock me out. I was completely exhausted in our last fight, and he could not dent me.
    This time I'm better conditioned, and I expect to wear him down, and stop him."

Gregorio Peralta >
    "I'll fight him just like last time. But this time the bout is scheduled for 15-Rounds. I'll let him punch himself out,
    and then I'll come on in Round 9. George will never make 15-Rounds, and he knows it."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-24-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman vs. Gregorio Peralta 'II'

Coliseum Arena ~ Oakland, California

Attendance { 6000 }
    Gate Receipts {$51,000 }

Fight Overview

George came out 'steady-and-strong' and took it right to Gregorio. George scored with heavy-blows as Gregorio was
    content to wait and play defense.

George easily won Rounds 1 and 2 with his aggressive attack.

George stayed aggressive in Round 3, and cut Gregorio over his left-eye with a hard 'left-right' combination. George
    landed some heavy-punches into Gregorio who was not offering up much.

In Rounds 4, 5 and 6 > George stayed with an aggressive but controlled attack as he was breaking Gregorio down with
    heavy punches. Gregorio could only add in a single-punch counter on occasion, as he was man-handled by George who
    was +21 lbs. heavier.

In Round 7, George slammed in several hard blows early. Gregorio who was desperate to get things going, attempted to
    take the lead and went aggressive. But George landed a thunderous counter left-hook to Gregorio's head that had him
    reeling backwards. Gregorio was staggered, but tried to fight back. Again George connected with '2' big counter left-hooks
    and Gregorio staggered into the Ropes.

George let go with a few more solid combinations late in the Round, but Gregorio was able to ride it out, and make it
    through the Round on 'shaky pins'.

In Rounds 8 and 9, George continued to hammer away with wide heavy-blows, as Gregorio reeled. But the wily-veteran
    hung tough and would not fall despite being wobbled several times from solid blows to the head.

In Round 10, George set a steady-pace, and moved in with hard power punches as Gregorio was nearly spent. At the
    {2:20 Mark}, George landed a hard left-hand and solid right-hook to Gregorio's head that had him staggering. Referee
    Elmer Costa moved in and gave a 'badly shaken' Gregorio a standing '8-Count'.

The action continued, and George landed '3' straight right-hands into Gregorio's face that had his nose bleeding badly.
    Gregorio was then driven into the Ropes, and George unloaded with '6' good 2-Punch combinations. Referee - Elmer Costa
    jumped in and stopped the one-sided slaughter at 2:52 of Round 10.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Thread Information