Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Saddo's Pound 4 Pound List & bickering thread...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Official Saddo's Pound 4 Pound List & bickering thread...

As of the month of November, 2006...here are the current changes that I have made to our P4P list.

Before we set it in stone, I want everyone to discuss it here & also if need be we can make changes...that's up to you...the forum goers.

I am going to keep this as the sticky-thread for our section here & once we get settled from month to month I will save the rankings & delete the thread & re-new it with each month or big fight.

Here's the list...so let's talk my brothers...

Saddo's Official Pound 4 Pound List November, 2006:

1: "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather. Continuing to work his way through the ranks of each weight within arm's reach, Little Floyd cements his status as the #1 P4P Champion of recent years...filling in where Hopkins left off. Boasting recent wins over Gatti, Judah, Mitchell, & his 12 round unanimous decision over Carlos Baldomir, Mayweather has hung another strap around his waist. Impressively, Floyd is still running on an undefeated record of 37 wins with 24 knokckouts & always over coming the competition in humiliating fashion, Floyd has muscled his way to the top spot of the 147 mark. Only one strap & contender left to conquer & that is Margarito & his WBA ranking. Instead, Floyd has decided to defy all logic & odds as he makes a bid for the WBC's Light Middleweight Title. Who holds this title? None other than the Golden Boy Oscar De La Hoya, himself. In the past, Floyd has set insurmountable goals & he has always conquered them. On top of that, he has effectively answered quite a few questions pertaining to his chin & his ability to maintain the weights succesfully as he continues to rise to the occassion. A career defining win against any of the top 10 Welters or Light Welters should have solidified Mayweather's title as "The Man to Beat" & earned him accolades of respect, but for some reason...it did not come about. Floyd is even more hated & unappreciated now than before. Sad but true. Maybe a win over Oscar will change the mind of the people...maybe not. Maybe he will beat Oscar...maybe not. Can Floyd continue to rise above them all or will he fall to the ground like a star that's climbed to far into the atmosphere? Hard questions to answer...but one thing is for sure...no matter what Floyd does...he will always be plagued by the scorn of purists & casual fans alike.

2: Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao has done a hell of a lot over the past 5 years and he just keeps on trucking. In winning or losing he's gained a shat load of fans. After beating the likes of Hussein, Velazquez, Lucero, and the great Marco Antonio Barrera he has stamped his name on the Super Bantamweight division. To date, his grip on the Super Feather & Featherweight division seems to be tightening also. After drawing with Marquez, Pacquiao moved on to score against Erik Morales with an impressive knockdown drag out fight that resulted in the first knock down & out loss of Morales glorious career. Pac, taking no gimmee's then moved on to stamp out a 12 rounder over the durable Oscar Larios. 4 months later a third fight with Morales would end abruptly in a 3rd round knockout of the Tijuana warrior...most likely ending the career of the great Erik "El Terrible" Morales. Now that a rematch with Marco Antonio Barrera has been solidified for March of 2007...Pacquiao's star can continue to rise to the heavens of boxing greatness...or fall scorching to the ground under the fists of another P4P legend...Barrera. Being a fan of Barrera...my money's on Pac. We shall see.

3: Ronald "Winky" Wright. Let's face it...Wright has worked hard to get to where he is and being in the #2 spot on a P4P list aint all that bad...but he goes down one...just due to the fact that Manny blew out a P4P great this month...if Wright humiliates Quartey...then we have a P4P delima on our hands. Winky Wright faces, quite often, the same scorn as Floyd Mayweather does...just not the same level of unappreciation that Mayweather does. Often criticized for being a safety first fighter...a boring fighter...blah blah blah blah. No matter what spews from the lips of the "couch bound arm chair warriors" as they clasp their remotes each Saturday night, Wright keeps on winning & surprising all. Of recent date Wright came to a controversial draw with our newly oppointed middleweight prince, Jermain Taylor. Prior to that...Wright shocked the world by humiliating Felix Trinidad & then boxing awkward, volume punching, Aussie Sam Solimon to a stand still. No matter what Wright does...he's rarely on the recieving end of love from the casual fan. Look for Wright to be taken to then end of his rope agianst Ike Quartey this December in what promises to be an action packed showdown.

4: Marco Antonio Barrera. By majority vote, the forums gave this man third place by a land slide...but once again..."the Baby Faced Assasin" get's dropped by Manny Pacquiao. Barrera has jumped leaps and bounds up through the weight classes and he has never turned down an offer taking on anyone and everyone that was ignorant enough to call his name. The two time conqueror of Morales & once victim of Manny Pacquiao now has the opportunity, once again, to prove his greatness next year as the date has been set for a rematch with the infamous Manny Pacquiao. With a win, not only is redemption at stake, but the chance to finally cement his name in pound for pound history. Barrera constantly betters himself with each outting and like a fine wine he seems to just age gracefully. The only dark horse here is that Barrera has toiled in rematch city all year with Juarez...& there were some struggles involved...it makes one wonder how he will hold up under the fists of Pac...who seems to be a wizard in rematches. You can't help but develop a taste for him. We gave Pac the bump to second place...2 notches above MAB due to the fact that he just keeps conquering and stepping up the opposition. Can the same be said for Barrera?

