Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    [
    15 round title fights would improve the quality of the sport from fighter to viewer.
    In what way exactly? Longer fights = more energy conservation. People don't want to see long drawn out fights.

I never understood the logic for 15 round fights. Generally less action and energy expenditure per round, and more risk of permanent injury, dehydration, ect for the fighter. Its hard to get behind any idea that a) won't draw in new fans and b) makes it harder for the athletes involved in one of the hardest sports to compete in.

People are interested in explosive displays of athleticism. Said it before and I'll say it again, thats why everyone in the world has heard of Usain Bolt and he's considered the fastest man in the world. No one is asking him to run a marathon to prove he's the fastest. No one gives a shit.
    I think it would force athletes to be in better shape. Not sure whether it would draw more or not as it has not been done in over 25 years. The injury thing is a fallacy. More people have died and been injured in 12s then 15s and the change had nothing to do with safety or health concerns even though the attempted to sell it that way.

15 round fights do nothing to take away explosive displays. Never heard that before and some of the best rounds in history are 13 to 15. Leonard would have lost to Hearns had it been 12 and lost to Hagler had it been 15 and close fights and shitty calls imo would not happen near as much. It would have helped fights like Hop/Taylor 1 and 2 and countless others.

Each to their own. I prefer 15 for title fights.
    Have to go against you on this one. I don't see where the payoff is for the fans. You'll have longer, slower paced fights, which sucks!
    They'll never go back to 15 rounders, in my opinion.
    Probably not but its because of economics and not anything to do with boxing. The reason they changed it to begin with was that 12 rds fit into an hour long format on tv not because Mancini beat Kim to death. It suited commercials better and it never ran over other shows. Given that boxing is more event based then legacy based I doubt it changes and based on the coddling and pussification of the sport and society in general I suspect 12 will turn to 8 by the middle of this century
    Like you say, it's whatever you like.

I don't care for the 15 rounders. I can't see that adding those three rounds will improve boxing in any way.
    Sorry, I just can't see any benefit to the fighters, the fans, or boxing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: bring back 15 round fights

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    there was nothing like the 13th 14th and 15th around coming down the stretch and letting it all hang out and seeing which boxer really wanted the decision more than the other it is rather wimpy to find only 12 rounds any audience is not getting its money's worth 15 rounds should be reinstituted immediately
    Especially for unification fights. And if only for unification fights.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

watch the first Carlos palomino v Armando Muniz fight and you'll be hooked on 15 round fights and understand exactly what is meant when somebody says "the championship rounds."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    watch the first Carlos palomino v Armando Muniz fight and you'll be hooked on 15 round fights and understand exactly what is meant when somebody says "the championship rounds."

But,

Those kind of bouts are far and few between.

Checkout;
    * Muhammad Ali vs. Alfredo Evangelista > An example in Root Canal.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

But,

Those kind of bouts are far and few between.

Checkout;
    * Muhammad Ali vs. Alfredo Evangelista > An example in Root Canal.
    Exactly, you can't just look at the best of something and assume thats what you're going to get every time.

What if Floyd/Baldomir, Ruiz/Rahman, Wlad/Ibragimov, Lewis/Tua or virtually any Andre Ward fight was 15 rounds?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol well look, some of you prefer 12 and don't think 15 improves anything. I prefer 15 and think it improves everything.

Thee end. There is no convincing. People don't even read in half of these squabbles.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol well look, some of you prefer 12 and don't think 15 improves anything. I prefer 15 and think it improves everything.

Thee end. There is no convincing. People don't even read in half of these squabbles.
    That's my biggest complaint, some of y'all just won't listen to me.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

That's my biggest complaint, some of y'all just won't listen to me.

Lol

What do you want me to say? You are as old if not older then I am. I started watching boxing when I was 8. People always dismiss fighters because they never saw them and like to dismiss their accomplishments for the same reason. They base this on a lack of empirical evidence. Well I'm basing my comparisons of the two on empirical evidence having had the privilege through being born in 1958 of experiencing them both live and in real time. So now I am to forget about that empirical necessity or condition if its met? Its just to much and ftr the wide majority by far of the best title fights I have seen have been 15 rounds.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you think you are special or about you are a privilege lot of rules just because you were born in 1958 well guess what I was born in 1250 BC you don't know anything about Egyptian monuments or Sumerian planets which are revolving around the Sun you can all go away soon so I don't have to listen to your nonsense anymore Marvin Hagler is definitely knocked out john the Beast Mugabep about you are a privilege lot of rules just because you were born inecial 1958 well guess what I was born in 1250 BC you don't know anything about Egyptian monuments or Sumerian planets which are revolving around the Sun you can all go away soon so I don't have to listen to your nonsense anymore

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

15 is the ultimate test and if you can master that then you may consider yourself TBE. Floyd is not TBE as he never gone the full distance to even prove he is the best. All the true greats did 15 rounds. 12 rounds is enough time to spoil and clinch to run down the clock. 15 rounds would show who is who. It's only 45 minutes, but 36 minutes, is diluting it down to something silly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you want me to say? You are as old if not older then I am. I started watching boxing when I was 8. People always dismiss fighters because they never saw them and like to dismiss their accomplishments for the same reason. They base this on a lack of empirical evidence. Well I'm basing my comparisons of the two on empirical evidence having had the privilege through being born in 1958 of experiencing them both live and in real time. So now I am to forget about that empirical necessity or condition if its met? Its just to much and ftr the wide majority by far of the best title fights I have seen have been 15 rounds.
    Nobody is saying you can't like 15 round fights, I'm telling you a) it makes it harder on the fighters and b) it wouldn't draw a dime more for boxing. And personally, I don't see why anyone would support something that fucked with the fighters in an already dangerous sport and wouldn't draw any more interest or money into the sport. It's moronic.

Don't act like I'm not reading your posts or understanding what you're saying. You're not that deep, brah.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it makes it 'harder' on the fighters. You adjust your training. Honestly, I think that the weight games they play now are more damaging than the way it used to be.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be interesting to try and debate what results would have been different if the 15 rounder had been scheduled for 12, and vice versa.

I think Hagler may have stopped Leonard if it had been a fifteen rounder. Ironically, Hearns would have out pointed Sugar Ray had they fought a twelve rounder?

norton may well have out pointed Holmes too.

One can always argue that a fighter would have paced themselves differently, but it would be a fun argument.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it makes it 'harder' on the fighters.
    You're talking about taking a gruelling task - a 12 round fight - where the chances of injury and dehydration are significant as it is, and prolonging it by 25%, to the benefit of absolutely no one besides old men so they can relive their childhood or something. Of course it makes it harder on the boxers. The Boston Marathon is 26 miles, if you add 4-5 miles on top of that of course you're increasing the risk significantly.

It's probably the dumbest discussion you can have on boxing. There's absolutely no argument for 15 rounders other than "...fuck off, I like 15 rounders." It's like talking to a 10 year old.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about, until the last man or woman is standing.

Take away the Judges for Scoring.

Just have a good Referee, and let the 'bastards' beat each other to death.

General George S. Patton >

"There is no glory in War, unless you can see your enemy's brains splattered all
    over the Battlefield."

Thread Information