Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will there ever be another Roy Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Why did Roy fade when his speed and reflexes slowed? Was it because he didn't have the fundamentals to fall back on?
    Of course, he was never a tight in balance fighter he went in and thought he could do what he always did which was move when striking and choose angles at will. He couldnt do that as well later carrying weight and less so the older and less fit he got. Where as if he went back to basics he would of had survival skills that would of kept him out of trouble so he could choose when and where to go loopy and all out on someone.

Still loved his style though. Like Naz they were like shooting stars. Nice to behold,erratic,flamboyant , all or nothing, burn out faster. Then theres other stars.
    Great points.
    Question do you remember when RJJ was accussed of taking roids? androstenedione, is contained in GNC's Ripped Fuel. I think he tested positive once.
    I wonder, because RJJ only had one stoppage of note IMO afterwards- Harding, after that maybe two stoppages in ten years?

I believe in the common saying (the last thing to leave is one's power) his physique softened and he doesnt eat bad food, doesnt do drugs or alcohol. So he lost his muscle mass, physique and his youth succumbed to father time leaving RJJ with...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you think would have happened if Roy learned the fundamentals? Would he have had more success after the Ruiz fight?

I mean, Ali was able to adapt when his speed faded. Floyd adjusted his style when he moved up to the higher weights.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What do you think would have happened if Roy learned the fundamentals? Would he have had more success after the Ruiz fight?
    Point noted. Above I questioned how his body deteriorated post use of Ripped Fuel, but my badd you just made me remember he went in thick as a CW fighting a HW. Could it have really just been the drastic weight loss to move back down to fight Tarver that hurt him more than anything?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naw, Appearently Jr. didn't turn out the same as Sr. Jr. kids are going into hip hop no Jr. III's for the ring.

Roy Jones Jr.'s boys keep it real on the farm - ESPN

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like how people bring up the fact that he got whipped when he got older as some kind of proof that he had no skills and was all athletics.

Have you people seen SRR past 35? Pernell Whitaker? Ray Leonard?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I like how people bring up the fact that he got whipped when he got older as some kind of proof that he had no skills and was all athletics.

Have you people seen SRR past 35? Pernell Whitaker? Ray Leonard?
    Think you are taking it to the extreme, no one is saying NO skills.

I think he had outrageous skills. Ones others could'nt deal with, but they were limited and tied to his fitness and reflexes that is all.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he had outrageous skills. Ones others could'nt deal with, but they were limited and tied to his fitness and reflexes that is all.
    I get what people are saying, Roy got used to being the fastest, smartest guy in the ring and the style that he developed depended on him being the athletic marvel he was. I just get irked when people insinuate that he never had the skills to begin with, or that he was technically flawed and just used his athleticism to carry him.

Guys who try to get by on their athletics get exposed quick on the world stage, we all know that. They don't win gold medals and go 15 years as an undefeated p4p great. Not saying that's what you're saying, but I see a lot of people saying that kind of shit. And you know what?? THEY MUSTA FORGOT

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

I get what people are saying, Roy got used to being the fastest, smartest guy in the ring and the style that he developed depended on him being the athletic marvel he was. I just get irked when people insinuate that he never had the skills to begin with, or that he was technically flawed and just used his athleticism to carry him.

Guys who try to get by on their athletics get exposed quick on the world stage, we all know that. They don't win gold medals and go 15 years as an undefeated p4p great. Not saying that's what you're saying, but I see a lot of people saying that kind of shit. And you know what?? THEY MUSTA FORGOT
    Yeah for sure , I think what Greynotsoold and others agree on is that technically the style wouldnt hold up on its own.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah for sure , I think what Greynotsoold and others agree on is that technically the style wouldnt hold up on its own.
    I can dig that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Through much of the 90’s and early 2000’s, he dismantled opponents so thoroughly that it was hard to find even a single round to score against him. He was that good.”–Jerry Steinberg

“…in the ring, [a prime] Roy Jones is a unique talent who deserves comparison with boxing’s immortals”— Thomas Hauser (SecondsOut)

After being robbed of a Gold medal in plain sight at the 1986 Olympics in Seoul, South Korea, Jones turned professional and went on to win an astonishing number of world titles in the middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and even heavyweight divisions. Jones left his indelible mark on history when on March 1, 2003 he easily won the WBA Heavyweight title against John Ruiz becoming the first former middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title in 106 years. He was named “Fighter of the Decade” for the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America and received additional awards too numerous to cite here.

