Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Emanuel Augustus- Honorary Champion?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Emanuel Augustus- Honorary Champion?

If there was ever a fighter that deserved to be an honorary champion it would be Emanuel Augustus.

He fought everyone. Was robbed by half of them. Never fought for a major world title as a result of some of those robberies, and held the IBA belt for a 2 month stint.

I feel if the IBHOF, Ring, WBC, WBA, IBF or WBO were to ever institute an "Honorary Champion", posthumously or not, then we have to consider Emanuel Augustus as a prime candidate.

Of course, it may not come with the large money champions make. It may not come with money at all in the short term. But it may come down to respect. Respect earned from getting in the ring in ANY TOWN and taking them on.

Some of our best fighters don't do that. They are great fighters, but when it comes down to being true champions, they are just great fighters that won a few belts. Not a true Champion at times.

What do you say??
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Emanuel Augustus- Honorary Champion?

He is one of my favorite boxers, but didnt he take a few dives?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He went tooth and nail with a lot of prospects and contenders but never on a championship tier. As entertaining and skilled as he was I don't think he always gave himself the best chance to 'take the next step'. His championship is when Mayweather calls him one of his legitimately toughest fights..and recently staring death in the eye and not blinking.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great entertainer, but not sure I'd make him a champion of anything.

Similar robberies (multiple) can be affixed to others if we do it for him. A reason why Glencoffe Johnson was called the Road Warrior correct? He went to his foes backyward and was robbed regularly.-BUT he kept at it until he got that win, and was named, champion & fighter of the year-on his own means.

Augustus always lacked a little something. Discipline? Smoked a lil' too much weed in between fights??

I dont think it was power he lacked... as feather-fisted boxers have held titles and Augustus is not a pillow-puncher but he does throw arm-punches more than he should have. Maybe promoters? He took quite a few fights on short notice, but as I stated in the Trivia thread- that was how Bernard Hopkins got into play- 4 hours notice and Butch Lewis picked him up, so short notice fights wasn't his downfall either..I dont think?

I have remixes to the drunken warrior fighting. Funkadelic & Parliament playing underneath him. Great chin, stamina galore, but he played his role: A Brilliant gatekeeper who you couldn't sleep on.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt Augustus would want to be named honorary anything, unless he really earned it.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he should.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved watching him, but he never got a title shot for a reason. There was no period in his career where he really strung any good wins together as far as I know, he'd always follow up a good performance by losing to a fringe contender or some random prospect etc. I'm sure he always needed money and never had any backing behind him, but he still didn't take himself seriously enough. He took at least one dive as well, shortly after beating THaxton in the UK and being on a pretty good run, what the hell can you expect after pulling that.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I loved watching him, but he never got a title shot for a reason. There was no period in his career where he really strung any good wins together as far as I know, he'd always follow up a good performance by losing to a fringe contender or some random prospect etc. I'm sure he always needed money and never had any backing behind him, but he still didn't take himself seriously enough. He took at least one dive as well, shortly after beating THaxton in the UK and being on a pretty good run, what the hell can you expect after pulling that.
    What dive did he take? Which fight??

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

One in Europe. Might have been in Denmark. It was terrible and very embarrassing to watch. It's on a YouTube.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    One in Europe. Might have been in Denmark. It was terrible and very embarrassing to watch. It's on a YouTube.
    Just saw it. He dove at the last 5 seconds of the 12th against Allan Vester. Vester went on to be destroyed by Zab Judah. Clearly a dive and most likely he knew he would be robbed anyways.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just saw it. He dove at the last 5 seconds of the 12th against Allan Vester. Vester went on to be destroyed by Zab Judah. Clearly a dive and most likely he knew he would be robbed anyways.
    Did any of them punches land in the end? He timed his dive perfect

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chris6878 View Post
    Did any of them punches land in the end? He timed his dive perfect
    Love taps, basically. I spank the missus on her butt harder than that.

Hidden Content

Thread Information