Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

People can rate or disregard Roy as much as they like because in most ways I can see their point of view however, I am in no doubt whatsoever that there is no one (bar none) in history that can use their bodies quite like Roy could.

That combination of balance, speed and power - with his typical form, as consistent as it was over 12 whole rounds; was quite a thing to behold.

I mean, if he wasn't the most athletic (fighter ever), he was certainly the most balletic, that's for sure!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

None of the poll options are correct.

The law of entropy determines that there will always be a recurrence of a similar or better fighter than has already been.

That aside, Roy Jones's style is based around split second timing, lightening speed and outstanding reflexes.

These qualities will of course manifest themselves again and again as they are staples of boxing. An amazing natural talent simply need to meet early, sustained, quality training.

Already, David Haye is basically a longer/heftier version of Jones!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And of course Jones was special, such a combination represents probably the sharpest of all boxing skills combined, in my opinion.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DynoMight View Post
    Roy was a near perfect ATHLETE, not a perfect fighter.

Big, big difference, as evidenced when he slowed.

Love Roy, but by no means was he the ultimate boxer.
    Very true, fast flexible and totally relaxed made for no need to let his hands go they are out there already and some wild strides and risks others wouldnt get away with.
    Great fun to see, we were privileged.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Pffft.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

None of the poll options are correct.

The law of entropy determines that there will always be a recurrence of a similar or better fighter than has already been.

That aside, Roy Jones's style is based around split second timing, lightening speed and outstanding reflexes.

These qualities will of course manifest themselves again and again as they are staples of boxing. An amazing natural talent simply need to meet early, sustained, quality training.

Roy Jones' ability to mobilise and stabilise his body with far greater exertion and control than any, is what makes him uniquely special.

David Haye is relatively clumsy in that regard. Poor comparison.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post

Roy Jones' ability to mobilise and stabilise his body with far greater exertion and control than any, is what makes him uniquely special.

David Haye is relatively clumsy in that regard. Poor comparison.
    Max Power mussa forgot... SMH
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Pffft.
    Max oh Max.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They stole his gold medal in South Korea, let's look back at his whole career
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There has been no one like and and there will never be anyone like him. Roy is unique.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see someone do a film study of Roy Jones, showing his boxing skills, for those of us who think he just had athleticism and reflexes.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    IMO there willl always be great fghters every so often, but it wil be unique to their own heavan-given talents.

There will only be one Ray Robinson.
    One Joe Louis
    One Rocky Marciano
    One Cassius Clay
    One Pernell Whittaker
    One Julio Cesar Chavez
    One Roy Jones Jr .
    & Yes, one Floyd Mayweather who has won 18 years, without a loss added to his record, never dropped to a knee or on his back, just a standing 8 from a glove scraping the canvas.

Even though RJJ has several high profile names he didnt fight, & was dropped by Honey Boy Devalle in his prime, there hasnt been a reflex master with twitch muscle movement like his IMO, 4 left hooks in a row!!! Freak like talents.

No there will never be anothr RJJ, but there will be other greats to come!
    I can throw 4 left hooks in a row, always have been able to do that, since I was 12 or 13, and I'm 50 now.
    When did you do this in a championship fight? I could probably throw 214 in a row, but until one does it in a championship fight, then it appears you have miscontrued my point, no major...
    I once saw Schoolboy Ramirez- he was 66-10 at the time- throw more than 40 left hand punches in a row in a fight at the Forum.
    That said, when you talk about RJJ, you don't pick the right things to be impressed by ..

So will you pick the right right things and I will take it from there--as below you state he had tremendous gifts, but I fail to see you name them... or who he used it against and how it went down, so please break it down!

(4 hooks in a row is easy) but you don't see how he cheated himself.
    If not on this thread there have been many posts where I stated he relied on talent, so by the time his reflexes faded he had no skills that could've allowed him to survive as long as an Archie Moore or a Bhop.

He had tremendous natural gifts and the chances of those being replicated by somebody that chooses to exercise them in the same way are slim.

Sounds similar to what I said above....there hasnt been a reflex master with twitch muscle movement like his IMO...

Those gifts led him to ignore the basics, after a point because there is no denying that his father schooled him well, and that cost him later.

As to if he was the 'greatest', no, no way.
    Tell that to the other posters here who said that, I don't see me makin the claim he was the greatest, if so , highlight it and I will acknowledge it

Ezzard Charles fought from 160 to HW and he'd beat Jones all the way, so would guys like Conn, or Burley or Moore, and others. It is just silly- just makes me laugh- the 'he was the fastest ever' nonsense.
    I mentioned his talents as a reflex master, not sure why you are adressing me with comments that it is silly and makes you laugh that he was the...fastest ever. If I said that please highlight it, bold it underline it..

Have you seen everybody else?
    Yes I have, in fact I named several at the top of my post and stated each one has unique talents, in fact several posters {liked it}

There were no fast guys before?
    Sure there were and will always be. Ray Robinson for one, Ray Leonard another, Pac & PBF just to name a few. Once again, I dont recall stating RJJ's greatest talents was that he was the fastest ever.

Heavens...And, you know, smart guys neutralize your gifts. RJJ was so concerned with his gifts that he never learned that, and he fought mostly dumb guys and old guys.
    Now it sounds like you are belittling RJJ, first you stated his pop schooled him, now you stated Roy never learned...certain things like smart guys who neutralize your gifts, then after that you stated he fought dumb guys, sorry sir, I'm confused about these statements.

I have thought for years now that Toney thought Jones would be easy, and he was struggling with weight and didn't worry enough. Then he got in the ring, knowing he could do 12 rounds in his sleep,and thinking that Jones (chin in the air hands at his hips) would be easy. But the speed suprised him and he wasn't mentally prepared to work.

A few sentences before you seem to question RJJ'speed, but here you praise it...

At that, while RJJ clearly won the fight, he didn't beat up Toney; the KD was more a shoulder block than a punch. I just wish Toney would have taken the fight seriously- he didn't even run into the ring- or that RJJ would have fought him at 175 or 190. Then I wouldn't have had to hear this Jones is God nonsense for all these years.
    Well I for one...truly feel I hold RJJ in the proper light, which is why I stated that while there will never be another RJJ, there will also never be another (please see first paragraph-as I never claimed RJJ was better than JCC, to PBF fighters before there era, let alone fighters after ther eras.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why did Roy fade when his speed and reflexes slowed? Was it because he didn't have the fundamentals to fall back on?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Why did Roy fade when his speed and reflexes slowed? Was it because he didn't have the fundamentals to fall back on?
    Great question.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Of course, he was never a tight in balance fighter he went in and thought he could do what he always did which was move when striking and choose angles at will. He couldnt do that as well later carrying weight and less so the older and less fit he got. Where as if he went back to basics he would of had survival skills that would of kept him out of trouble so he could choose when and where to go loopy and all out on someone.

Still loved his style though. Like Naz they were like shooting stars. Nice to behold,erratic,flamboyant , all or nothing, burn out faster. Then theres other stars.

I can explain it.

Thread Information