Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: your opinion on what factors have made Floyd great

Floyd is a smart fighter.

Too smart to avoid all possible fighters who would be able to knock him out in their peak.

He said it himself. He does not want to be hurt because he values his life more than his reputation. I cannot judge him on that. Boxing is a dangerous sport after all.

Anyway, that leads me to my point. He is not great yet in my record. Not after he fights Pac whom I consider to be in the level of Armstrong (nearest) , SRR, Ali, etc.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Careful matchmaking LOL
    Defensive driving.😆

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    A lot of negative stuff about Floyd lately so I figure I'd try something positive. We don't need to talk about his recent links to Lance Armstrong and Manny Rameriz, let's keep it positive.

I seriously think Floyd's jab is a major factor in his successor. I think he could win a fight on points just using that jab.

Can't not talk about that defense. IMO there is no way he could have lasted so long without it. The guy makes his defense more exciting than his offense. I often watch fighters highlights of defense on YouTube. Tyson in his prime was probably the best hw defense I've seen of recent era. No matter what the caliber of Floyd's opponents his defense is a thing of art. All the peds in the world couldn't make that. I think we are coming to the end of the Floyd and Manny era, it's not like boxing will stop with these guys gone but it will be sad to see it happen. I hope they both go out gracefully.
    Ah... Yea, Right! that will do it.

I love Floyd... he's Great! T.B.E.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd has been consistent in his level of skill against all his opponents and he adjusts better than anyone I have seen.

Other than that he is a cunt.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Speed, Great hand & eye cooridination, timing, reflex, underated power- not great but as Maidana said-repectable, then add on his ring IQ (adjustments), he is about as close to the total package as one could have.
    Then add on his defense, he can roll with punches, he fights from angles, turns, pivots, twists, giving his foe little to hit cleanly, and when they do land...how many fighters in the history of the sport has gone 18 years and never dropped? on his back or a knee...in 18 years?! if that isnt an underated chin, I dont know what is.

Oh and a shrude negotiater on who he picks to display his talents and skills and when...Floyd has the greatest career in boxing. His resume is TBE.

BUT...that doesnt make him the greatest boxer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's one of the rare guys who had it all: superior athletic ability, boxing skill and IQ that was off the charts, the toughness and mental fortitude to take a punch and be able to operate intelligently in high stress situations, and the discipline.

For years, two of my favourite fighters were James Toney and Roberto Duran, and I had to go on the forums and make excuses for both guys, talking about how James would have done this and that if he had been in shape, and how Roberto Duran would have whipped SRL in the 2nd fight if he was in shape and didn't blow up after the first fight, ect ect. Eventually I had to accept the fact that discipline was as much linked to how great a boxer was as skill or anything else. Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran, to me, were not in the same class as Sugar Ray Leonard because Leonard had it all. Duran didn't have the discipline and Hearns didn't have the chin or the ability to operate with a clear mind when hurt.

Guys like Floyd, Roy Jones, Ray Leonard, Pernell, Ray Robinson, ect will always be the best boxing ever offered IMO, because they were complete fighters.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Oh and a shrude negotiater on who he picks to display his talents and skills and when...Floyd has the greatest career in boxing. His resume is TBE.

That's a strange opinion, usually people praise his boxing skill but shit on his record.

Who were better boxers than Floyd?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

That's a strange opinion, usually people praise his boxing skill but shit on his record.

Who were better boxers than Floyd?
    Agreed, most do (attempt) to rag his record, but overall it has been 18 years!
    The most I can muster to question who he didnt fight was Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito, otherwise I'm hard pressed to find others he could have fought.

Maybe some say he chose certain times to fight guys? But he won the title within 2 years as a pro, has fought undefeated fighters like Diego Corralles who 33-0, Hatton 43-0, body punchers like Castillo, southpaw with quick hands like Judah, fought DLH at DLH's preferred weight, Shane after his annhilation of Margarito, JMM with the exception of a controversial loss to Pac had cleaned out his division over MAB, Juarez, Diaz & the lineal champ at the time Casamayor.
    And the last 3-4 guys he fought werent ancient relics; young bucks, Canelo, Guerrero, Ortiz & a bruiser in Maidana.

If his resume can be topped, then I have no problems acknowledging those who have as many different styles of fighters on their resume as PBF.

