Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I'm back in the ring this Saturday

I've had a month out from fighting in march but I've come down a stone and I'll be boxing at 13 stone 4 for this one. My opponent pulled out but they have me a replacement, I no nothing about him apart from he's lighter than me. Trained hard for this though and I'm feeling better at the lower weight.

Also next month I'm boxing a former pro who's 49 , he's a southpaw and we are boxing for the BBU northern area light heavyweight title over 4 rounds. It's a strange one though because I can't find him out boxrec, and the guy who's putting on the show is called Craig winter and he's a former professional and he said he was his sparring partner. It's going to be a tough fight though , I've never really boxed a southpaw so I'm up for the challenge.

I'll let you all know how this weekend goes anyway, fingers crossed it's back to winning ways and I'll be better suited at the lower weight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I'm back in the ring this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I've had a month out from fighting in march but I've come down a stone and I'll be boxing at 13 stone 4 for this one. My opponent pulled out but they have me a replacement, I no nothing about him apart from he's lighter than me. Trained hard for this though and I'm feeling better at the lower weight.

Also next month I'm boxing a former pro who's 49 , he's a southpaw and we are boxing for the BBU northern area light heavyweight title over 4 rounds. It's a strange one though because I can't find him out boxrec, and the guy who's putting on the show is called Craig winter and he's a former professional and he said he was his sparring partner. It's going to be a tough fight though , I've never really boxed a southpaw so I'm up for the challenge.

I'll let you all know how this weekend goes anyway, fingers crossed it's back to winning ways and I'll be better suited at the lower weight.
    Go out there and have fun.

El Kabong Guest

Awesome!

vs the southpaw you'll use the overhand right and I'd also suggest left hook to the body. Let the ref make a decision on if it's a kidney punch because lefties I've sparred sometimes rolled and the punch can look close to the border. Also parry that jab and counter!

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dude that's great. I think it's good you took a month. You seem to be in the ring frequently. Even if you feel good it has to have an effect. Good luck on this one, I will be looking forward to the video.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Awesome!

vs the southpaw you'll use the overhand right and I'd also suggest left hook to the body. Let the ref make a decision on if it's a kidney punch because lefties I've sparred sometimes rolled and the punch can look close to the border. Also parry that jab and counter!
    I've got a former pro lee crossland as my main man to spar in this one. Also telling all of my sparring partners to turn southpaw for me as well. I'll be well up for this one. It won't be natural to me , but at least I've got time to prepare for it. 10th May is when we box.

El Kabong Guest

For some people Southpaws are kryptonite for others they are fodder and it really depends on the kind of southpaw you fight IMO.

If you have a slickster in there, you want to maul them, get their back on the ropes, push them in the corner, use your strength on them.

If you have a pressure fighter you fend them off with the 1-2, tie up, and turn them against the ropes/into the corner.

If you have a wild swinger defend and look to counter

The best weapons you will have are the left hook to the body which can also hit their tricep or their kidney depending on how they react to that. And that can take the legs away from the guy and/or drop that lead right which opens up a window for the left hook to the head and most importantly the right cross which you'll want to throw straighter rather than loop it. This my friend is the ABSOLUTE PERFECT time to use the feint right, big left hook...the southpaw ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS is told "Look for the right, look for the right" sell that feint hard, it'll move his hands and BANG surprise left hook. And if you're landing the hook to the body then all the better because you'll have him thinking "Oh, he's feinting the right hand, the left hook will come low" so you're moving his hands completely out of the way for the big shot up top. And this move doesn't have to have you looking for 1 big punch, just use the feints with your usual pressure and attack, add them in with your head movement and you'll do great I am sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have fun training and a great game, we expecting a video of it !

I wish you good luck!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some people Southpaws are kryptonite for others they are fodder and it really depends on the kind of southpaw you fight IMO.

If you have a slickster in there, you want to maul them, get their back on the ropes, push them in the corner, use your strength on them.

If you have a pressure fighter you fend them off with the 1-2, tie up, and turn them against the ropes/into the corner.

The best weapons you will have are the left hook to the body which can also hit their tricep or their kidney depending on how they react to that. And that can take the legs away from the guy and/or drop that lead right which opens up a window for the left hook to the head and most importantly the right cross which you'll want to throw straighter rather than loop it. This my friend is the ABSOLUTE PERFECT time to use the feint right, big left hook...the southpaw ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS is told "Look for the right, look for the right" sell that feint hard, it'll move his hands and BANG surprise left hook. And if you're landing the hook to the body then all the better because you'll have him thinking "Oh, he's feinting the right hand, the left hook will come low" so you're moving his hands completely out of the way for the big shot up top. And this move doesn't have to have you looking for 1 big punch, just use the feints with your usual pressure and attack, add them in with your head movement and you'll do great I am sure.
    Cheers mate I'll bear this in mind

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the best Tam.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

dog that old bastard to the body early, hit him good to the spleen and shit, he'll be sucking 49 year old wind by the mid 2nd round.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome!

Great tips there, take them aboard and I'm sure you will be fine.

Wish you all the best and good luck.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go Tam Go
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kick his arse, Tam.

El Kabong Guest

If the Southpaw is squared up against you land the 1-2, maybe look to throw an uppercut if you're inside. If he's giving you a more acute angle then dig to that body!

Keep your front foot outside his front foot that's a small tip, but it has big advantages

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its the taking part that matters not winning do yourself proud.

Regarding fighting a southpaw watch how Floyd handles Manny.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information