Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Keith Thurman...wtf was that?

I'm all in favor of a guy trying to find a new wrinkle in his game and fighting smart but he honestly left me quite confused. He took a showcase night for essentially future Floyd opponents..Bradley, Khan and himself and looked like a guy trying to impress by riding a bicycle backwards for no reason whatsoever. To me he looked scattered and unsure and had tons of dead spots..not defending nor attacking but letting his 40 yr old opponent actually back him all night and even get a bit stronger down the stretch? He has called Mayweather out twice hours earlier, took shots at his style and..predicted an early ko...and then turned into a track start ffs It was just the wrong time to experiment I believe and may have shown more vulnerabilities than he intended. It was different and early it was patient-smart but he stayed that way and let his foot off the gas big time. Anyone who says Mayweather is ducking Thurman is drinking the kool aid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Keith Thurman...wtf was that?

I think the reason people are saying Thurman was "exposed" and stuff like that is because Thurman talked so much about how people were ducking him, went off on Floyd at the weigh-in, only to look less than impressive against an opponent who was supposed to be an easy fight for him.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say this looked a little more like fear of getting caught, then versatility. I think Thurman went out with the intention of looking sharp and like a refined, smart, high-energy brawler. (Think younger, smarter, faster, flashier maidana or what everyone hoped victor ortiz might become). It took Bundu a while to find him, but once he did (and after getting up from the knockdown where he got caught in transition to southpaw), I think there was an understanding that Bundu new that he would have to take punches to land punches and was willing to do that. I wouldn't say that Bundu had great power, but I will say he had a clear objective to win the fight and that was land at all costs and make the flashy kid scrap under pressure.

Thurman wasn't feeling that and probably figured the closer he allowed his opponent to get, the worse he would look. So he "crabbed" it around the outside (circled with lateral movement with his hands up, changing direction occasionally) and looked to potshot. Thurman figured if he stunned Bundu, he'd jump on him and take advantage and if he didn't he would just stockpile points and proclaim himself a "master in the art of boxing". I was disappointed enough to flip to HBO to watch the prelims there.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its just that hes opponent was tricky and it was more a case of win today and look good next time.
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I think the reason people are saying Thurman was "exposed" and stuff like that is because Thurman talked so much about how people were ducking him, went off on Floyd at the weigh-in, only to look less than impressive against an opponent who was supposed to be an easy fight for him.
    Bundu is probably completely unknown in the states but noone looks good against him. Hes just that type of fighter

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Bundu was underestimated a little because he wasn't known to American fans? I thought Thurman was quite impressive, but I've seen Bundu fight a few times, so wasn't expecting a blowout.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could it be that Bundu is pretty good? Could it be?

I mean, the guy has over 30 plus fights. Never was defeated until he fought Thurman. Won about 70% of his rounds. And has never been down in his career. I'd say we have a hidden gem in the European division, rather than saying Thurman was shit.

Bundu looked like he deserved to be in the right last night. No joke!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I wouldn't say he was exposed but he def set himself up for a let down. You just go around popping off and calling out the elite apparently falling in love with your own headlines and at the first sign of versatility shut down and ignore why people tune in. You don't get to label yourself One Time and turn Algieri ffs and I think he failed to show the middle ground between ridiculous predictions of "2nd round ko" and turning complete fleet of foot counting on only 1-2 trap counter shots.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Maybe Bundu was underestimated a little because he wasn't known to American fans? I thought Thurman was quite impressive, but I've seen Bundu fight a few times, so wasn't expecting a blowout.
    There is truth to that string of ignorance in some fighters, camps and fans when dealing with guys coming in for the first time. But when you're putting yourself on a pedestal and calling out the very top guys, you sure as Hell better do some research and get an idea of what is coming. Bundu was a bit shifty with switch hitting, good feet and kept it tight upstairs but I didn't see anything all that complex vs Gavin, questionable count aside, or last night. Its a Thurman thing and feel he resigned himself instead of staying more offensive minded. Lots of holes on the dude.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it's anything to get on him about. The fact is, when you're fighting top ranked guys consistently, you're going to run into tough match ups, and you're going to run into guys who you're just not going to knock out, no matter how big of a puncher you are.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I would say this looked a little more like fear of getting caught, then versatility. I think Thurman went out with the intention of looking sharp and like a refined, smart, high-energy brawler. (Think younger, smarter, faster, flashier maidana or what everyone hoped victor ortiz might become). It took Bundu a while to find him, but once he did (and after getting up from the knockdown where he got caught in transition to southpaw), I think there was an understanding that Bundu new that he would have to take punches to land punches and was willing to do that. I wouldn't say that Bundu had great power, but I will say he had a clear objective to win the fight and that was land at all costs and make the flashy kid scrap under pressure.

Thurman wasn't feeling that and probably figured the closer he allowed his opponent to get, the worse he would look. So he "crabbed" it around the outside (circled with lateral movement with his hands up, changing direction occasionally) and looked to potshot. Thurman figured if he stunned Bundu, he'd jump on him and take advantage and if he didn't he would just stockpile points and proclaim himself a "master in the art of boxing". I was disappointed enough to flip to HBO to watch the prelims there.

I've never understood all the hype around the guy tbh. A catchy nickname, a big mouth and corn rolls.
    Nothing special about him at all. And he can call out Mayweather until the cows come home but Floyd wont be fighting this guy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah and I think the head butts were also a big thing, and yeah I was pretty disappointed with the fight too.

I think in the end this is the danger of not allowing a handler to pick your fight. People like to talk about cherrypicking fighters like only Floyd Mayweather does it, but it's something everyone is doing. Thurman wanted to fight a tough undefeated fighter and he picked a durable, awkward guy who was going to be impossible to look great against. It was Thurman being stubborn. In reality, he should have took the conventional path and fought a guy he could bang out of there in a few rounds so he could get people clambering for a big fight with Floyd, Pac or Khan.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Yeah and I think the head butts were also a big thing, and yeah I was pretty disappointed with the fight too.

I think in the end this is the danger of not allowing a handler to pick your fight. People like to talk about cherrypicking fighters like only Floyd Mayweather does it, but it's something everyone is doing. Thurman wanted to fight a tough undefeated fighter and he picked a durable, awkward guy who was going to be impossible to look great against. It was Thurman being stubborn. In reality, he should have took the conventional path and fought a guy he could bang out of there in a few rounds so he could get people clambering for a big fight with Floyd, Pac or Khan.
    I wouldnt say it was impossible for Thurman to look good against Bundu. After all, when Bundu got dropped i'm pretty sure that there were quite a few people (including Thurman) that felt like all that jawing that Thurman did was going to prophetic rather than trash talking. It was after Bundu got up and and went right back at Thurman, that Thurman decided that if this guy wasn't going lay down or wear down (like Soto Karass), he didn't want to play "destroyer" anymore and settling for conservative pot shotting would still inch him toward a golden ticket. Lots of fighters do the same and while its good to see a fighter work things out, but i'll reserve opinions on Thurman's heart until I see him bring it to someone who wants it and asked for seconds.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Could it be that Bundu is pretty good? Could it be?

I mean, the guy has over 30 plus fights. Never was defeated until he fought Thurman. Won about 70% of his rounds. And has never been down in his career. I'd say we have a hidden gem in the European division, rather than saying Thurman was shit.

Bundu looked like he deserved to be in the right last night. No joke!
    I agree, Bundu is like a perpetual fainting machine, plus the constant stance switching was bothering Thurman. He has pretty fast hands too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bundu might be hard to look good against but Thurman looked a lot worse than he should have.

Thread Information