And when I say he isnt the greatest boxer, I mean that he has ..chosen- when to fight certain guys on his resume, and most of all, he failed IMO to solidy the best when he haggles & negotiate. Ali never did that he fought whoever, whenever, however.
    If Ali were in Floyd's shoes..he would have fought Paul Williams at his top & Margarito....Ali didnt care much for Don King the way PBF dislikes Arum, but the greats fight whoever, and whenever...Floyd doesn't.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 12-20-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ali were in Floyd's shoes..he would have fought Paul Williams at his top & Margarito....Ali didnt care much for Don King the way PBF dislikes Arum, but the greats fight whoever, and whenever...Floyd doesn't.
    Yeah but Ali also sat on the ropes (in fights and in sparring) and let guys pound on him, and ended up in a sad state after boxing, so maybe he isn't the greatest example of a guy who made all the right moves...

When I hear people talk about Floyd like he ducked these guys, or like he was the only one in the history of boxing who never fought a couple of guys people would have liked to have seen him against... I have to wonder why those people are willing to form opinions without doing the research.

After all Floyd has done, do we really think that either Margarito or Paul Williams would have defined his career or given him more trouble than a Corrales, Hatton, De La Hoya, Alvarez, ect?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Yeah but Ali also sat on the ropes (in fights and in sparring) and let guys pound on him, and ended up in a sad state after boxing, so maybe he isn't the greatest example of a guy who made all the right moves...

When I hear people talk about Floyd like he ducked these guys, or like he was the only one in the history of boxing who never fought a couple of guys people would have liked to have seen him against... I have to wonder why those people are willing to form opinions without doing the research.

After all Floyd has done, do we really think that either Margarito or Paul Williams would have defined his career or given him more trouble than a Corrales, Hatton, De La Hoya, Alvarez, ect?
    My defining of great can be considered subjective not objective, doesn't bother me.
    But from my perspective a factor of greatness is defined by taking on all comers.

So with Ali..we HAVE NO QUESTIONS UNANSWERED, but with Floyd we have to speculate on why the long-tall-rangy fighters were left of his resume.

Wether Ali sat on the ropes in sparring or tightroped walked them has no bearing on this discussion.
    IMO I am stricly talking boxing, from an athletic perspective.
    Football or Basketball doesnt have athletes claiming no need to play this team or that teambecause of..insert selfish answer. Other sports are set up to match your skills against all.
    Well Ali made that decision: He was too arrogant to let someone go by, wether he could beat them or not, he had to find out.

Floyd chose not to find out, and for that he is not my greatest fighter of all time.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose to some (morons) greatness in boxing comes down to fighting EVERYBODY. If that were the case then Emannual Augustus or Glen Johnson or Yori Boy Campas are the greatest fighters.

But we all know there's more to it than that. Being great doesn't mean you take on everyone it means you know your abilities--your strengths and your weaknesses and you use them to your advantage.

You say Floyd isn't great because he never fought a long rangy fighter (and you ignore Coralles, because it doesn't suit your argument) and that proves he's not great?

You can count the number of rounds Floyd's lost on your fingers and toes.

Think a little people. There's no question that Floyd is an all time great.
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 12-20-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Rocco but he is not the best ever which he claims to be.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Floyd has been consistent in his level of skill against all his opponents and he adjusts better than anyone I have seen.

Other than that he is a cunt.
    I agree with most of the above..

Who has highlights like these..
    http://youtu.be/bQYeSXpC244
    Last edited by Master; 12-21-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    I suppose to some (morons) greatness in boxing comes down to fighting EVERYBODY. If that were the case then Emannual Augustus or Glen Johnson or Yori Boy Campas are the greatest fighters.

But we all know there's more to it than that. Being great doesn't mean you take on everyone it means you know your abilities--your strengths and your weaknesses and you use them to your advantage.

You say Floyd isn't great because he never fought a long rangy fighter (and you ignore Coralles, because it doesn't suit your argument) and that proves he's not great?

You can count the number of rounds Floyd's lost on your fingers and toes.

Think a little people. There's no question that Floyd is an all time great.
    Some of you are a stone tripped having to use insults when you disagree, Morons? Serious.. check yourself with that internet tough guy talk,
    And I never said Floyd wasnt great. I said to me he wasnt the greatEST!

And I labeled it as a perspective, subjective at that. Quality beats Quantity everday of the week.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 12-21-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are great fighters born or made? Perhaps they are born to be made? Its pretty obvious to me that the Mayweathers totally immersed Floyd from a toddler and whats that theory about 50,000 hours?
    That same type of total immersion also had to have helped to construct the Gretzky's and Jordans of the world.

It is also quite obvious that the Mayweathers looked closely at the fighting technique of both Burley and Benton and although both Sr and Roger had limited success behind the shoulder, Floyd mastered it and put his own signature in it because he had the time

Adding to that desire for perfection was Floyds no doubt desire to escape the imperfections of his family life.

A perfect storm.

Thread Information