1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wrasslin'!

[QUOTE=Alpha;1487406]
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Man that's when Wrasslin was fun, late 80's early 90's. Neidhart was a great persona. I thought I heard Brett was real sick some time back but saw him on the tube at some ufc card week or two ago and he looked good.
    He looked ok last I saw him but not sure.

Always wondered if he was secretly in on the Canadian scam job.[/isQUOTE]

What was that about?
    Here's a bit on it. Basically they screwed Hart out of the championship before he left for the WCW.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob
    That was an interesting read. I doubt he would be involved in that.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Master;1487408]
    Man that's when Wrasslin was fun, late 80's early 90's. Neidhart was a great persona. I thought I heard Brett was real sick some time back but saw him on the tube at some ufc card week or two ago and he looked good.
    He looked ok last I saw him but not sure.

Always wondered if he was secretly in on the Canadian scam job.[/isQUOTE]

What was that about?
    Here's a bit on it. Basically they screwed Hart out of the championship before he left for the WCW.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob
    That was an interesting read. I doubt he would be involved in that.
    It was a huge controversy in the industry at the time. Who's to say Brett and Vince didn't come to some agreement as it was The Hitmans last for the WWF anyway and gave both parties a massive boost.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's just a conspiracy theory I had.

Hart seemed to truly always hold a grudge, even at his HOF induction, still til today.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reasons to think it was planned:

Brett had a creative control clause in his contract, it would have been breach of contract had it gone against Harts wishes.

Brett punching Vince was never filmed. Also the black eye looked fake.

Hart could head to the WCW playing the victim card.

Coincidentally they were filming a documentary on Hart at this exact time.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rousey breaks McMahon’s arm during odd title ceremony segment

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/more...cid=spartanntp

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually had a quick look at Summer Slam with my nephew on Sunday. I have no idea what they are trying to do with Rousey and she's getting torn up on social media from mma and wrestling 'fans' alike. We know its all scripted but its still a competitive business and they just red carpeted her straight to the big show. But the poor girl can't act or work a mic to save her life. They def need to turn her heel and make her wear pants ffs.

El Kabong Guest

Actually had a quick look at Summer Slam with my nephew on Sunday. I have no idea what they are trying to do with Rousey and she's getting torn up on social media from mma and wrestling 'fans' alike. We know its all scripted but its still a competitive business and they just red carpeted her straight to the big show. But the poor girl can't act or work a mic to save her life. They def need to turn her heel and make her wear pants ffs.
    That's the problem with the business today. Nobody is believable anymore...Stone Cold and The Rock were the last guys you were like "You know, I bet he's like that in real life" but shit back in the day Randy Savage was ALWAYS Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan could never NOT be Hulk Hogan, the guys were larger than life and they LIVED their roles (sometimes to the detriment of their health and well being). Ric Flair was always The Nature Boy as evidenced by how he acted outside the ring....he bedded two women he woke up couldn't find his Rolex and asked the ladies where it was they said "Oh you don't remember?" he said "No" the gals say "You threw it in a bowl of spaghetti and told the guy you had 15 more just like it"....now I'm sure that was an expensive watch and it had to hurt a little to lose it, but to lose it like that, that's baller, and it's exactly what The Nature Boy would do even if he couldn't afford it in real life.

I tell you if I ever start a wrasslin business I'm demanding my guys do all the steroids and cocaine they can stomach because honestly that made for very believable characters at least for me when I was young. Nowadays there's very few muscle bound wrestlers...Brock Lesnar is one, Cena is one, but shit back in the day you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a roided out monster: Hercules Hernandez, Don Muraco, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Psycho Sid Vicious, Lex Luger, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, The Barbarian, The Warlord, Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, Scott Steiner, Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff, Sting, Superstar Billy Graham...all those dudes were massive.

