Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacquiao vs Algieri only 300,000 PPV Buys!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao vs Algieri only 300,000 PPV Buys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Looking past that unreasonable comparison
    I don't think it's unreasonable, they are the two biggest fighters in the sports, of course who can draw more money is important. Who draws the most money is important in any business.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    (That is all.)
    Whoever edited this story put a dollar sign in front of the number of PPV sales. Or the journalist did and the editor didn't spot it. They're saying the fight did 700 - 900 000 buys.

Arum, 82, predicts at least $900,000 PPV sales for the fight.
    “The fight is receiving full publicity now. And if you ask me if I’m confident that this fight will bring in a respectable pay-per-view numbers, yes of course,” Arum told The Manila Times on Tuesday in a phone interview. “We’re expecting around $700,000 up to more than $900,000 sales.”

So not bad sales.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the sources and articles I've seen say it did 300-400k buys.

If Pac did 900 buys with Algieri he truly is the greatest draw in boxing history.

Arum is known to pump up his numbers too, so I'm thinking it's closer to 300k than 400k.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully this will spell the end of PPV and more free mainstream boxing back on the tv.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Hopefully this will spell the end of PPV and more free mainstream boxing back on the tv.
    Yeah here's hoping. I think PPV is dying a slow death anyway with the internet. The UFC PPV buy rate was down big time this year (although a lot of that was big name fighters dropping out of fights due to injury). The WWE pro wrestling PPVs went down the tubes and now instead they have their own network where you pay $10 bucks a month and you get to watch all the PPVs and get all their content on demand.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Looking past that unreasonable comparison
    I don't think it's unreasonable, they are the two biggest fighters in the sports, of course who can draw more money is important. Who draws the most money is important in any business.
    Of course. But Pac has never drawn the numbers Floyd has drawn so why say it over and over again? Floyd has the 2 biggest PPVs ever to his credit. When Pac gets the 3rd highest, or 4th or 5th or... Then there is a reason to discuss it. Until then Floyd is the current PPV King and Pac is his own star in his own right. Arum is still asking 55/45, the math doesn't work so there's no point in putting the names together.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Pac did 900 buys with Algieri he truly is the greatest draw in boxing history.

Arum is known to pump up his numbers too, so I'm thinking it's closer to 300k than 400k.
    It's not an official number yet. The true numbers haven't been released, and if we don't hear different it probably will be 300,000 or there shouts. The same guy who released these numbers which he said aren't official went into a schpeil shouts Floyd's number patterns.

Screw it, Floyd should do it for 55% I know he probably won't but he should. I think the different light Floyd would be put in for making the fight is worth not being able to be a full fleet of Ferraris.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reading it again it's a prediction Arum made a month before the fight happened.

I think HBO have stopped releasing PPV numbers as well so we'll probably never know the real number. Highly unlikely Manny against a nonentity fighting in Macau does anywhere near Floyd numbers though.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said from the beginning that this was not a PPV worthy fight. The card sucked and the main event was never in doubt. Floyd vs Maidana wasn't PPV worthy either, as Maidana hasn't ever beaten an elite fighter. Definitely proves Floyd's drawing power but highlights how bad the fans get ripped off. Hagler vs Hearns was on HBO. Boxing has hit its tipping point with the fans and after Floyd n Manny retire I expect promoters to scale PPVs back. Holyfield vs Tyson was like $40 or something, n that was a mega fight. Pac vs Algieri n Floyd vs Maidana for almost double that?!? Criminal.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course. But Pac has never drawn the numbers Floyd has drawn so why say it over and over again? Floyd has the 2 biggest PPVs ever to his credit. When Pac gets the 3rd highest, or 4th or 5th or... Then there is a reason to discuss it. Until then Floyd is the current PPV King and Pac is his own star in his own right. Arum is still asking 55/45, the math doesn't work so there's no point in putting the names together.

Back in the day (when the fight was first being negotiated), there was a serious debate as to which guy was the bigger draw. I remember a lot of people totally dismissing Floyd's drawing power and saying that he needed an opponent with a big following (DLH, Hatton) to draw any money and nobody cared about Mayweather otherwise, but people would pay to see an explosive dynamo like Pac no matter who he was fighting.

Thread Information