Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Would Wlad wait around for Wilder if the latter mowed down his next 2-3 opponents?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would Wlad stick around for Wilder if the latter mows down another 2-3 top contenders

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would Wlad stick around for Wilder if the latter mows down another 2-3 top conten

That's your right to not like Wlad, but...

" let me point out that the whole premise of boxing is to actually engage the other guy and try to knock him out"

...it has to be pointed out that Wlad has 53 KO's in 63 victories. Joe Louis had 52 KO's in 66 victories, for reference.

So if the whole premise of boxing is to engage and try to knock your opponent out, Wlad has done a better job of it than just about any HW champ outside of George Foreman. Technically, he has a higher KO percentage than Mike Tyson.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would Wlad stick around for Wilder if the latter mows down another 2-3 top conten

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    That's your right to not like Wlad, but...

" let me point out that the whole premise of boxing is to actually engage the other guy and try to knock him out"

...it has to be pointed out that Wlad has 53 KO's in 63 victories. Joe Louis had 52 KO's in 66 victories, for reference.

So if the whole premise of boxing is to engage and try to knock your opponent out, Wlad has done a better job of it than just about any HW champ outside of George Foreman. Technically, he has a higher KO percentage than Mike Tyson.

You're right, Bean. Stats are stats... and that one is right there to be seen. Notice I haven't once said Wlad isn't a great HW, nor that he shouldn't one day be in the HOF. My beef is strictly style-related... and I think Wlad, as great as he is, could've been so much more popular (especially in the U.S.), and maybe have risen a notch or two in the final assessment of the greatest HW's in history. For the reasons I stated before, it is my personal opinion that he's going to be slightly shortchanged in public opinion when all is said and done.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's cool. I'm not Wlad's PR guy so it's not my job to make people like the guy. I'm not a huge fan of him myself, I don't get excited for his fights like I would a Pacquaio, Kovalev, GGG, LEMIEUX, ect.

I just gotta give the guy his due: he doesn't get hit, and more often than not he closes the show on his opponent. Can't ask for much more from a guy.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still...... what better way to close out a career than against a two-handed banger like Wilder.... IF..... and that's a huge IF..... Wilder develops into the kind of complete fighter nobody so far thinks he will be. 'Cause as opposed to the naysayers who will never give Wilder his due.... I give him full credit for his systematic dismantling of Bermane Stiverne. Two more of those showings, especially if Wilder is taken into the later rounds..... and I think we have a potential "cherry on the top" type of fight for Wladimir Klitschko.

El Kabong Guest

Who are Wilder's "naysayers"?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    My beef is strictly style-related... and I think Wlad, as great as he is, could've been so much more popular (especially in the U.S.), and maybe have risen a notch or two in the final assessment of the greatest HW's in history. For the reasons I stated before, it is my personal opinion that he's going to be slightly shortchanged in public opinion when all is said and done.
    Is it more important to win fights or fans? Shortchanged in public opinion....yeah I'm sure that Wlad will cry himself to sleep every night on his bed of money which he shares with a young Hollywood actress....oh the horror that awaits him in retirement

Wlad was only ONE OF the Greats, not THE Greatest....he threw it all away because he wouldn't fight in a style that shortened his career and gave his opponents a better opportunity to beat him.....he just threw it all away

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be said too that Wlad doesn't really have the incentive to be more exciting that guys in America do, because he has a dedicated fan base in Germany where he'll make millions per fight and people will flock to the arenas to see him regardless of whether or not he fights in an exciting fashion or not. As far as I know the German's who go to see him aren't complaining and really they are the ones paying his salary, so what else can you do?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pride alone would mean Wlad would stay and make sure he beats Wilder because everyone will think he was scared at the first genuine opponent as champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Pride alone would mean Wlad would stay and make sure he beats Wilder because everyone will think he was scared at the first genuine opponent as champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sarcasm always comes out, don't it?

See below.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    My beef is strictly style-related... and I think Wlad, as great as he is, could've been so much more popular (especially in the U.S.), and maybe have risen a notch or two in the final assessment of the greatest HW's in history. For the reasons I stated before, it is my personal opinion that he's going to be slightly shortchanged in public opinion when all is said and done.
    Is it more important to win fights or fans? Shortchanged in public opinion....yeah I'm sure that Wlad will cry himself to sleep every night on his bed of money which he shares with a young Hollywood actress....oh the horror that awaits him in retirement

As a boxing fan who presumably enjoys action-filled, exciting fights..... does it really matter to you one way or another whether Wlad has a bed of money or that he shares it with a young Hollywood actress? It's not like you're getting a commission..... Most of us couldn't give a rat's ass what Wlad's lifestyle is, or will be after he retires. I only care about the way he fights.

