Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Switching Stance

I've always thought this is for undisciplined boxer/fighters or showing off. It is a cardinal sin IMO. You can get away with doing it against lesser fighter but you are putting yourself in danger and it is only a matter of time a quality opponent proves this to you.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Switching Stance

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    I've always thought this is for undisciplined boxer/fighters or showing off. It is a cardinal sin IMO. You can get away with doing it against lesser fighter but you are putting yourself in danger and it is only a matter of time a quality opponent proves this to you.
    Orthodox to southpaw? yes, it is pretty advanced. However, guys like Hagler!, Pirog, Hamed and some other english boxers prove it is possible and can be effective

Meanwhile, many fighters use mutliple stances: orthodox, crunch, peekaboo in the same fight. Watch Tyson for instance.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If a fighter hurts his hand/ shoulder sometimes he will try it

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    Orthodox to southpaw? yes, it is pretty advanced. However, guys like Hagler!, Pirog, Hamed and some other english boxers prove it is possible and can be effective

Meanwhile, many fighters use mutliple stances: orthodox, crunch, peekaboo in the same fight. Watch Tyson for instance.
    pirog? seriously?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

pirog? seriously?
    Jacob KO?
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant remember the last fighter I saw use it as an actual working technique against over commitment,maybe Roy but he went more squarish to lure them in nail them on the move and swoop out the opposite way.
    Nazes leg flexibility and strength allowed him to stay close and use it for leverage too.

The rest of the time its annoying to watch and mostly done at a safe distance then re-engaging. Cant believe they dont get caught out more right on the change when doing it for no reason. (specially switching back and forwards ). I bet no one is taught how to read it coming or how to deal with it mid stride when they are open and not set in a stance.

Dropping coiling then launching at them with the rear hand into a flying hook into the side they are turning to will catch their feet parallel to the direction of your force,thats just one way for distance. Or to react up close like following a dance partner in, but cracking them with your lead mid their step.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford seemed comfortable changing up but he was able to keep Beltran at a distance it gave him a lot of latitude. Shiming does it every other punch but as soon as he faces a worthy opponent I think that will change.
    Last edited by walrus; 12-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford is probably the best at doing it at the moment. If a guy hasn't learned to switch and is in the middle of a fight then it'd be bad for him to try it but if he's learned to do it and can do it effectively ( Crawford) then why not. He was losing against Gamboa too before he switch and started dropping him.
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: Switching Stance

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

pirog? seriously?
    Jacob KO?
    I know but this is supposed to be fighters being able to do it on an elite level. Pirogs claim to fame was beating Jacobs and that's all.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Odd that the converted southpaws never switched back in their fights save Cotto who looked lost when he did. Cooney never did, Basilio, Oscar, Tyson etc.

Even Winky who was a converted right hander never went orthodox in his fights. Its a real smart move for those that have worked on it for certain styles. It was a perfect game plan for both Fury and Crawford given the two rinse and repeat one handed fighters they were about to have a go with and judging by what I saw, both Beltran and Chisora looked like deer in the headlights for the duration.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Odd that the converted southpaws never switched back in their fights save Cotto who looked lost when he did. Cooney never did, Basilio, Oscar, Tyson etc.

Even Winky who was a converted right hander never went orthodox in his fights. Its a real smart move for those that have worked on it for certain styles. It was a perfect game plan for both Fury and Crawford given the two rinse and repeat one handed fighters they were about to have a go with and judging by what I saw, both Beltran and Chisora looked like deer in the headlights for the duration.
    Beltran looked like a shitty fighter which he is not. I was actually cringing for the guy. I wanted him to win.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Beltran looked like a shitty fighter which he is not. I was actually cringing for the guy. I wanted him to win.

In fairness though it was not just the switch that made him look like his feet were nailed to the floor. Incredible hand speed and punch selection by Crawford and backed up by great movement and anticipation. Beltran met the perfect storm.

On a side note its interesting that he's the 135 WBO champ who is moving to 140 and that they just stripped Chris of his 140 for fighting for their 147 against Manny who is now rumoured to be going to 140. Nah they would never match Manny and Crawford would they?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are wrong, Crawford does it flawlessly. It's a great advantage, to switch up gives your opponent another thing to think about, especially if you are really effective in either stance. Another tool in a fighters toolbox.
    Great hand and foot speed, decent power, excellent boxing, and the ability to switch stance is a dynamite combination. In my opinion, of course!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    You are wrong, Crawford does it flawlessly. It's a great advantage, to switch up gives your opponent another thing to think about, especially if you are really effective in either stance. Another tool in a fighters toolbox.
    Great hand and foot speed, decent power, excellent boxing, and the ability to switch stance is a dynamite combination. In my opinion, of course!
    Your opinion doesn't make anybody wrong.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quality fighters will get anyone anytime even if they are switch hitting.

Did hagler ever fight a whole bout in an orthodox stance?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information