Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to "chamber" the long range rear hook?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to "chamber" the long range rear hook?

Not a go to shot I know but worth knowing every punch imo. Pacman uses it, Earnie shavers uses it. (with a slip but not turning it into an overhand)

So if you were orthodox it would be a right hook. Thing is a right hook how they are meant to be thrown is real simple you merely torque the hips raise your elbow and slightly adjust the arm for range.

But at long range this doesn't work because you have to adjust the arm real far and the arm doesnt get to travel a huge loop and build up a ton of speed and power.

The only way I know how to throw this shot for max power is to drop my rear hand to my waist before I throw it, then you can start a big loop from behind you and get some serious power.

Do you HAVE to drop the hand to get that big loop on this punch? Or can it be done straight from the guard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go watch the video in that thread just posted recently asking about the lead uppercut. The way the Russians throw it is the best version I know of, unless you're hitting the body too. Cubans throw it the same way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to "chamber" the long range rear hook?

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Go watch the video in that thread just posted recently asking about the lead uppercut. The way the Russians throw it is the best version I know of, unless you're hitting the body too. Cubans throw it the same way.
    Got it so best to drop the hand let it fly back as your hips rotate then come all the way around with your elbow behind it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
    Got it so best to drop the hand let it fly back as your hips rotate then come all the way around with your elbow behind it.
    Done with the feet like scrap the hips are 6%.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5y_JqAq3w

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BCBUD View Post
    Done with the feet like scrap the hips are 6%.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5y_JqAq3w
    At no point in that video does he address a long range rear hook, and honestly man I have no idea what were trying to write. That's not in any way a sentence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I wrote that post I was tired what I meant to say was that power comes from your feet and smaller joints. Only a small percentage of power comes from the hips the problem is when you torque your hips violently you lose balance. Thats called reaching into the punch try it and see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still the clip at 0:41 in no way does Mike Tyson torque the hips violently as he says his power comes from leverage and bending the knees. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jn1RZuKmDE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still the clip at 0:41 in no way does Mike Tyson torque the hips violently as he says his power comes from leverage and bending the knees. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jn1RZuKmDE
    What you have to understand in all of this, is the role of the Tensor fascia lata . and how it incorporates, the whole posterior chain for drive, with heel up knee bent.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    What you have to understand in all of this, is the role of the Tensor fascia lata . and how it incorporates, the whole posterior chain for drive, with heel up knee bent.
    What is the role of the shoulders?

Thread Information