Wlad was only ONE OF the Greats, not THE Greatest....he threw it all away because he wouldn't fight in a style that shortened his career and gave his opponents a better opportunity to beat him.....he just threw it all away

Again..... are those my only two choices? Fight like a scared deer, protecting that glass chin...... or rush in recklessly in a way that will shorten his career?? So there's nothing in the middle?? Hmmm..... this boxing sport is weird, ain't it?

Arguments with you are fine, until you start treading that ridiculousness line.
    Then it all goes to shit.

El Kabong Guest

See below.

As a boxing fan who presumably enjoys action-filled, exciting fights..... does it really matter to you one way or another whether Wlad has a bed of money or that he shares it with a young Hollywood actress? It's not like you're getting a commission..... Most of us couldn't give a rat's ass what Wlad's lifestyle is, or will be after he retires. I only care about the way he fights.

Again..... are those my only two choices? Fight like a scared deer, protecting that glass chin...... or rush in recklessly in a way that will shorten his career?? So there's nothing in the middle?? Hmmm..... this boxing sport is weird, ain't it?

You completely missed the first point while stating EXACTLY the way Wlad feels...bravo, well done. The point being Wlad's the champion he's in the ring, he's the one with the belts, he's the one doing the fighting, why the hell should he give 1 single solitary damn about your opinion? Wlad packs stadiums without the help of these so called boxing fans you mention who "hate his style". Wlad will fight in the manner that best suits him and if you look at his record this style suits him just fine.

You're very quick to toss around that "fight scared" line ABOUT THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD....just sit back for a second and think about that. Think about a guy who has an Olympic Gold medal, has been champion multiple times, is the 3rd longest reigning heavyweight champion in the history of the sport, has stopped 53 fighters in 63 wins.....yet to YOU Wlad fights "scared".

.....do much professional boxing Titofan? Ever done any amateur boxing? If you have maybe you'll recall that it isn't the easiest thing to do. My point is we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and Wlad has learned about himself, maximized his strengths and limited his weaknesses and in doing so he has become one of the greatest heavyweight champions in the history of the sport.....all without your support...I know, it's truly shocking

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad fights scared in the sense that he could finish fights a lot quicker but waits for his opponent to show no sign of resistance before he moves for the stoppage. It is clear to see.

He finished Pulev off quick because he was rattled to his toes by the jab in the first round.

El Kabong Guest

Wlad fights scared in the sense that he could finish fights a lot quicker but waits for his opponent to show no sign of resistance before he moves for the stoppage. It is clear to see.

He finished Pulev off quick because he was rattled to his toes by the jab in the first round.
    ....is it just me or does anyone else see a complete disconnect between paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 here?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....is it just me or does anyone else see a complete disconnect between paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 here?
    Just you. The one fight he looked impressive and went for it was because he was in deep trouble from the the first jab that Pulev threw that rocked Wlad.

Wlad impressively went on his toes and to find his legs and regain his composure but knew he had to take out Pulev otherwise he would be stopped like he was against Saunders.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See below.

You completely missed the first point while stating EXACTLY the way Wlad feels...bravo, well done. The point being Wlad's the champion he's in the ring, he's the one with the belts, he's the one doing the fighting, why the hell should he give 1 single solitary damn about your opinion? Wlad packs stadiums without the help of these so called boxing fans you mention who "hate his style". Wlad will fight in the manner that best suits him and if you look at his record this style suits him just fine.

You're very quick to toss around that "fight scared" line ABOUT THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD....just sit back for a second and think about that. Think about a guy who has an Olympic Gold medal, has been champion multiple times, is the 3rd longest reigning heavyweight champion in the history of the sport, has stopped 53 fighters in 63 wins.....yet to YOU Wlad fights "scared".

.....do much professional boxing Titofan? Ever done any amateur boxing? If you have maybe you'll recall that it isn't the easiest thing to do. My point is we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and Wlad has learned about himself, maximized his strengths and limited his weaknesses and in doing so he has become one of the greatest heavyweight champions in the history of the sport.....all without your support...I know, it's truly shocking

No.... never done any boxing. I guess that disqualifies me from having an opinion on Wladimir's boxing style.

Well.... without my support isn't technically correct. I've probably been responsible for at least one-billionth of his earnings.

Yes.... Wlad does fight scared. But don't take my word for it. Read another very good analysis/ description provided in the other Wlad thread. There's a difference between clinching strategically, in between offensive flurries...... and clinching out of fear, and only going on the attack when the other guy has negative 20% chance of hitting back.

I hope this helps.

Thread Information