Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Total Newbie on heavy bag size/type, and glove size - any help appreciated

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Total Newbie on heavy bag size/type, and glove size - any help appreciated

So I want to get a heavy bag at my local Big5 sports. They have 80lb heavy bags for $64.99 and 12 or 16 oz gloves for $24.99. Also they have a Wavemaster Super X Free-Standing Heavy Bag that you apparently fill the base with water or sand for $120 (comes with gloves, jump rope, and DVD).
    However as William Hung once said, "I have no professional training". In fact I have no training at all, I don't really even know how to throw a proper jab, cross, hook, or uppercut. I just want a bag to take out frustration, burn calories, and lean some basic strikes, and just have some fun.

#1 - Is this worth it at all or am I just going to get bored b/c I don't know what to do. I read of lot of the other heavy bag threads but didn't really answer my question as most people here have training in some boxing or martial art form.

#2 - So what size bag would I need? I'm obviously a total newbie at this. I'm 6'1" about 185 pounds and do lift weights and run quite a bit, so I'm in OK shape. 70, 80, 100lbs? I can get a used 70 pounder for $30 right now, would this be a waste as a first bag, should I just right to 100lb?

#3 - So I would use hand wraps, and then at that point do you use "bag gloves", do you use 12oz boxing gloves? 16oz boxing gloves? I'm really not looking to get into competition so probably whatever gives me the best workout. It just seems those bag gloves don't have much padding but 16oz boxing gloves would be bulky, no?

Sorry for the first long post, any help is appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Total Newbie on heavy bag size/type, and glove size - any help appreciated

welcome to the forum mate.
    basically, the best thing you can do is go to a boxing gym, and learn the real thing. at the monment youll just be playing patta-cake with the bag, and itll stay that way untill you learn how to do it properly.

i suggest that cause of your size you get the biggest bag you possible can. DONT GET A WAVE MASTER. we used to have one at the gym and every time somone threw a punch at it fell over. they also skid all over the floor when you hit them, which really is no good.

as far as it goes with bags, get the most protection you can when you hit it at the moment, you wont know how to hold your hands, and you could do damage to your wrists

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Total Newbie on heavy bag size/type, and glove size - any help appreciated

Is a wave master one of those upright things Alex?

Use the heaviest Gloves you can get... at first it will be harder than if you started out with 4 ounze mitts or something but you will get fitter quicker from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    welcome to the forum mate.
    basically, the best thing you can do is go to a boxing gym, and learn the real thing. at the monment youll just be playing patta-cake with the bag, and itll stay that way untill you learn how to do it properly.

i suggest that cause of your size you get the biggest bag you possible can. DONT GET A WAVE MASTER. we used to have one at the gym and every time somone threw a punch at it fell over. they also skid all over the floor when you hit them, which really is no good.

as far as it goes with bags, get the most protection you can when you hit it at the moment, you wont know how to hold your hands, and you could do damage to your wrists
    I agree, and I'll add one thing. If you don't go to gym and decide to get a bag and gloves anyway, get some handwraps and find a book or a website that tells you how to use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3 replies already, thanks guys. I guess by the water bag, I meant more the hanging bag that you fill with water, not one of those that you fill the base with water. Although I obviously don't want to spend a ton of money right away which is why I'm just tempted to get taht used 70pounder for $30 and some 14 or 16oz bag gloves. However I think 70 pounds is going to be too light in the long run, perhaps starting off it'll help so I don't hurt myself. And I was thinking about getting Bas Rutten's DVD but I realize nothing beats a real, live instructor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

14oz should be fine for bag, just get some good quality ones, Everlast or something.

Wraps are probably optional.. just get them if you feel you need a bit more protection.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not 16oz? :P When you come to compete in 10oz gloves (or what ever it is, I've never checked... ) you'll feel a huge difference in hand speed and endurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ye Ameteur is 10oz i think
    Thats cricket

Thread Information