Melson to Speak at United States Military Academy!

For Immediate Release

New York, NY (October 26, 2014) – Junior middleweight boxer, West Point grad and charitable figure Captain Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson has been invited to speak at a leadership development series at the United States Military Academy at West Point Monday, October 27.

For the leadership development, Melson will host a one hour interactive discussion with a group of approximately 40 high ranking cadets that excel academically and have peer leadership positions.

Melson graduated from the USMA at West Point in 2003 with a degree in psychology and put on a pair of boxing gloves for the first time as a plebe (freshman) for a required course. After joining West Point’s boxing team and excelling in the squared circle on an international level, he was selected as an alternate for the 2008 United States Olympic Boxing Team, but withdrew due to an injury. During his senior year at West Point he met Christan Zaccagnino, who became paralyzed from the waist down after a diving accident when she was 10. The two quickly became close and Melson’s ultimate goal in life is to see her walk again.

With Zaccagnino as his inspiration, Melson turned pro in 2010 and has donated 100% of his fight purses to Teamfighttowalk.com and Justadollarplease.org to help find a cure for Chronic Spinal Cord Injuries. To further assist with fundraising efforts, Melson and Zaccagnino hosted the “Fighting for the Cure” gala the last two years, raising a significant amount of money in the process.

“This will be one of the greatest and most proud moments of my entire life,” said Nelson, who has been featured along with Zaccagnino on HBO Real Sports, ESPN.com, Yahoo and Sports Illustrated. “I’m an extremely proud West Pointer and my boxing trunks have “West Point 03” on them for a reason. It’s an incredible honor that they thought of me for this event because there are so many West Point graduates worthy of the opportunity.”

For more information on Team Fight to Walk or to donate, go to Teamfighttowalk.com