Thread: 10-9 round with a knockdown?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 10-9 round with a knockdown?

In amateur at least the judges can over rule what the ref says. The thing is, the judges are sat around the ring and may have a better perspective of whatever happened than the ref.

Even in football/soccer the ref will look to the linesman before he makes a call (I think, im not a football fan.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

isn't it a 10pt must system so you have to score it 10-10 if both got knocked down?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In theory the judges make their call on who won the round based on the ten point must system, then remove points for knockdowns, fouls etc.

Real world, you get dropped, you're dropping the round 10 - 8. You'd have to be really going some to overturn that and I cant think of an example of when that's happened, although that's more to do with my shit memory than it not actually happening.

No the judges shouldn't be calling knockdowns that the referee doesn't rule. The pricks have enough trouble scoring as it is, lets not give them any more latitude to fuck it up.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If my memory is correct, when matthew Hilton fought Fermin Chirino he was very clearly winning the first round and was dropped at the bell. I think the round ended up being 10-10 on the card of at least one judge. Also, the first Holyfield/Moorer fight. In the 2nd round- I think- Moorer was very clearly winning the round and was dropped. I believe two judges scored that round 10-9 Holyfield and that ended up impacting the outcome of the fight.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

More Holyfield fights:

Holyfield beating up Cooper when he was knocked down and gets back up and smashes him around again would be 10-10.

Holyfield v Bowe 1 when Evander got knocked down and came back strong at the end of the fight should have been 10-9 to Bowe.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    If my memory is correct, when matthew Hilton fought Fermin Chirino he was very clearly winning the first round and was dropped at the bell. I think the round ended up being 10-10 on the card of at least one judge. Also, the first Holyfield/Moorer fight. In the 2nd round- I think- Moorer was very clearly winning the round and was dropped. I believe two judges scored that round 10-9 Holyfield and that ended up impacting the outcome of the fight.
    That was Roth and it was difference between a draw or Moorer win. It's my pet peeve.. if you go down you are automatic 8 and THEN you decide 8 or 9 depending on earlier control or recovery etc. That point goes to Holyfield making it 10-9.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a perfect world judges would be able to overrule a ref for me, as clear knockdowns sometimes are missed just as slips or pushes are sometimes called knockdowns. I agree that it shouldn't be encouraged and would get way out of hand, after all the Ref is the guy in the ring and as long as he's doing his job there is nobody in a better position to make those calls.

You can't have a 9-9 round by way of the 10 point must system as far as I know. It's a tough call if you have a guy dominate a round and then go down on a balance shot without getting hurt, say. Is that 10-9 or 10-10? I imagine this happens about as often as a 10-8 round is awarded without a knockdown occurring, which is also well within the rules but rare to see scored.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    In a perfect world judges would be able to overrule a ref for me, as clear knockdowns sometimes are missed just as slips or pushes are sometimes called knockdowns. I agree that it shouldn't be encouraged and would get way out of hand, after all the Ref is the guy in the ring and as long as he's doing his job there is nobody in a better position to make those calls.

You can't have a 9-9 round by way of the 10 point must system as far as I know. It's a tough call if you have a guy dominate a round and then go down on a balance shot without getting hurt, say. Is that 10-9 or 10-10? I imagine this happens about as often as a 10-8 round is awarded without a knockdown occurring, which is also well within the rules but rare to see scored.
    You can have a 9-9 round. I've seen it happen when Fighter A wins the round 10-9 but has a point deducted for a foul. I've seen 9-8 rounds, where Fighter A wins the round, scores a knockdown, but loses a point for a foul.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

You can have a 9-9 round. I've seen it happen when Fighter A wins the round 10-9 but has a point deducted for a foul. I've seen 9-8 rounds, where Fighter A wins the round, scores a knockdown, but loses a point for a foul.
    Hmm ok. I've seen that I think on say Teddy Atlas' cards, but the way judges score, aren't any points deducted taken off a total at the end? Otherwise a round where both guys score a knockdown say, would often be 9-9 or 9-8 even? Could be wrong, or maybe the ten point must system hasn't always been used everywhere..

Thread Information