5: Rafael Marquez. Rafael Marquez is one of the best kept secrets in boxing. The Marquez brothers have both skyrocketed to fame in the last 3 or 4 years...but it's Rafael, with his blistering knockout power, that is finally starting to gain prestige. To see Marquez in form and on point is almost amazing. He currently runs a record of 39 fights, 36 wins with 32 knockouts, and 3 losses. Not too bad. He's brought a lot of recognition to the almost ignored Bantamweight division in recent years and he has defended his IBF strap nine times in a row. Again...not bad. The kid definently owns his division.

6: Joe Calzaghe. Joe Calzaghe has dominated his division from the get go and now takes a huge leap in our P4P Rankings! As an amatuer Calzaghe was nothing short of amazing...what he did Saturday March 3rd, 2006 was the accomplishment of his lifetime. His professional career consists of running undefeated in 41 fights with 31 ko's starting in 1993. That says it all. Joe just passed the turning point of his career by defeating world wide recognized top Super Middleweight IBF Title holder Jeff Lacy. The American public and world media has no other choice than to respect and recognize the Pride of Wales as the Undisputed Unified Super Middleweight Man of the Hour...he's all that and that much more. After going a the full 12 with Bika...Joe has faced some criticism...his logical opponant is 168lb Danish Kingpin Mikkel Kessler. If Joe were to play checkers & jump this challenge...his career could fall deep into question. Again...another year is nearly here...& another cliffhanger keeps our mouths watering. Will Joe rise to the occassion again? We shall see.

7: Ricky Hatton. Hatton, a lot like Floyd, has done a lot...but that nagging question has always been out there...who has Hatton done a lot against? Well...he beat Kostya Tszyu and he beat Maussa pretty damned convincingly...so that my friends equates to who and also a lot. Even though he has an undefeated record and always besting the competition, many showed him little respect...well he's got it now...or partially. Hatton was to take the U.S. by storm as he faced Collazo at 147lbs. The Welterweight division & his first opponant turned out to be a bit of a struggle for Hatton, he didn't win all of America over, & he's dropped back down to 140lbs...but being an unbiased Yank (or liking to think I am)...you want to give him a second chance...just to see if he's hype worthy. A future showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr remains to be the focus of Hatton's career...but he's moved down since the questionable performance against Collazo & Floyd has skyrocketed upwards & even farther to 154. Next up he's set to face hard hitting Urango & if all goes well there...Castillo. Hefty plates for a thin menu. Let's see how he handles the buffet.

8: Jermain Taylor. After winning two decisions over Super Champion Bernard Hopkins and dominating everyone that he has faced to date...it's high time that Jermain be moved onto our list. Young, marketable, skilled, and powerful Jermain has cut an impressive record with wins against names like Hopkins, Joppy, Eduord, Cuevas, and Marquez. Recently drawing with Wright...Taylor remains on the list...but it's hard to say what will happen in the future of Jermain Taylor. A rematch with Wright is what fans probably most want...but a disgruntled Wright seems ready to pass on such after putting forth the fight of his career. Wright will take on Ike Quartey...& in a mind boggler...Taylor will take on Kassim Ouma. If that aint enough to keep you scratching your heads...our heir apparent has announced that he will vacate his titles & RUN up to 168lbs. Stranger things.

9: Juan Manuel Marquez. Oddly enough after his loss to Chris John...we brought Marquez back onto the list...and rightly so. With his impressive stoppage in his most recent outting against Jandaeng. Next on the list is Jimrex Jaca...after that...let's just hope that Marquez is sealing & stamping the envelope to appeal for a rematch against Chris John in the very near future. A fight that would gain redemption & one that he could clearly win...on nuetral soil.

10: Jose Luis Castillo. No explanation needed here...but maybe your wondering why he's in the 10 slot? Inactivity & conduct. Not fighting...not making weight...suspensions...blah blah blah. Look at the record and this guy has to make a splash in the P4P division. With wins over the best in his division and around the bend against the likes of Corrales, Casamayor, Johnston, Lazcano, Diaz, and a really really close one to Floyd...there aint much room to argue here. Castillo's exciting, powerful, and really hard to beat.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Official Saddo's P4P Monthy & Big Fight Update Thread

Calzaghe should be higher. He was at no.5 before the weekend and after that performance he deserves to be raised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace
    Calzaghe should be higher. He was at no.5 before the weekend and after that performance he deserves to be raised.
    I just raised him to #5.

He was @ #7. JMM has been bumped. Cotto added on & Calzaghe leap frogged Ricky's #5 spot.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

D'oh! My mistake then, still think he should be higher though based on his performance and long undefeated record. #5's a good start

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK..........heres the way I see it.

