Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the most talented boxer to never achieve anything and fade away into obscurity

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is the most talented boxer to never achieve anything and fade away into obscu

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Always think of careers clipped early with these, like a Jemal Hinton world ranked but literally just turned his back on Manny Steward and...poof Never achieve is pretty deep as many grabbed trinkets or had shots they just fell short, or didn't develop enough-well.
    Apparently he is a trainer now and training still. But, he doesn't fight because, apparently, he follows a strict form of islam that doesn't condone harming someone else. Perhaps those guys in ISIS or Al-Queda should follow that brand of islam too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQWmryTniY

Se video: [video youtub.e;KVQWmryTniY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQWmryTniY[/video]

See his gym in Kansas City: http://ringsidefitnessclub.com/our-t...s/jmal-hinton/
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 11-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is the most talented boxer to never achieve anything and fade away into obscu

Andre Ward
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Andre Ward
    Harsh, but it's looking more and more like it's going to be accurate. The guy should have really already moved up and been right in the 175 mix imo, he is such a good fighter and is pissing it away.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah a lot of guys have been named who I wouldn't exactly say they never achieved anything.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never achieve anything in Boxing, like a Championship

* Domingo Ayala
    * Hector Carrasquilla

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Joe Mesi?
    Could be at least two causes here.

Sam Langford. He achieved a lot for those times but was simply not allowed to challenge. Like a great artist, never really appreciated until after he was gone.
    Charlie Burley. Ditto
    His crew, the entire Murderers row. Ditto. It took his mate Archie Moore 160 fights to get a title shot.

With those guys, they were not in charge of there own destiny because of the colour barrier and even after it was relaxed they never got their just rewards.

Jimmy Young. Fought in the best hev era in hev boxing. Would over achieve in one fight and then underachieve in the next. I think he beat Ali and we all know what he did to Foreman.

Zab Judah
    Juan Guzman
    James Toney

Separate category for these 3. Self discipline was vacant. They prevented themselves. Nobody else.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just now learning about Charlie Burley- only one piece of clip on him, but he seemed sound- SRR claimed he was too pretty to fight him? Wow.

Great call on who named Francesco Bojado. I can't figure out...what happened?
    It seemed GBP gave him a solid fighter with limited punching power in Steve Forbes as a final shot- and Forbes I remember that fight...brought his azz to the table. Panchito didn't look bad at all in that fight, rather Forbes delivered a spectacular showing. Humble kid, sound skills; was the matchmaking to tough to early? I dunno, but I thought he was the real-deal.

Jorge Linares may not be an A rated fighter, but I feel on a grade level he is about a B+ or A-.
    He was boxing Demarco sound, real clinic, then Demarco's corner does a Dundee ala Ray Leonard vs Hearns and told him- "this is where we separate the boys from the men...ya blowin' it kid"
    Damn Demarco brought out a trunk of funk...Real desparate comeback and busted up Linares outta nowhere.

Carlos Quintana- Joel Julio should have never fought this unknown, and when he did, I remember the commentators stating they were fighting in 90 plus degree condition and Quintana's footwork was tremendous, his stamina; on full. Defense, solid. He moved, pivoted, shoulder roll, this guy was showing all the goods & respectable punching power started backing Julio up. I (KNEW) Quintana was gonna be a major force.

Then Cotto busted him up in four rounds: Not so much that Quintana is chinny, but rather his skin isn't durable, he simply busts up easy.

He gave a great- performance against Paul in their first fight, but it was all downhill for Quintana after that.

There is a bad- I mean bad kid from Arizona. Mexican But I can't think of his name. Roach got him for a minute, then he hurt himself and he has been on the shelf. Tall, thin..he should have been a marquee name by now...I am kicking myself that I cant think of his name. He is still undefeated, but he is doing an Andre Ward: he is a ghost. He is likely to fade away if he doesnt do something real soon.

Can anyone help me on this one? Mexican. Fights out of Arizona, About a lightweight. Punching power in BOTH hands. But is on the shelf for the past two years.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scratch the last one, there is hope for him. I called him a top prospect in 2012 and he only fought once in 2013. But per boxrec he has been active in 2014 Jose Benavidez.

4 years: only 21 fights welter being brought along too slow IMO- unless he is injruy prone-set to face Muarico Herrera.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I'm just now learning about Charlie Burley- only one piece of clip on him, but he seemed sound- SRR claimed he was too pretty to fight him? Wow.

It seemed GBP gave him a solid fighter with limited punching power in Steve Forbes as a final shot- and Forbes I remember that fight...brought his azz to the table. Panchito didn't look bad at all in that fight, rather Forbes delivered a spectacular showing. Humble kid, sound skills; was the matchmaking to tough to early? I dunno, but I thought he was the real-deal.

Jorge Linares may not be an A rated fighter, but I feel on a grade level he is about a B+ or A-.
    He was boxing Demarco sound, real clinic, then Demarco's corner does a Dundee ala Ray Leonard vs Hearns and told him- "this is where we separate the boys from the men...ya blowin' it kid"
    Damn Demarco brought out a trunk of funk...Real desparate comeback and busted up Linares outta nowhere.

Carlos Quintana- Joel Julio should have never fought this unknown, and when he did, I remember the commentators stating they were fighting in 90 plus degree condition and Quintana's footwork was tremendous, his stamina; on full. Defense, solid. He moved, pivoted, shoulder roll, this guy was showing all the goods & respectable punching power started backing Julio up. I (KNEW) Quintana was gonna be a major force.

Then Cotto busted him up in four rounds: Not so much that Quintana is chinny, but rather his skin isn't durable, he simply busts up easy.

He gave a great- performance against Paul in their first fight, but it was all downhill for Quintana after that.

There is a bad- I mean bad kid from Arizona. Mexican But I can't think of his name. Roach got him for a minute, then he hurt himself and he has been on the shelf. Tall, thin..he should have been a marquee name by now...I am kicking myself that I cant think of his name. He is still undefeated, but he is doing an Andre Ward: he is a ghost. He is likely to fade away if he doesnt do something real soon.

Can anyone help me on this one? Mexican. Fights out of Arizona, About a lightweight. Punching power in BOTH hands. But is on the shelf for the past two years.
    José Benavidez. He has hand problems, just like Prince Naseem- the power he generates is just too great for his brittle hands.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UK wise I would suggest Errol Christie, showing my age a bit.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Good one, did he beat or fight Leonard? He certainly got compared to him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

José Benavidez. He has hand problems, just like Prince Naseem- the power he generates is just too great for his brittle hands.
    Damn shame, but appreciate the update...

El Kabong Guest

Leon Taylor, THAT's who I was thinking of!!!

Jason Keidel: Brooklyn's Taylor may be greatest fighter never known - Boxing - SI.com

Apparently Taylor gave Michael Spinks absolute nightmares in sparring
    Last edited by El Kabong; 11-03-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Good one, did he beat or fight Leonard? He certainly got compared to him.
    Very stylish and impressive, lost to Mark Kaylor and Michael Watson (amongst others) he was a real up and coming prospect, and all of a sudden became easy to hit, just lost it, shame. Hope he's doing allright now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Ayala

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information