For non-steroids guys Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat had and still has the best physique. Top class dude Ricky Steamboat. I did meet Ric Flair and I also flapped wings at Koko B War who of course returned the winged salute...One Man Gang/Akeem The African Dream (lol talk about a character that couldn't be used today) is surprisingly still around, but boy he doesn't look in the greatest of health but shit that dude is STILL huge

I don't watch much of anything new at least the WWE, it's targeted to kids (as it was in the 80's Rock'n'Wrestling days) and that's fine, but the nostalgia of it is nice. I used to catch local shows because my friend worked for a local company and made sure we went which was great fun...there was one weekend my wife and I went to a wrestling show one night and an Opera the next...variety is the spice of life my friends got to enjoy it all. Since my friend's passing we haven't gone to another wrestling show because hanging out with him was a big part of it as well.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check out some of the pictures in the link, mabe because they are black and white they look brilliant.

Inside the Ring of Underground Wrestling

By day, Jake Gomez works as a special-education teacher in Downtown Brooklyn. But on a Friday evening in June, the stocky, mohawked 31-year-old was professionally elbow-dropping opponents in the ring. Within the cinder-block recreation center of Most Precious Blood Church in the Bath Beach section of Brooklyn, he was Logan Black, the King of Chaos.

Mr. Gomez is part of New York’s underground wrestling scene, a D.I.Y. community of performers, referees, managers and fans who embrace the violent pageantry of a sport usually seen on pay-per-view or in arenas.

For a few hours a week, they congregate in gyms, nightclubs and social clubs to perform under the guises of brutish and flamboyant personae, before returning to their otherwise routine lives.
    “We’re all having fun and enjoying doing this,” Mr. Gomez said. “The outlet is being in the ring and being able to express the superhero inside you.”

The space was filled for the fourth anniversary of Five Borough Wrestling, a promotional company that hosts monthly events at community centers in Brooklyn. Hours before the show, dozens of wrestlers, many of whom were just there to network, perspired in the empty gym, chatting and thumbing at their phones.

The cohort included 26 performers, some beefy and towering, others sinewy and short. There was a menagerie of beards, man buns and goatees. One man fumbled around with a blunt ax.

Troy Thompson, the 26-year-old co-founder of Five Borough Wrestling, described his selection process for booking wrestlers. “For me, it’s always the body,” he said, dressed in a Tommy Hilfiger shirt and pink shorts. “If you look larger than life, I’m going to like you.”

The ring apparatus arrived in a box truck minutes before the doors were scheduled to open. Wrestlers rushed to unload wooden beams and foam pads. The metal skeleton was assembled in the center circle of the basketball court. Backstage, a mint green church office with a hanging crucifix became a sweaty, cologne-laced locker room, with performers choreographing their moves and changing into costumes.

The performers were giddy, supportive and almost nerdy — more LARP-er than jock. A lanky, 27-year-old wrestler who performs as Cajun Crawdad pulled on a crustacean outfit with a red and orange mask.

“There’s seaweed and antennae things,” he said. “It’s terrible to breathe in.” Though his stage name may suggest otherwise, Crawdad is from Linden, N.J., and works at a gelato shop. “My tag team partner is a hermit crab,” he said.

Nearby, Pyro Pulse and the Iceberg Joe, two brothers from Staten Island who wrestle together as the Elements, showed off $400 custom leather luchador masks. Pyro Pulse, who is 30 and works as a screen printer, said his mask had to be broken in. “It’s like a baseball mitt,” he said. “But I didn’t put it in the oven or nothing.”

Outside, fans clutching hot dogs and beers piled into folding chairs (front-row tickets cost $30, general admission was $20). The show began. Wrestlers snarled and preened as they entered the ring to theme music, then thunderously slammed each other to the canvas, careened off the ropes and moaned in submission holds.

Some spat liquid into the audience or encouraged spectators to slap the exposed chests of their chicken-winged opponents.

Billy Caputo, a retired professional wrestling referee who in his heyday shared the ring with Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant, was there on behalf of the New York State Athletic Commission. “I watch the crowd all night long,” Mr. Caputo, 70, said. “Have a good time, but don’t get involved in an overbearing way.”

