Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who next for Wilder

Many—probably most-- will call for a match with undefeated Tyson Fury (23-0), but why unduly risk something you just won?Moreover, Christian Hammer might have something to say about this.
    As for fighting Wladimir Klitschko (63-3), I say let the Doctor marinate a while longer before Wilder goes for the pot of gold at the end of the Klitschko rainbow. Wilder should settle in and fight some opponents where the risk-reward is in his favor.

Possibilities include:

1) The winner of the Tony Thompson (39-5) -Odlanier Solis (20-2) rematch—if it is made.

2) David Price has won 3 in a row and there could be some interest given his 6’8” frame.

3) Any Ruiz Jr. has a 24-0 record and has replaced Chris Arreola as the best heavyweight out there with Mexican blood running through him.

4) Eddie Chambers has won 5 in a row all in the UK and all were in 2014. At 41-4, he might fit the bill.

5) For those interested in Klitschko benchmarks, Kubrat Pulev (20-1) and Francesco Pianeta (31-1) come to mind, but at this point, Alexander Povetkin (28-1) may present too much of a risk—with the emphasis at “this point.” Carlos Takem (30-2-1) would be safer.

6) The winner of the Vyacheslav Glazkov (19-0-1) vs. Steve Cunningham (28-6) match set for March 14. Cunningham provides a Tyson Fury benchmark

7) Ruslan Chagaev (33-2-1) is as tough as nails but would present little risk to the NEW Heavyweight Champion..

Manuel Charr (27-2) has several decent notches on his belt and, by extension, Wilder could claim them by waxing Char.

9) Mike Perez (20-1-1) is durable and skilled but also boring and presents minimal fan interest.

10) Bryant Jennings (19-0) will be 19-1 after he is crunched by Klitschko, but if he surprises and puts up a good battle, he would quickly be a very viable opponent. Don’t look for that to happen.

Others that come to mind are Joseph Parker, Shannon Briggs, Eric Molina, Mark de Mori, Artur Szpilka, and Luca Browne.

Wilder has now become the first undefeated American heavyweight champion since Riddick Bowe in 1992 and the first American champion since the aforementioned Briggs won the crown in 2006 by beating Siarhei Liakhovich with one second left in the last round.

I think Tony Thompson would be perfect but on some level, I’d personally like to see Wilder fight Briggs (now 57-6-2) and erase him from the boxing landscape. But if Briggs were somehow someway able to upset Wilder, a Briggs-Klitschko fight would suddenly become a mega fight. Stranger things have occurred.
    Last edited by holmcall; 01-20-2015 at 09:43 PM.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who next for Wilder

youve thought about that havent you

it would be great if he fought fury, strike whilst the irons hot, is there a hotter more lucrative iron out there?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

Tyson Fury is most likely, Povetkin, Glazkov, Browne, Szpilka might be on the radar too.

I think at this point in time David Price might be a good one because he's big, fights tall, and has a big right cross. Although with Wilder being untested with his chin Price COULD prove to be a bit too dangerous. I still think he'll rebound and revive his career.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Many—probably most-- will call for a match with undefeated Tyson Fury (23-0), but why unduly risk something you just won?Moreover, Christian Hammer might have something to say about this.
    As for fighting Wladimir Klitschko (63-3), I say let the Doctor marinate a while longer before Wilder goes for the pot of gold at the end of the Klitschko rainbow. Wilder should settle in and fight some opponents where the risk-reward is in his favor.

Possibilities include:

1) The winner of the Tony Thompson (39-5) -Odlanier Solis (20-2) rematch—if it is made.

2) David Price has won 3 in a row and there could be some interest given his 6’8” frame.

3) Any Ruiz Jr. has a 24-0 record and has replaced Chris Arreola as the best heavyweight out there with Mexican blood running through him.

4) Eddie Chambers has won 5 in a row all in the UK and all were in 2014. At 41-4, he might fit the bill.

5) For those interested in Klitschko benchmarks, Kubrat Pulev (20-1) and Francesco Pianeta (31-1) come to mind, but at this point, Alexander Povetkin (28-1) may present too much of a risk—with the emphasis at “this point.” Carlos Takem (30-2-1) would be safer.

6) The winner of the Vyacheslav Glazkov (19-0-1) vs. Steve Cunningham (28-6) match set for March 14. Cunningham provides a Tyson Fury benchmark

7) Ruslan Chagaev (33-2-1) is as tough as nails but would present little risk to the NEW Heavyweight Champion..

