Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Andre ward vs GGG

If you were GGG would you keep milking it at middleweight or step up and catch ward at the worst time of his career?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is hugely disrespectful considering Golovkins run and attitude. Everyone should avoid Ward until he earns some kudos again.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Andre ward vs GGG

He's a small MW. Why should he give up height,reach,size and weight to fight at SMW. IMO , there's more chance of him going down to a catchweight with Canelo ( if Canelo dares) or go down to LMW to fight Floyd.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    He's a small MW. Why should he give up height,reach,size and weight to fight at SMW. IMO , there's more chance of him going down to a catchweight with Canelo ( if Canelo dares) or go down to LMW to fight Floyd.
    Simple.

For greatness.

He would get more kudos for beating ward than canelo.

Catchweight is possible even if ward isn't a main attraction for ticket sales GGG would attract the numbers.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Beanz in that there is absolutely no motivation for him to move up and fight Ward until Ward comes and back reestablishes himself as the man at 168, because right now his career is still on hiatus and he's been stripped of his belts and ranking. And before he moves up, I'd like to see him clean out his division first, which includes unifying the titles (IMO Cotto will vacate the belt and go back to 154 as opposed to fighting GGG, so he'll probably have to do it against someone else). I'd still love to see him in there with Kid Chocolate and the winner of Lemieux/N'Dam.

I think he'd be better off trying to lure Froch into a fight personally.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward is a horrible style match up for GGG. I see Ward as the only guy under 175 who can beat GGG right now. I agree that GGG is not a large middleweight and would be best served to remain at 160 and below for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I agree with Beanz in that there is absolutely no motivation for him to move up and fight Ward until Ward comes and back reestablishes himself as the man at 168, because right now his career is still on hiatus and he's been stripped of his belts and ranking. And before he moves up, I'd like to see him clean out his division first, which includes unifying the titles (IMO Cotto will vacate the belt and go back to 154 as opposed to fighting GGG, so he'll probably have to do it against someone else). I'd still love to see him in there with Kid Chocolate and the winner of Lemieux/N'Dam.

You see what you're placing value on is belts? You have to see this don't you? Opponents matter, not belts.

Let me give you an example
    Looking not at randomP4P lists but only year end Ring magazine P4P lists Floyd is scheduled to fight his 11th different opponent that was ranked in the top 10 at one point P4P.

GGG is only 5 years younger. He has not fought one man deserving of top 10 consideration. And you are not talking about him fighting a man deserving of top 10 consideration.

Floyd is scheduled to fight his 14th or 15th reigning champion. GGG has fought 0. I believe in this era when everyone has a championship only 2 of his opponents have ever even held a championship. Ouma who was washed up and 5 years removed from when he carried a belt in a lower class and Gaele who held a belt for about 5 minutes. I could be wrong about this there are so many trinket holders but the point remains.

The argument can be made "well Andre doesn't have a belt either". That is well and good but Andre has proven he can fight. Lee has not, Quillen has not, Cotto is not a middleweight. You're talking about him picking up another belt from another non champion.

Just answer this. What helps GGGs historical standing more, 5 more fights against unproven fighters or one fight against Ward?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one wants to fight ward and they just want to live in this bubble of excuses:-

"He cant sell tickets"
    "He has no belts"
    "He is too inactive"
    "He has to prove himself again"

There's no doubt that GGG is doing a great job but its pretty obvious they want no part of andre.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is cleaning up the middleweights and making money and establishing his legacy. That is the nature of the game. When he is good and ready he will seek bigger challenges.

It is not easy jumping up in weight and fighting Ward and Froch.

If you are bored of GGG then I suggest you watch another sport. He dismantles top fighters and it is artistic, not laboured or boring.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is Andre Ward? Never heard of him.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The middle weight maybe short of talent,! but GGG has done all asked and beat all his opponents,
    he really can't do more than that can HE.!
    Boxing fans are a strange bunch, nothing is ever good enough nobody is perfect, but in ring general
    ship GGG is pretty much perfection in my eyes.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG is cleaning up the middleweights and making money and establishing his legacy. That is the nature of the game. When he is good and ready he will seek bigger challenges.

It is not easy jumping up in weight and fighting Ward and Froch.

If you are bored of GGG then I suggest you watch another sport. He dismantles top fighters and it is artistic, not laboured or boring.
    So its fair that we should apply that rule to every boxer then?

So its okay to pick and choose for every fighter?

No one is knocking GGG ability I just think its very unfair to knock ward as if he is not a serious and viable option.

GGG will always be a fan favourite because he has that style that wants to fight etc but Ward is the complete opposite and thats why their styles would make a great fight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

You see what you're placing value on is belts? You have to see this don't you? Opponents matter, not belts.

Let me give you an example
    Looking not at randomP4P lists but only year end Ring magazine P4P lists Floyd is scheduled to fight his 11th different opponent that was ranked in the top 10 at one point P4P.

GGG is only 5 years younger. He has not fought one man deserving of top 10 consideration. And you are not talking about him fighting a man deserving of top 10 consideration.

Floyd is scheduled to fight his 14th or 15th reigning champion. GGG has fought 0. I believe in this era when everyone has a championship only 2 of his opponents have ever even held a championship. Ouma who was washed up and 5 years removed from when he carried a belt in a lower class and Gaele who held a belt for about 5 minutes. I could be wrong about this there are so many trinket holders but the point remains.

The argument can be made "well Andre doesn't have a belt either". That is well and good but Andre has proven he can fight. Lee has not, Quillen has not, Cotto is not a middleweight. You're talking about him picking up another belt from another non champion.

Just answer this. What helps GGGs historical standing more, 5 more fights against unproven fighters or one fight against Ward?
    Ok. So say he fights Ward and beats Ward. what will people say? They'll say "Ward isn't the fighter he was" or "Ward was ring rusty". It's a lose-lose. Ward needs to re-establish himself.(btw what happened to this "Ward fighting March-April time and 3 more times this year bollocks!)
    No opponent has been named , probably because he's finding it difficult to get a credible opponent who is not too dangerous. Forget about Ward-GGG for now. Ward has his own shit to sort out!
    Ps. A bit harsh calling the likes of Geale and Murray unproven. If the other top MW's keep ducking him, what's he to do?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id probably take ward of three years ago but now id probably lean towards ggg on pressure

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Id probably take ward of three years ago but now id probably lean towards ggg on pressure
    I would love to see a Sergio Martinez 4 years ago v GGG.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information