Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What if Leon Spinks had fought Larry Holmes the night he beat Ali?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What if Leon Spinks had fought Larry Holmes the night he beat Ali?

Leon was so hot that night, and on a roll, I think like Buster DOuglas, some guys just come into the ring and are destined to win. I think Leon woulda won that night against anybody he fought. I think Buster Douglas woulda won that night he beat Tyson against anybody who came into the ring. Its like angels are surrounding these guys on certain nights and they are not going to lose no matter what.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What if Leon Spinks had fought Larry Holmes the night he beat Ali?

February 15, 1978

~ Larry Holmes Stops Leon Spinks By A TKO In 7 ~

Larry 'drops' Leon 3-Times in Round 7.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-15-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always thought that there was something very OFF about that two fight series so I cant objectively answer that question. Funny thing about the heavyweight division. It is w/o a doubt the most corrupted historically and the least competitive and yet remains the most prestigious in boxing and by many the greatest trophy in sport.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could say the same about Bowe aganst Holfield, Frazier against Ali (1971), Foreman against Frazier, Tyson against Berbick but was Leon that good or just beating an old and complacent champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leon's head movement, stamina and pesky aggression would have really frustrated Holmes I think. Leon wasnt coked out yet and was a tempered steel Marine young as all hell like a young stallion not taking NO for an answer.

maybe 1978 Leon spoils Holmes like Michael Spinks did in '86.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Leon's head movement, stamina and pesky aggression would have really frustrated Holmes I think. Leon wasnt coked out yet and was a tempered steel Marine young as all hell like a young stallion not taking NO for an answer.

No Holmes beats him as he was too good at the time to let any version of Spinks beat him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

No Holmes beats him as he was too good at the time to let any version of Spinks beat him.
    Holmes was so young and inexperienced. Norton was 33 and whipped his butt for 7 rounds of 15. Young fresh spring chicken Leon woulda been tougher to hit then the straight up Ken Norton.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spinks would have gotten the crap beat out of him, just as it happened when they DID fight, and every other time he fought a top guy Ali was a corpse by that point, and Ken Norton had clearly beaten him in their 3rd fight anyways, since you mentioned him.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leon was so hot that night, and on a roll, I think like Buster DOuglas, some guys just come into the ring and are destined to win. I think Leon woulda won that night against anybody he fought. I think Buster Douglas woulda won that night he beat Tyson against anybody who came into the ring. Its like angels are surrounding these guys on certain nights and they are not going to lose no matter what.
    But the time Spinks fought Ali the second time the drugs had already addled his brain and his body functions. The Spinks after Ali 1 was a drug addict incapable of doing much of anything.

Sorta like the Tyson post Robbin Givens and those anti-depressant cocktails they used to give him. Even with all of that shit they were feeding Tyson including the cocaine, he still was a good enough specimen to be believable.

Built Ford tough Mike Tyson was.

FUCK DON KING!!!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brock.... you know I'm not a Holmes fan. But no.

The only way Leon beats Holmes on any night is by bringing Michael in there with him.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

The only way Leon beats Holmes on any night is by bringing Michael in there with him.
    ... and even then they may have to rob Holmes. Twice. lol...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

yEAH THATS THE WAY THE sPINKS jINX WORKED IN sT. lOUIS i HEARD---THEY WOULD TAG TEAM other gang members, Leon got hit in the teeth with a crow bar, thats how he lost his teeth, bwahahah

Thread Information