1. PBF
    2. WINKY
    3. MAB
    4. PAC
    5. JOE
    6. HATTON
    7. R. MARQUEZ
    8. J.L. CASTILLO
    9. TONEY
    10. C. JOHN

* I put John at #10 cuz he did defeat JMM who was IMO @ #5 on my list so he has to crack in at #10.
    * I don't think Cotto has done enough to crack the P4P list yet but hes getting there.
    *IMO anytime you defeat a 'P4Pounder that automatically puts you at least at #10 looking at the other accomplishments/achivements will help you land higher as in the case of Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My list as I see it is:

1. PBF
    2. Calzaghe
    3. Winky
    4. MAB
    5. Pacman
    6. Hatton
    7. J. L. Castillo
    8. Rafael Marquez
    9. Tony (though I hate to admit it)
    10. Cotto

The last two were tough, couldn't really decide but eventually I figured you had the list about right for # 9 and 10.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Cotto as top 10 p4p. He looked good this weekend, but he still has some obvious flaws, and would get the beatdown from hatton, margarito, or pbf. i'd give the 10 spot to tarver--he has his problems, but he's proven himself more than cotto has, and i think he's more skilled (if less focused).

calzaghe as top 5 seems really inflated to me too. i know people are excited from the lacy fight, but no one can argue that lacy is an elite fighter, so how does beating him (ok, thoroughly dominating him) rocket you up in this list? it's unfortunate, but Joe's in an exceptionally weak division, so it's hard to tell how good he is p4p. he clearly dominates SMW, but I can't judge him p4p without seeing him fight top guys at lightheavy--tarver in particular. i definitely don't put him aheaed of hatton though, regardless--hatton is much more proven.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Click for the thread Wacko - good descriptions and I agree with the Top 5
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My two pence:

My last list (23rd February 2006) is:

1: Barrera
    2: Wright
    3: Mayweather
    4: Tarver
    5: Pacquiao
    6: Taylor
    7: Hatton
    8: Castillo
    9: Marquez (Juan Manuel)
    10: Marquez (Rafael)

My new list (6th March 2006) is:

1: Barrera
    2: Wright
    3: Mayweather
    4: Tarver
    5: Pacquiao
    6: Taylor
    7: Hatton
    8: Castillo
    9: Marquez (Rafael)
    10: John

John finds a place at #10 as he beat Juan Manual Marquez

Rafael Marquez moves up a place on the strength of his brother’s defeat.

Although Joe was very impressive, with hindsight, he did not beat a pound for pound top 10 entrant, nor does his record deserve recognition in the top ten at the moment. But the fact he gets recognized in a pound for pound footnote, suggests he is almost top 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright...later tonight I'll drop Cotto & place Chris John @ 10.

How's that make our list look?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Alright...later tonight I'll drop Cotto & place Chris John @ 10.

How's that make our list look?
    Better IMO being a Cotto fan you can't argue the fact that John desoivs the #10 spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Toney on the p4p list?

Here's mine:

Floyd Mayweather
    Winky Wright
    Manny Pacquiao
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Ricky Hatton
    Jose Luis Castillo
    Joe Calzaghe
    Rafael Marquez
    Chris John
    Juan Manuel Marquez

Doing everything I can to keep James Toney, Jermain Taylor, and Antonio Tarver OFF the list.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's mine, for what it's worth

1)PBF
    2)winky
    3)Pac-I change my mind on Winky and Pac's positioning daily
    4)Barrera
    5)Jose Luis Castillo-same thing for Barrera and Castillo as Winky and Pac
    6)Hatton
    7)Calzaghe
    Rafael Marquez-this guy could be higher actually, probably would be if he was at a higher weight

And here's where I get completely and totally indecisive, as if I wasn't allready

9)Tarver
    10)John-hate to put a guy in that I've never seen but oh well

Gonna wait for the Toney-Rahman fight, if he schools him then I'll replace Tarver with him, I'm itching to replace Tarver but I'm trying not to let my personal feelings get involved with it

Martin Castillo and Arce just haven't done quite enough yet IMO although I think there possible future picks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Here's mine, for what it's worth

1)PBF
    2)winky
    3)Pac-I change my mind on Winky and Pac's positioning daily
    4)Barrera
    5)Jose Luis Castillo-same thing for Barrera and Castillo as Winky and Pac
    6)Hatton
    7)Calzaghe
    Rafael Marquez-this guy could be higher actually, probably would be if he was at a higher weight

And here's where I get completely and totally indecisive, as if I wasn't allready

9)Tarver
    10)John-hate to put a guy in that I've never seen but oh well

Gonna wait for the Toney-Rahman fight, if he schools him then I'll replace Tarver with him, I'm itching to replace Tarver but I'm trying not to let my personal feelings get involved with it

Martin Castillo and Arce just haven't done quite enough yet IMO although I think there possible future picks

I've got exactly the same list except I switch Calzaghe and Rafael Marquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good banter gents...I'm all ears still.

Thread Information