Suffice it to say that over the years, he has won:
    Fourteen major World Titles:
    Six minor World Titles:
    Six regional/International Titles:

A seldom acknowledged fact is that he has fought an opponent who has been a world champion at one time or another on 27 different occasions. And ten of his top- tier foes– like Calzaghe, Montell Griffin, Anthony Hanshaw, and Julio Cesar Gonzalez– came in undefeated. Mike MaCallum, Tito Trinidad, Virgil Hill, and Calzaghe are in the IBHOF. James Toney and Bernard Hopkins will get in. Vinny Pazienza, Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson might get in. Roy fought them all. In short, Combining lightning fast hand speed, incredible reflexes, and knockout power, Jones was the best boxer of his generation. Here is prime Jones using a punishing jab to set up and then decking and dismantling an outclassed Vinny Pazienza (40-5) in 1995 in Atlantic City:

Against Montell Griffin, Jones displayed his one-punch KO power using his left hook as seen here:

And against Virgil Hill, this is what happened when Jones went downstairs with a rib-breaking right:

In 1996, Jones showed his “dark side” as he brutalized Bryant Brannon at the Garden in 1996 with an assortment of pure menace coming from all directions that prompted Gil Clancy to say”Wanna ask again who’s the best fighter in the world? “In this one,. Jones finally motioned to Referee Ron Lipton to stop the slaughter. This was a prime Jones;

Sometimes Jones irritated boxing aficionados for what appeared to be an indifference to the sport, such as when he participated in a semi-pro basketball game the day of a fight with Eric Lucas, a tough fighter whom Jones later stopped. But this was simply Jones showing off his athleticism.

The Fall

“Had Roy Jones Jr. defended his heavyweight title even once before walking away, there’s no telling where his legacy would stand today.” — Brian Campbell

“Everybody cuts weight; it’s part of boxing. It’s an excuse for him to say, ‘Well, I lost too much weight too fast.’ No you didn’t. That’s disrespectful to every fighter that loses the weight and doesn’t say the same thing.”—Chris Byrd

When Jones returned to the light heavyweight division in November 2003, his record was 49-1 but it marked the beginning of his fall from grace as his rapid loss of muscle mass rendered him—at least in my view– vulnerable to fellow Floridian Antonio Tarver against whom he looked terribly gaunt and slow in winning an MD in November 2003. It is unusual for a top athlete let alone boxer to put on that much weight (20 pounds) and then take it off quickly. It can take a heavy toll and Jones was no exception..

Nevertheless, the reasons for Roy’s decline are up for debate, but it’s clear that he wasn’t the same fighter after returning to 175 pounds following his heavyweight title win against Ruiz. He was slower, his legs seemed tired and most worrisome, his chin was now in question. “That was tough,” Jones said. “I’m through with 175. It’s too hard to get down. The only thing I want to do next is fight Tyson. Then it’s over”.”

In a rematch with Tarver, however, he was shockingly stopped at 1:41 of the second round. His reflexes and tremendous athleticism were no longer at their apex and the downward spiral had begun.

Since that fateful fight in 2004, a 45 year-old Roy has gone 10-6, but he now has won five in a row and continues to pick his spots in a more comfortable, albeit far less competitive groove as he carries on in Eastern Europe where he enjoys strong popularity.

A prime Roy Jones Jr was as good as it gets. Had he retired after the first Tarver fight, his record would have been 50-1 and his place among the top five modern all time greats would have been well justified. As it is, he still will rate among the top ten on my lists because, as Larry Merchant said during the Brannon fight, he was “Oscar Peterson with Boxing Gloves.” And if fast fingers and a hardwired sense of swing defined Peterson, fast hands and a seldom-seen sense of reflexes defined Jones.

“A fighter in history is judged by what he did in his prime, like most athletes and most successful anythings….Roy was one of the best of his time, and that, to me, is the best you can be.”—Larry Merchant

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ is rightly regarded as an all time great, it's just a pity more fight fans don't give our great Joe Calzaghe an undefeated hall of famer more credit.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am planning to train

Tyson 2.0 and SugarRay 1001, but Roy Jones, Sr version, is in plans at the third place on the list
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ left questions, that should've been answered.

Even though I am one who states names he didn't fight, I still felt he would've won, yet he didn't fight ALL the names.

My 1st knock on him is that...Guys like Ray Robinson had over 120 fights before his talents and skill deteriorated.
    The second knock on RJJ was his testing positive for a banned substance, the 3rd knock was when he came back to LHW, the title was stripped of the one who won it in the ring- wreaked of favoritism. That fighter sued ...and won, proving RJJ should've fought to get the LHW title back.

RJJ's talent & yes skill can't be denied. A bad mofo, but his rule consisted of too many ordinary Joes: Lastly when he chose to fight vinny Pazienza, I felt cheated. Paz, seemed to roided up...when comparing him to his early days and came back from what was it? A motorcycle accident? I expected Michael Nunn or Rochiaginni, but after Toney, the names were pretty weak, if not awful. Maybe credit to fighting the body snatcher McCallum, but... this was 96? a dude who had been fighting since 1981?!

I agree with what Manny Steward said: Roy is probably the most waste of talent ever. So much skill so much speed & power and who did he display it against? Thorton, Sosa, Lucas, Brannon, Griffin was a good fighter, but few knew him. Hill was always considered protected. Then Devalle, Grant, Reggie Johnson , Telesco? Richard Hall?! A who's who list of WHO are these guys?

Great talent, unique skills, but a horrible manager of his own fights.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 12-19-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the end of the day, there were legit reasons why he didn't fight most of the guys people bring up. And I mean knocking the guy because he didn't have 100 plus fights before his skills eroded? Come on, dude. Sugar Ray Robinson was shit at 35. So was Henry Armstrong, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, ect ect. That's the age where guys are typically past their prime, if not sooner.

Thread Information