Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hopkins vs Kovalev - who wins?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins vs Kovalev - who wins?

Kovalev is anything but one dimensional, Hopkins is going to be in a world of trouble when he realises that after the first round. After the second or third time on the canvas the old man is not going to risk getting up and being knocked out cold by somebody he has so roundly dismissed. It's a pity I will be watching the recording on Sunday morning, because it would have made the beer taste that much sweeter.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted Hopkins win, though a DQ lurks in my mind...

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is an outside shot I think that KOV could be a little star struck by both those in the audience, the event itself and the man he's fighting.Combined with his aggressive nature something could take place early in the fight that disrupts the rest of it in favour of Hop. I think its pasture time for the old warhorse but anything is possible.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want Hopkins stretched by Kovalev. I just see Kovalev a little linear at this point and the jousting kovalev does is going to set him up for Hopkins counters. Hopkins will posture and try to give Kovalev looks at something hes hasn't encountered before and try to get Kovalev to hesitate. Kovalev can probably laugh off whatever hopkins lands, but that doesn't mean it wont score. Kovalev has to remain focused and keep the attack going while trying not to stand right in front of hopkins for too long and soak up counters like a sponge.

Hopkins hoping that if it comes down to a split, the selling of the historical bs around his age and accomplishments etc will earn him and edge. I hope he thinks this will be another pavlik fight and he has it on lock. As Kovi's the oddsmakers favorite, theres money to be made at the betting houses though..
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    There is an outside shot I think that KOV could be a little star struck by both those in the audience, the event itself and the man he's fighting.Combined with his aggressive nature something could take place early in the fight that disrupts the rest of it in favour of Hop. I think its pasture time for the old warhorse but anything is possible.
    Also its not been mentioned much at all, but fact is Kovalev was dropped in his last fight. Its more the 'how'..timed off the ropes with a right -while- he was having his foot stepped on. I'd put money on Hopkins watching that ten times. I think this one all boils down to the mentality of Kovalev. I can see star struck more than being psyched out by Hopkins. Half the time I don't know if Kov 'gets' the joke or run on sentences of Hopkins. He gets that literal look of not speaking the language. I cannot remember a big fight recently that I've been so roller coaster, back & forth on

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Also its not been mentioned much at all, but fact is Kovalev was dropped in his last fight. Its more the 'how'..timed off the ropes with a right -while- he was having his foot stepped on. I'd put money on Hopkins watching that ten times. I think this one all boils down to the mentality of Kovalev. I can see star struck more than being psyched out by Hopkins. Half the time I don't know if Kov 'gets' the joke or run on sentences of Hopkins. He gets that literal look of not speaking the language. I cannot remember a big fight recently that I've been so roller coaster, back & forth on
    Pick Hopkins my friend and bask in his victory afterwards. And I agree that it is tough to read Kovalev, he is very aloof.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the two that said Kovalev on points. I would've made a bundle on this one.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair play to Kovalev. What a tough tough SOB Hopkins is.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sucks being wrong, especially when it's one of your favorite fighters who loses. Hats off to Kov for the win, he is better than I thought and the real deal. Hats off to Hop for taking the fight. I hope he retires at this point and let's the younger guys do their thing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The funny thing is I still believe Hopkins can beat top LHWs - maybe even Stevenson.

Styles make fights, Kovalev fought the perfect fight to beat Hopkins. I don't know if Stevenson can do the same thing or if his style matches as well with Hopkins.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    One of the two that said Kovalev on points. I would've made a bundle on this one.

Yeah I was the other who predicted Kovalev on points but didn't put any money on it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I picked Kovalev by KO but Bernard really impressed me with his chin, you don't see him get hit often but he got tagged with quality shots from the biggest puncher in the division and kept going.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Sucks being wrong, especially when it's one of your favorite fighters who loses. Hats off to Kov for the win, he is better than I thought and the real deal. Hats off to Hop for taking the fight. I hope he retires at this point and let's the younger guys do their thing.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Thread Information