Manuel Charr (27-2) has several decent notches on his belt and, by extension, Wilder could claim them by waxing Char.

9) Mike Perez (20-1-1) is durable and skilled but also boring and presents minimal fan interest.

10) Bryant Jennings (19-0) will be 19-1 after he is crunched by Klitschko, but if he surprises and puts up a good battle, he would quickly be a very viable opponent. Don’t look for that to happen.

Others that come to mind are Joseph Parker, Shannon Briggs, Eric Molina, Mark de Mori, Artur Szpilka, and Luca Browne.

Wilder has now become the first undefeated American heavyweight champion since Riddick Bowe in 1992 and the first American champion since the aforementioned Briggs won the crown in 2006 by beating Siarhei Liakhovich with one second left in the last round.

I think Tony Thompson would be perfect but on some level, I’d personally like to see Wilder fight Briggs (now 57-6-2) and erase him from the boxing landscape. But if Briggs were somehow someway able to upset Wilder, a Briggs-Klitschko fight would suddenly become a mega fight. Stranger things have occurred.
    Good thread with plenty of options. The hangup is Wilder, who has some say about who he fights now.
    He wants Fury, I guess because they've been sniping at each other on social media.
    I want to see Wilder fighting guys his own size before he fights Wlad. I think it would be a mistake for Fury to take the fight, I don't think he can handle the power.
    Now I hear Wilder broke/injured his hand fighting Stiverne, so it could be a while before a decision is made about anything.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad for me, but I see Fury baiting him in with the trash-talk.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Fury won't last with Wilder, not a chance.

One guy we're not mentioning that MIGHT be on the list is Shannon Briggs...old, big talker, not mobile, easy to hit.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

One guy we're not mentioning that MIGHT be on the list is Shannon Briggs...old, big talker, not mobile, easy to hit.
    And it would sell well here in the states!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to see him fight another young, undefeated prospect. Tyson Fury, Andy Ruiz Jr or Glazkov would all be suitable opponents, then the winner of Wlad/Jennings.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I want to see him fight another young, undefeated prospect. Tyson Fury, Andy Ruiz Jr or Glazkov would all be suitable opponents, then the winner of Wlad/Jennings.
    Then Wlad can live happily ever after as unified champ.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mention him at the end. I'd love to see Wilder knock the moron out cold.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    youve thought about that havent you

it would be great if he fought fury, strike whilst the irons hot, is there a hotter more lucrative iron out there?

Yes, I wrote an article about it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury is most likely, Povetkin, Glazkov, Browne, Szpilka might be on the radar too.
    I think povetkin is going to be taking someone on for the wbc mandatory shot, I can't remember who, so he will be further down the line..

I suspect that it is no coincidence that wladimir is fighting the current wbc mandatory(jennings) and there has been talk of Wilder v fury, fury is of course the mandatory for wladimir, so I think wilder will take on fury fairly soon(maybe wilder can squeeze in some crap stay busy fight before it happens) but I think the higher powers are moving things/eliminating the mandatorys to set up wilder v wlad for the end of the year ...

Not sure of the date fury fights but if it is pretty soon then I think wilder fights fury next, if it is still a ways away then wilder will take on some loud mouth donkey or some old geezer with a semi famous name and if he survives then after that is wladimir.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets hope Fury it would be cool to see such a big man get knocked out and he needs the reality rehab.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post

Possibilities include:

[F
    ONT=Arial]I think Tony Thompson would be perfect but on some level, I’d personally like to see Wilder fig
    ht Briggs (now 57-6-2) and erase him from the boxing landscape. But if Briggs were somehow someway able to upset Wilder, a Briggs-Klitschko fight would suddenly become a mega fight. Stranger things have occurred.
    [/FONT]
    Great piece, thanks for the analysis. I think putting any sensible comparisons between the piss poor 'world class' heavyweights now is a terribly difficult job, with a few exceptions there is no class out there! The american athletes are playing football or basketball, more money, less hassle and no dodgy promoters to deal with.

Out of the ones you mention I think Tony Thompson is a class act, and David Price could become one (as long as he avoids Thompson!) Tyson Fury is a media hype job and has been ever since he was christened, and Lucas Browne is just a fat bum who a gullible Ricky Hatton is wasting his money on.

Solis has been dissapointing but may get his act together.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybodys got one - was that a Clint Eastwood quote?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it'll be someone considered a soft touch and wouldn't shock if it were say a Eric Molina

Thread Information