The night’s main event was a match between JT Dunn and David Starr, two of the more notable names on the bill. Their grueling bout ended with the wrestlers slumped in the ring, respectfully sharing bottled water.

Mr. Dunn, a 28-year-old from Providence, R.I., has wrestled full-time for the last four years. He knows that a tryout with World Wrestling Entertainment could advance his career, but the sport has already elevated him emotionally.

“Pro wrestling was really the thing that took me out of the darkness,” Mr. Dunn said in the raspy, rapid cadence of a carnival barker. Seven years ago he was addicted to painkillers, and he reached a breaking point when he overdosed.

“I needed to get my life together,” Mr. Dunn said. “It sucked because a lot of my friends didn’t take me seriously. They thought pro wrestling in my life was a joke.”

Most wrestlers in the underground community revel in the freedom of temporary shape-shifting. Ian Fried, who performs as Orion Dove, wore fluffy white boots, struck effete poses and used an enormous henchman to do his dirty work. Fans reviled him.

“It’s more fun to be a bad guy,” said Mr. Fried, who works in communications at Vice. “If I want to call a guy in the front row a piece of trash, I can.”

The referees are performers, too: Their charade involves faux impartiality and selective blindness. “And it’s the best seat in the house,” said Rob Blatt, who oversees several matches a month. He is the director of audience at Observer and has trained as a sideshow performer and a competitive eater.

“It’s a matter of not letting this overwhelm the rest of my life,” Mr. Blatt said. “My wife hates it.”
    During intermission, spectators browsed the merchandise offerings, which included T-shirts and autographed photos. Some performers make as little as $20 a show, and cultivating fans can be essential to their continued participation.

Anthony Greene, who wrestles as “Retrosexual Anthony Greene,” stood behind a folding table displaying stickers and sunglasses. The 24-year-old wrestler peddled fake mustaches, which looked somewhat like his own, for $5. “I only have one left, so I did pretty good,” he said. Mr. Greene is sponsored by Zubaz, a company that sells zebra-striped clothing.

Most of the attendees were from Brooklyn and Staten Island. A few regulars on the circuit were familiar with the signature moves and celebratory rituals of the performers.

“I love the characters, the creativity,” said Nova Gray, a 21-year-old who had traveled from Baltimore for the event. “Wrestling brings people together.” Soon she raced off to pose for photos with combatants.

There were only men on the bill at the Five Boroughs event, though the underground wrestling scene includes a small but growing number of women performers.

“You have to go even harder than usual to prove that you can be just as good if not better than the guys,” said Kristen Stadtlander, a 23-year-old wrestler from Long Island who performs in alien makeup.

After the show, wrestlers mingled with fans as the ring was deconstructed and reloaded into the truck. The mutual appreciation was palpable; everyone was an insider among outsiders.

"This was never something I thought I’d be able to do,” said Alex Abakulov, who wrestles as A.J. Spectre and studies osteopathic medicine. “I was this out-of-shape foreign kid who grew up poor and always got made fun of. I didn’t expect that I’d be performing in front of anybody. Every show is a gift.”

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't around during the Wwf haydays but have watched a heap of that stuff. Steamboat was awesome, prime Sting also.

The underground and Japanese scene is much better these days.

Isn't the guy who plays Arrow having/ had a wrestling match?
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

I wasn't around during the Wwf haydays but have watched a heap of that stuff. Steamboat was awesome, prime Sting also.

No 80's WWF for ya? No worries, plenty of that on YouTube same with Stampede or NWA, WCW, WCCW, UWF, etc

Ricky Steamboat wasn't just class in the ring, he's a fucking gent outside it really classy guy, nice person. I remember he took the DDT off of Jake Roberts on the CEMENT....knocked him out cold, swole his eyes shut, he had told Jake he would put his hands up to stop the damage, Jakes tried to reason with him, but apparently Ricky thought he owed a promoter a little extra danger in that match and it fucked him up bad. If you ever have 40 minutes to spare check Steamboat vs Flair, CLASSIC match, Steamboat vs Macho Man was great too!

Japanese wrestling has always been class, those fuckers know what pro wrestling is supposed to be and they don't pretend it's anything else. I remember Stan Hansen popping Vader's eyeball out...RIP Vader.

Stephen Amell who plays Green Arrow is/was a pro wrestler with WWE and Ring of Honor. He's going to be on something called 'All In' coming up soon.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

No 80's WWF for ya? No worries, plenty of that on YouTube same with Stampede or NWA, WCW, WCCW, UWF, etc

Ricky Steamboat wasn't just class in the ring, he's a fucking gent outside it really classy guy, nice person. I remember he took the DDT off of Jake Roberts on the CEMENT....knocked him out cold, swole his eyes shut, he had told Jake he would put his hands up to stop the damage, Jakes tried to reason with him, but apparently Ricky thought he owed a promoter a little extra danger in that match and it fucked him up bad. If you ever have 40 minutes to spare check Steamboat vs Flair, CLASSIC match, Steamboat vs Macho Man was great too!

Japanese wrestling has always been class, those fuckers know what pro wrestling is supposed to be and they don't pretend it's anything else. I remember Stan Hansen popping Vader's eyeball out...RIP Vader.

Stephen Amell who plays Green Arrow is/was a pro wrestler with WWE and Ring of Honor. He's going to be on something called 'All In' coming up soon.
    I've watched a lot of the 80s stuff, my older cousins and uncles had bundles of VHS tapes, that were eventually put onto dvd, that are now in mkv format and mags from the time.

There were huge superstars back then, all they have now is maybe Cena.

I have heaps of favs but guys like Brett Hart and his brother as Blue Blazer, Benoit, Kurt Henning and Shawn Michaels are near the top. I like this guy called Paul Roma, he was part of Young Stallions I think with Jim Powers, then joined up with Hercules in Power and Glory. Back then almost every wrestler or team had substance to it.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've watched a lot of the 80s stuff, my older cousins and uncles had bundles of VHS tapes, that were eventually put onto dvd, that are now in mkv format and mags from the time.

I have heaps of favs but guys like Brett Hart and his brother as Blue Blazer, Benoit, Kurt Henning and Shawn Michaels are near the top. I like this guy called Paul Roma, he was part of Young Stallions I think with Jim Powers, then joined up with Hercules in Power and Glory. Back then almost every wrestler or team had substance to it.
    My favourite was ultimate warrior but loved British Bulldog

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea the Warrior was awesome. You could see them building to a Hulk vs Warrior showdown. Dalvey Boy Smith, is that the one? He was brill as well.

Shout out to Demolition, and the Islanders as well. I would mention Strike force but didn't like Martel, Santana I like tho.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea the Warrior was awesome. You could see them building to a Hulk vs Warrior showdown. Dalvey Boy Smith, is that the one? He was brill as well.

Shout out to Demolition, and the Islanders as well. I would mention Strike force but didn't like Martel, Santana I like tho.
    Yes British Bulldog and the Dynamite Kid.

El Kabong Guest

Warrior was an odd duck. Davey Boy Smith was a solid wrestler never THE guy worldwide but he had a great career. Of the two British Bulldogs Dynamite Kid was my favorite, he was apparently a bit of an asshole in real life, but what a fucking worker in the ring. His matches with Tiger Mask in Japan still hold up, he was well ahead of his time.

Another thing I enjoyed about wrestling were the ladies but just as time wasn't kind to many of the dudes woah nellie it really was bad for the women. Missy Hyatt USED to look amazing, Sunny (Tammy Sytch) used to look amazing, but wooooooah those gals hit a wall...caught on fire.....hit another wall...and someone came around and put the flames out with broken glass and sandpaper.

Thread Information